• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All-Mountain skis for a fast fifty-something?

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
My mid-50s ski buddy/cousin Wayne (some of you have skied with him) needs a new pair of skis for the coming season to replace his damaged Monster 88s. The Monsters replaced a set of much-loved (but tired) Kendos he enjoyed for a long time. Wayne is an expert skier who likes off-piste as much as 12-lane boulevards (aka, skis both), and and skis them fast for his 200+ pounds and 55 years. It's probably not too difficult to figure out a short list of some of the best all-mountain skis, but not every review is written from the perspective of a 200 lb 55 year old, so hopefully I can get some more targeted recommendations. We split our time each season between the Icy East and a trip or two out West (I'm on Stockli SR88s).

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Man, that Kastle makeover sure is tempting (vs my 2018 SR88s) -- mission creep! Anyway, are all four suited to a heavy guy, or some likely better than others?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am about your friend's size and age plus a couple of years. I would not describe myself as an expert but I do have flashes of pretty darn good. I've been on all of the skis @Philpug mentioned (he's also in the same size/age range) and would have no concerns about them folding under pressure.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Mission Control’s feedback is sticker shock on the Augments, and someone’s got his ear on the Enforcer 94’s. Anyone with some feedback on their performance in the “plus size” skier category? They weren’t in Phil’s initial list, so I’m thinking he‘d do better with any of the skis mentioned above thus far?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Enforcer 94 or even the narrower 88 punch above their weight in softer snow but their tapered shape doesn’t bite into harder groomers as well as some of the less tapered skis mentioned above. Perfect “skinny ski” for out West but may lack a bit of grip on ultra firm East Coast conditions.

The latest Brahma 88 is another versatile ski for his conditions that could be added to the list and like the Kendo 88 is unchanged from last year. The 2020 Brahma 88 is a different design as is the Kendo before it was renamed Kendo 88 when it went a hair narrower.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mission Control’s feedback is sticker shock on the Augments, and someone’s got his ear on the Enforcer 94’s. Anyone with some feedback on their performance in the “plus size” skier category? They weren’t in Phil’s initial list, so I’m thinking he‘d do better with any of the skis mentioned above thus far?
its a bit like the old saying ..."why is divorce so expensive? because its worth it!!" same with the Augments. The AM88 is head and shoulders above the competition ....and he would find the enforcers more like a noodle.......

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 51 and love to ski fast. However, I'm 5'8 and 150lbs at best, so take that with a grain of salt. But if he wants a ski that goes fast, carves well, and has off-piste chops, let me recommend the Fischer RC One GT 86. Plenty of fans here for that ski. Hopefully a more stout skier than me can weigh in on it.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm in my upper 50s, 5'10", 180 pounds, ski fast, and am based in the NE and do a couple of trips a year out West. I demoed both the Kendo and M5 Mantra in March at AltaBird and loved them both. Ended up buying the M6 Mantra at the end of the season and can't wait to get on them. By the way, I also demoed last year's Brahma and Enforcer 88 at Sunday River, and would have placed the Enforcer third in a cage match -- the Brahmas and Kendos were both excellent for my skiing style.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Great thread. Tell us what Wayne ends up with and how he likes them.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Great thread. Tell us what Wayne ends up with and how he likes them.

Will do. I'd love to see him on Kastle MX88s from what I've read (and how much I loved my original pair) but Wayne has an aversion to anything with a comma in the price lol. Something tells me finding a deal on an unsold pair from last season would be a non-starter.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon S/Force Bold? The Monster 88 is my favorite ski and my new Bolds have nearly the same dimensions and mass, except for the narrower waist (17m vs 16m sidecut). The Monsters are a tad stiffer, most noticeably in the tails. I'm also allergic to commas. The Bolds were $400 with bindings.

IMG_5945.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
In order: Augment AM88C, Atomic Maverick 88 Ti, Kastle MX88, Salomon Stance 90, Liberty Evolv 90.

One of those things is not like the others,
One of these things just isn't the same....
Augment 88. Call it good.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid