• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All around ski for a former Racer?

ChrisD

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am a former Provincial level racer, who has skied almost exclusively on race skis my entire life. Now that my race days are well in the rearview, and I'm doing more traveling around to ski, I am looking for something that will feel solid enough while carving groomers, and provide enough performance for my "racer tendencies" while at the same time allow me to better enjoy the trees, heavy afternoon snow, etc.

I live on the east coast, and ski a small "hill" as my every weekend/weeknight skiing, however I do try and get around a bit every year. This year for example I have trips planned to Killington, Sugarloaf, Big 3 (Lake Louise, Sunshine, Nakiska), and Tremblant.

I am 27, 6'1 and 185lbs if that helps when it comes to providing a recco.

I'll always have my race skis for days when the conditions call for it, but want something I can play on all mountain with a bit more, and not feel like the dummy wearing race skis on a big mountain/pow day.

Appreciate the help in advance!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Locally you'll need to keep a sharp ski for our eastern hardpack. So a stiff tuned down race skis. Add in an all mountain ski, in an 82-88 width. Even at Tremblant, most of us are on tuned down race skis. Too much ice! If you're out west and get a dump...rent a powder ski for the day.

FYI - my Quiver - Rossi Hero ST Ti and Nordica Santa Anna 88's. (CSIA II and an older skier)

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
How much tree skiing we talking about? Like enough to justify a more rockered, pivoty ride?

The results from the SkiTalk-a-gonkulator are all solid bets. A DPS in the RP profile might feel squirrely as heck to a racer, but will be a super fun tree ski. I am a DPS Wailer (now Pagoda) 100 RP fanatic for east coast trees. But, I'm not a racer and I have found myself overpowering my pair (112s, but same same). Centered and pivoty in the trees is fun times. Cranking on them on the groomers is also fun, but you'll never mistake it for a double metal sheet de-tuned GS ski.

You might like a J skis Masterblaster or Fastforward. I've got no time on the new FF, but I'm told it's basically the more groomer focused half of the pair, with the new MasterB shifting towards the soft stuff.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think something like the Fischer RC1 86 would give you everything you need , carvy enough to satisfy your tendencies

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone that was used to race skis, I haven't really loved any skis with substantial rocker on groomed snow. Everyone has given you good info, but I'm curious what % of the time you think you will be using them in groomers vs trees and fresh snow days. If you're really going to use the race skis for most of your groomed run skiing, I think it changes what you'd likely want vs if these skis are also likely to get significant groomer time. This might be a good excuse for a two-ski quiver (in addition to race skis). Then you could get something like a a Doberman Spitfire 72/76/80, Fischer Rc4 The Curv, etc, or a bit wider like a Salomon S/Force bold for mostly groomed days, and something like an enforcer 100 for fresh snow or tree days. As much as I like race skis, now that I have other "technical ski" options I don't have much use for them outside of a course. GS skis used to be my prefered freeskis, but I'm 46 so I'm old and weak and enjoy a bit easier ski to rip groomers all day with. A cheater GS is fun too.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of options for you. As a former racer, you know how to work a ski. I wouldn't worry much about needing a ton of rocker. I find skis with lots of rocker way more work in certain aspects of skiing. The Blizzard Bonified is worth a look. I really like the Liberty Evolv series. The 90 or 100 would fit the bill nicely. The Salomon Stance 90 is terrific. If money isn't tight the Augment AM88 and 98 are rippers.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that's probably why I like my S/Force Bolds and Evolv 100s a lot more than the Brahma 88s (version before they called them 88s)I briefly had. Tip responds to pressure early in the turn much better for me. I'd love to try the M6 mantra and especially the MX98 though.

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Volkl Kendo or Mantra will probably feel most similar to your race skis. The rocker integration is subtle and provides more tip iniation feel than most other rockered skis I've tried.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've found that a true all-mountain (off-piste biased) ski, 100mm underfoot, works for me as a complement to my race skis and retail-stock "race" skis. In my case, that 100mm ski is a Bent Chet 100. I spent a lot of time on the X9 WB before realizing how capable the BC 100 is, but after a couple of days guessing "wrong", I found that by the time it's generally firm enough to make the BC 100 unhappy, I'm perfectly happy on either a retail "race" ski or a FIS ski. The BC 100, despite being a twin-tip, doesn't feel like one to me; however, I did upsize to the 186 and mount around -1cm.

The X9 WB is a really good ski for limited amounts of 3D snow on-piste, but it benefits from a fair bit of energy and that makes it less enjoyable in the trees and bumps. I have a hard time thinking that any similar ski from another manufacturer is going to be a whole lot better off-piste, as the characteristics that work well on a groomer (especially a firm one) make a ski more of a handful in the trees.

I am really curious about the Maverick 88 Ti, too, but haven't had a chance to ski it yet.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So...you're in an Eastern Province. My home "hill" is Sugarloaf, but I have spent a couple of hundred days skiing in Quebec and Ontario. My hunch is that many on here do not truly know what you are most often skiing for a surface at your smaller home hill. Even more so if it has a Northern exposure as many do.

