• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

After a day of hard charging my (X) is/are more sore than anything else. What does that tell us about my skiing?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
With me it's my calves and sometimes shins (muscles that lift my foot from the ankle, not actual shin bang). I'm thinking gas pedaling and the fact that I prefer my top boot buckles loose most of the time ... unless I'm about to run some gates or ski something particularly challenging for me.

Any other theories for me and what about you?? Where do the hot tub jets feel best on you after a day of hard charging on the slopes?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it's quads and a little glutes. My feet are too far forward at transition and I'm braking instead of carving, slarving. The long term fix, get better balanced. Immediate remedy, light foam roller, IB and/or other liquid medicine.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Days 1-5 in November: Shins complain. "Oh, no, this again!" They shut up after that.
Dec-April: Intermittent inexplicable bad boot days.
Select days in Jan-Feb Painful facial exfoliation in the wind driven frozen mist or sleet.
Late April-May: Toe bang.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Areas of muscle around previously injured left knee. I've had it pointed out to me that I'm asymmetrically using larger left leg knee angulation at the ends of turns to the point of getting A-framy on right turns. Probable remediation--stop over-dependence on knee angulation and replace it with stronger hip leveling.

Sore quads are a classic sign of back seat skiing, but realistically I think anyone charging hard and skiing well is likely to get a bit of quad soreness early season, because getting back at the ends of turns and using lots of flexion are good movements.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With me it's my calves

Calves issues at the end of day is usually a sign of frequent high heels wearing in your non-skiing life. It's OK, we do not judge. :duck: :ogbiggrin:

The only body part that is a little sore at the end of day is my throat. A beer is all I needed for relief.
But I am nowhere as core as @Gary Stolt . He can get by with a Bud light.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Right knee. The only things wrong with it are cartilage tendons and ligaments. It is okay doing short carved turns on the flats but pushing it on anything steeper or bumps it is only good for 30 turns or so. Finding myself getting more left leg dependent. Ibuprofen is my friend.
The solution is a knee replacement. Don't want to but don't know another solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thighs. Inefficient turning. Calves. Trying to push my feet down to get better edge pressure. For the record, it doesn't work. What worries me most is my knees are achy and that's new this year. Vitamin I.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tired thighs is a flashing red light that one is sitting back. I don't know about lower leg muscle soreness...trying too hard doing something that is better done another way?

For the knees, get x-rays. See what's wearing out. For some knees the artificial synovial fluid injections is a big help. Others just have to wait until they're ready for replacements. A very few shots of cortisone is probably OK, but not many. Too much deteriorates the tissue.

For the back, get videos. Are you putting it into a bad position? Get straighter. My back is a mess. I went to a pain clinic. Good move. The three steps there are PT, if that doesn't get the job done, then steriod shots. If more is needed, the nerve is deadened. So far for me, PT plus yoga plus judicious weight training is working good enough.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Park skiing - shins/whatever I fell on
Bumps - lower back, hamstrings
Carving - quads
Freeride - quads/whatever I fell on

Hard snow on fat skis, left knee gets sore

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Usually knees - patellar tendons and quad tendons (right below and above the kneecap). Has been alleviated significantly by improving technique but fore-aft balance could still stand to be improved. The root cause is chronic patellar tendinosis, diagnosed via ultrasound scan. Working on it with PT but it's a long road!

For some reason my calves always feel like hell after the first day or two of the season, but that always goes away and doesn't come back again until next season - maybe because I've always forgotten how to ski at the start of the season!!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You gotta stop by Taos and learn to ski like an old man. :ogbiggrin:
I actually do ski like an old man. Ask anyone. In general, skiing soft bumps most of the day causes less pain than skiing firm groomers all day. That should tell you something, but you will have to decide what.
That being said, I would love to see what a Taos ski week would teach me. Not in the cards this year.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
For some reason my calves always feel like hell after the first day or two of the season, but that always goes away and doesn't come back again until next season - maybe because I've always forgotten how to ski at the start of the season!!
some folks will say sore calves is an indication of curling toes down into footbed. Hard to recognize unless your look for it.

Sponsor

Staff online