• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All new WRX for 2022

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Completely new platform and engine with uninspired 'styling'. (OK, it looks awful)

Superb car in 6 speed MT form. Incredible for the price. AWD, 3300 lb, excellent suspension and brakes, under $30k.

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
I've owned 2 Subaru's over the years. They handled superbly in NY's snow and ice. That being said the cost to own was high and they had a few annoying issues. The wheel bearings were a constant headache and one of them developed an oil leak at 70k. Have since owned 2 Toyota's. Although they have had a few issues, I believe that they are a slightly better build and are less prone to rust by far. The Subaru's had lots of rust after 7 years. The Toys are still rust free. RAV4&TACO's forever!

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Superb car in 6 speed MT form. Incredible for the price. AWD, 3300 lb, excellent suspension and brakes, under $30k.
No hatch option, ugly as sin, no more power than before and the weight increase appears to be staying. Cars are just so dense with useless crap.
Did I say it looks like hell?!

My hatch REX is paid off, weighs 500 pounds less, has excellent suspension and brakes and looks SO much more proper.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like a smaller, lower Crosstrek.
A lot of people are calling it a Crosstrek Sedan. It looks better in darker colors so the plastic isn't so obvious. In orange...well...I'm just going to leave this here:
1641212988582.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Inarguable. And available to me locally. And I'm not getting any younger. Ultimately, probably not quite.

No hatch option.

I was certain they'd come to their senses, and bring back the hatch this time around.

If we're dreaming, I'd like this new WRX chassis and powertrain slid underneath my old 1982 Saab 900S.

With the rear seat folded, the FLAT rear cargo floor was an honest 6 feet long!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the engine change makes sense. A bit bigger displacement and lower boost = same or similar HP/torque with less stress.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I think the engine change makes sense. A bit bigger displacement and lower boost = same or similar HP/torque with less stress.
Well it will please the aftermarket because that is the first thing they will do! Crank up the boost!!!
Is this Subaru's version of the Saab Low pressure turbo?

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The upcoming AWD GR Corolla is looking much more interesting than a WRX:
1.6 liter, three cylinder??
I don't think I'd go there, that's a little more stressed than I like even @ 257hp.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love a BRZ/86 sedan instead.

With this new torquier WRX engine?

In a heartbeat, but the AWD part of the WRX is so darn appealing to the skier in me.

Not that I need another snow car, but it would be hard to leave a WRX in the garage all winter!

And I'm with Bill on the GR -- 275 HP out of a 1.6 liter triple sounds too much like a grenade that makes all its power north of 5,000 rpm.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
A lot of people are calling it a Crosstrek Sedan. It looks better in darker colors so the plastic isn't so obvious. In orange...well...I'm just going to leave this here:
View attachment 153694
I actually drove one of those in 1995 or so. My wifes Aunt and Uncle had one and loved it. He was a retired GM employee. It wasn't quite what we were looking for :)
Both my son and daughter own Crosstreks though as they both live in eastern Wa in the snowzone.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Funny, they tag the WRX as a "boy racer." I'm a big boy now, so please make me a Legacy GT with a six-speed.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

"when I first saw this from the back, I said to Andrea, hey look they bought a Honda Civic for me to drive"

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish the WRX looked like the more conservative Civic. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sponsor