• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Airport preferences based on convenience

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thought I would put some numbers together to illustrate the reality for east coasters, using the two flying ski trips I take most often. These are NOT inflated numbers. In fact when you consider the likelihood of wintertime weather delays both with flights and with driving, they are probably way too optimistic.

My House to Cottonwood Heightsminuteshours
drive from home to bus station in Portland300.50
parking / ticketing / waiting at bus station300.50
bus loading process150.25
bus in transit to Logan airport (Boston)1502.50
airport checkin / baggage250.42
airport security250.42
airport waiting at gate601.00
airport loading plane300.50
plane in transit to SLC3305.50
unload plane200.33
wait for bags300.50
get rental car200.33
drive from airport to condo400.67

My House to Taos Townminuteshours
drive from home to airport in Portland300.50
parking in remote lot / taxi to airport200.33
airport checkin / baggage200.33
airport security200.33
plane in transit to BWI1101.83
layover in BWI901.50
plane in transit to ABQ2854.75
wait for bags300.50
get rental car300.50
drive from airport to condo incl. stops, traffic, etc2003.33

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Y'all make me happy to live in Denver. Ski traffic on I-70 can suck, but at least we don't have to get on an airplane to ski! :ogbiggrin:

As for traveling elsewhere, our little cow town's airport is now the third busiest in the world, so traveling elsewhere is usually easy and cheap.

We are going to San Diego for a beach vacation next week, and Southwest has seven direct flights on weekdays and six on the weekend!

It's a bit of a drive to DIA, and parking can be a pain, but both are manageable and well worth the benefits to locals from the enormous traffic through DIA.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was forgetting about Spokane, it has non-stop flights from most large cities in the West, and from Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta and DFW. I haven't actually ever flown in or out but it seems like it's easy to get around the airport, and it's under 2 hours to Schweitzer and a number of other ski areas in the region, and under 3 hours to Rossland (Red Mt) and a little over 3 hours to Nelson (Whitewater). Hmm... might have to do a mid-winter ski trip next year there just for fun, and so I can speak more authoritatively.

What becomes a stumbling block for many is connecting flights might go through Denver or SLC, and you might wonder why you aren't skiing there instead of connect to another flight and traveling an extra 1:45 to 2:30 hours. Or often flights will connect in SEA or Portland (OR) to get to Spokane.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree. Only downside is less overhead bin space, which can be an issue. Me: "I have one small carry on containing very little but my ski boots. It fits easily in even the smallest overhead bins. Unlike most of the other people on this flight I dont' have a carry-on that's 50% bigger than is technically allowed, nor do I have a 'personal item' that's bulkier than your average piece of living room furniture. I also don't have a screaming baby, or giant headphones that everyone on the plane, including the old lady who's understandably taking refuge in the head, can hear. If you're not going to let me put these boots in the overhead bin then my suggestion is that you simply WEAR them up and down the aisle for the rest of the flight and then give them back when you have enjoyed your quality time together."
With those regional jets with less overhead bin space, I usually check my carry-on at the gate. That way I know my boot bag makes it on the plane and I don't have to schlepp it through the aisle or cram it overhead. And no one has to hear me muttering curses.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
With those regional jets with less overhead bin space, I usually check my carry-on at the gate. That way I know my boot bag makes it on the plane and I don't have to schlepp it through the aisle or cram it overhead. And no one has to hear me muttering curses.
Haven't been on a small plane for some time, I forgot...

When you "gate check" your carry on, do you get it back when you deplane, even when you're about to get on a connecting flight?

(come to think of it, all my flights on small planes are final legs. Never gone from small plane connecting to another flight)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have two major hub airports just too far away to actually be convenient(an hour with no traffic but could be double that at the wrong time). The advantage is there are many direct flights to chose from and you can usually find a pretty good deal. The disadvantage is they are JFK and LGA with all of the NYC metro insanity that goes along with that.

James

Out There
Instructor
LGA has improved…
Though entering the compound is even more mad max confusing.

In Feb 2020 I flew out of Newark to Paris, via Montreal. You can take Amtrak to Newark which is pretty convenient. There is an elevator. Though because Amtrack is so unreliable, and doesn’t run often, you have to go hours early. Backup is take Metro North to Grand Central, then shuttle bus. (But covid killed those shuttles

Not sure what I was thinking, snowstorm shut Montreal down. Luckily rebooked at the airport. On the way back went through Frankfurt, one week before covid shut everything down.