My suggestion would be to shoot for a two ski quiver. Obviously keep the race skis. However, I think you should consider a couple of home all and hard surface groomer options. I have a race background, though I am older than you. A few years ago, I has given my first pair of Head i.speed's, in a 180cm. I have had a few pairs, the last two being i.speed pro's with the bigger plate and better binding. It's a really fun ski. With some race-like chops. I also spend a lot of mid week days at a smaller hill, and there, my go-to ski has become a Head i.race Pro, in a 170cm. It really fits the bill. I bit more versatile than a "real deal" SL ski, and more relaxing. It does not want to make the same turn shapes over and over and does not demand to be turning on edge all the time. Either of those skis is worth a good look. In fact the whole category of cheaters is worth a look, though I am not current on all of them. I've skied a few days on the Fischer, and it's very, very similar.

Then I'd take a good hard look at something in that 88-100ish wide slots, as others have suggested. And something that has minimal rocker. You're getting a lot of good suggestions above. If price is no object, just buy the Augment. Done. If you want a real value, look for a deal on the Liberty. I know a lot of very, very strong skiers who are quite pleased with the latest versions of the Brahma, the Bonafide, the Mantra, and various Atomics. Pretty hard to go wrong.

But at home, including anything in New England, I'd strongly suggest a cheater unless you get 6" of fresh and are going to be headed to the trees. I ski mine 90% of the time. A LOT of days a season.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Last edited:

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
While probably not at your level, I too have been skiing GS race skis for over 30 years on Eastern "snow". Last season Stereo sent me a demo of the Piste RS, and I was hooked. I like bigger/faster turns so I bought the 183 because I'm too lazy/old to be cranking rapid fire turns. If you are analyzing specs, watch radius values. Personally, anything under R18 is going to want to be on edge most of the time or else it's "nervous". I hate that feeling.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I live on the east coast, and ski a small "hill" as my every weekend/weeknight skiing, however I do try and get around a bit every year. This year for example I have trips planned to Killington, Sugarloaf, Big 3 (Lake Louise, Sunshine, Nakiska), and Tremblant.

Where on the east coast? Would this ski be only for travel, or do you hope to use it at your home hill as well?

I lived in Halifax from ages 15-24, and I don't think any of the skis in my quiver would be that much fun at Wentworth or Martock. The Bonafide or Mantra would be really nice Lake Louise skis, but they might not get too much use at home.

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
On a small hill on the East Coast, I’d recommend something in the 88-90 width category because it can still make really good fun turns on hard pack. I was in the same boat as you and my first non race ski was the first gen Brahma, and it’s a fantastic ski for someone used to skiing arc to arc with a lot of energy, with two sheets of metal and minimal rocker it was stable and damp like I wanted. You can take it anywhere, even moderate powder, and it just drives though afternoon crud like you wouldn’t believe. It’s not super playful and wouldn’t be my recco if you wanted to ski a lot of moguls or tight trees, but for 2/3 groomers out East it’s hard to beat. In general based on my experience l agree with posters above who suggested you would be happiest with with full sheet(s) of metal and conservative rocker.

TS
C

ChrisD

Skier
Where on the east coast? Would this ski be only for travel, or do you hope to use it at your home hill as well?

I lived in Halifax from ages 15-24, and I don't think any of the skis in my quiver would be that much fun at Wentworth or Martock. The Bonafide or Mantra would be really nice Lake Louise skis, but they might not get too much use at home.
I am currently living in Halifax actually haha. They would be mainly used for travel. I'd like something for when I go to Tremblant/Maine/Vermont and want to ski more trees etc. (usually what I go after when I'm there) but also something I can bring out west as I try to do that trip once a year. Of course would like the ability to use them at Wentworth after a big dump as well, however keeping the race skis for out here. Just not enough hill for anthing else IMO.

Bobikes

Skier
I'll throw in the Volkl Mantra 102. I love that ski. Needs to be worked but you are use to that. right up there with all the skis I've demo'd the last few years. other good choices as mentioned the m6 and kendo.
Blizzard bonafide and brahma 88 are two more you would like.
there are so many good skis out there. As others suggested maybe a ski that is more on trail versatile. I have volkl deacon 84 in 177 and really like it, can pretty much go fast as want and change turn shape up. Have also skied them in a 184 then they started to feel more like a gs sk to me. As other suggested the fischer curv series, if sticking with fischer look at the ti series too. Armada Declivity series also good. Really like the Salomon stance 102.
if coming off race skis as you mentioned don't be afraid to go a little wider.
Can go for masters gs ski you'll get most of what you liked with race skis just easier to maneuver.
if you can pull it off go for at least a 2 ski quiver. detuned race type ski and a wider all mtn or freeride ski. you'll appreciate the versatility when conditions change.

Sponsor

Staff online