• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Air getting into goggles

BOStoSEA

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone,

I have updated both my helmet and goggles this season and have noticed that I have started to get air coming in at higher speeds which leads to eyes watering to the point where i am somewhat concerned about crashing.

I am worried that this might be due to either my goggles being too big (Smith I/O Mag XL) or my helmet being too small (Smith Vantage MIPS size small - both purchases thanks too Sierra Trading Post for great deals, but probably not the ideal sizes). Will likely want to replace 1 of the 2 pieces, but would love to not have to replace both.

Does anyone have an initial thought on what might be causing this?

Thanks all for the help!

Smith - Vantage MIPS Helmet
Smith - I/O MAG XL Goggles

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have had some discussion regarding mask compatability and fogging. Tightening the goggle strap has been one of the cures, you might consider that.

TS
BOStoSEA

BOStoSEA

Booting up
Skier
Yeah have tried that and hasnt worked for me yet, but maybe just need to go a bit further on that.

Thanks

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does the radius of curvature of the goggle match the radius of curvature of your face? If not, there can be air gaps.

Or: maybe try some masking tape over some of the vents.

Is the foam intact over the vents? If not, more air will enter.

Does the goggle work independently, without the helmet? If so, then look for helmet/goggle interference.

Can you supply photos of the helmet and goggle installed on your face? Especially camera angles that will highlight any gaps or interferences.

TS
BOStoSEA

BOStoSEA

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the response.

It may be that the curvature doesnt really match my face, but i am also thinking that the helmet might sit too high and in order to not have a gap between helmet and goggles, the goggles go too high on my face leaving gaps around my nose - any thoughts on that as a possibility?

I have included some photos if there is anything you can notice.

Once again, thank you for the help

image_50406145.JPG
image_50428417.JPG
image_50422017.JPG

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same goggles and helmet, but a bigger size helmet, and I get air coming in even without a helmet, or with my bike helmet, so the helmet is not likely the issue.
Part of it is indeed the wide gap around the nose. This is great for comfort, but I do sometimes need to push the goggles down. I just push the helmet down too.

In general, especially with Covid masks, I rather have more air than less,,,

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Close one eye with your helmet and goggles on and look at the bridge of your nose. Close the other eye and do the same. If you see a gap there, you have identified the problem which might be solved by tightening the goggle strap.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In general, especially with Covid masks, I rather have more air than less,,,

Agreed.

On the OP question-it is the goggles, not the helmet.
I have a Quantum helmet with 4D mag goggles and they do not seal tightly on the lower edge unless I tighten them quite a lot.
But I like that a lot since it helps with fogging and there is much less pressure on my nose.
Tightening the straps helps but if it does not you might consider smaller goggles/different brand.

Scott LCG for instance have a system that adjusts the shape of the lower seal of the goggles to match better the curvature of your face.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It seems odd to me to have a small helmet fit one's head and then go with XL goggles. In the OP's pics the goggles do seem to occupy a large portion of his face. A smaller goggle might address the air sealing problem.

TS
BOStoSEA

BOStoSEA

Booting up
Skier
Yeah definitely seems like the XL goggles are going to be the issue here, makes sense.

Thank you all for the thoughts. On that note, is anyone looking for some lightly used I/O Mag XLs??

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah definitely seems like the XL goggles are going to be the issue here, makes sense.

Thank you all for the thoughts. On that note, is anyone looking for some lightly used I/O Mag XLs??
I’d be interested in the goggles...Pm if interested in putting up for sale?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Looks like those goggles just don't fit your face correctly.
I used to have to tape up the vents on my goggles occasionally back when I was a speed freak (used hockey tape). That definitely led to fogging up, but at least I could see for a while. I've never had that problem (too much air in goggles causing eyes to water to the point of not being able to see) at speeds under 65 mph, but it's surely not a problem anyone would enjoy, even at sub-ludicrous speeds.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Smith goggles in my experience are quite breezy. Every time I go back to Smith I remember why i got away from them.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had problems with excess air-flow drying out my contacts -- to the extent that I would close one eye sometimes. I wound up covering about 3/4 of the vent foam surface with duct tape.
Those were Smith goggles.

I haven't skied in this year of covid, so I don't know how goggles interact with face masks.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might want to try fiddling with the placement of the strap on the helmet. Move it lower and higher and see if it pulls the goggles to the face a bit better. Also, try loosening the helmet (I'm assuming it has a wheel or something for that), get the goggles where you like them, then move the helmet to the goggles and snug. That's how I have to close the gap on my setup.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I think Smith helmets have vents designed specifically to draw air through their goggles (or any goggles really). You could try blocking those vents on the helmet instead of taping up the goggles. I think those passages are just under the brim of the helmet.

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
I think Smith helmets have vents designed specifically to draw air through their goggles (or any goggles really). You could try blocking those vents on the helmet instead of taping up the goggles. I think those passages are just under the brim of the helmet.
Quantum helmet w/ Oakley Flight Deck goggles. Seem to fit well together, but was having the eye water issue. Raided my kids sticker supply to cover those top vents. Much better, not perfect though. I may try blocking the google foam next, but blocking those vents did help.

Attachments

• 4B0EF3AC-7588-4296-B3AB-E76644B0B9B1_1_201_a.jpeg
    4B0EF3AC-7588-4296-B3AB-E76644B0B9B1_1_201_a.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 61

Sponsor

Staff online