This year I decided to try train to JFK.
This entails a train to Grand Central, subway shuttle to the 1,2,3 line, one of those to Penn Station. LIRR to Jamaica Sta, Air Train to JFK. With a ski bag and a suitcase, and a backpack, it would be near impossible due to crap Penn Station stairs. It was bad enough with 48lb suitcase and 30 pound backpack.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thought I would put some numbers together to illustrate the reality for east coasters, using the two flying ski trips I take most often. These are NOT inflated numbers. In fact when you consider the likelihood of wintertime weather delays both with flights and with driving, they are probably way too optimistic.

My House to Cottonwood Heightsminuteshours
drive from home to bus station in Portland300.50
parking / ticketing / waiting at bus station300.50
bus loading process150.25
bus in transit to Logan airport (Boston)1502.50
airport checkin / baggage250.42
airport security250.42
plane in transit to SLC3305.50
unload plane200.33
wait for bags300.50
get rental car200.33
drive from airport to condo400.67

My House to Taos Townminuteshours
drive from home to airport in Portland300.50
parking in remote lot / taxi to airport200.33
airport checkin / baggage200.33
airport security200.33
plane in transit to BWI1101.83
layover in BWI901.50
plane in transit to ABQ2854.75
wait for bags300.50
get rental car300.50
drive from airport to condo incl. stops, traffic, etc2003.33
You could drive it in just 34 hours! WOOHOO!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
LGA has improved…
Though entering the compound is even more mad max confusing.

In Feb 2020 I flew out of Newark to Paris, via Montreal. You can take Amtrak to Newark which is pretty convenient. There is an elevator. Though because Amtrack is so unreliable, and doesn’t run often, you have to go hours early. Backup is take Metro North to Grand Central, then shuttle bus. (But covid killed those shuttles

Not sure what I was thinking, snowstorm shut Montreal down. Luckily rebooked at the airport. On the way back went through Frankfurt, one week before covid shut everything down.

This year I decided to try train to JFK.
This entails a train to Grand Central, subway shuttle to the 1,2,3 line, one of those to Penn Station. LIRR to Jamaica Sta, Air Train to JFK. With a ski bag and a suitcase, and a backpack, it would be near impossible due to crap Penn Station stairs. It was bad enough with 48lb suitcase and 30 pound backpack.
I can't imagine taking the train to the airport with ski gear from where I live. I've usually driven myself to/from the airport but I'm hiring a limo service the next time to avoid the schlep to/from parking. If he trip is a week or more the parking costs almost as much as a limo.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I always thought you were the empathetic admin.
I am! Have you met the rest of the crew? :roflmao: No sympathy, no empathy. Downright mean!

James

Out There
Instructor
I can't imagine taking the train to the airport with ski gear from where I live.
If you do Amtrak to Newark it’s the most civilized. That’s pretty doable even with a ski bag, But you’ll likely get there 4hrs early, because the next train is too iffy.

If they ever connect Grand Central Terminal to the LIRR, it could be different going to JFK. Though Nyc is horrible with elevators. (God help you if in a wheelchair.)

Of course once Grand Central Terminal is connected, it will finally be called Grand Central Station.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you do Amtrak to Newark it’s the most civilized. That’s pretty doable even with a ski bag, But you’ll likely get there 4hrs early, because the next train is too iffy.

If they ever connect Grand Central Terminal to the LIRR, it could be different going to JFK. Though Nyc is horrible with elevators. (God help you if in a wheelchair.)

Of course once Grand Central Terminal is connected, it will finally be called Grand Central Station.
I'm on LI so I have to deal with the LIRR. I've also become accustomed to almost always having my own vehicle and only walking when necessary so taking multiple trains, with luggage is out of my wheelhouse these days. When I was younger and lived in NYC I was all about public transportation and knew the subway system intimately but it's a skill/tolerance set I have lost.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on LI so I have to deal with the LIRR. I've also become accustomed to almost always having my own vehicle and only walking when necessary so taking multiple trains, with luggage is out of my wheelhouse these days. When I was younger and lived in NYC I was all about public transportation and knew the subway system intimately but it's a skill/tolerance set I have lost.
I was feeling sorry for myself for a while there but I'm much better now. Long Island. Trapped.

Reactions: Ogg

Sponsor

Staff online