• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All new WRX for 2022

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I test drove the new WRX Limited six-speed, as somebody canceled their order at a nearby dealer.

I love the car, but not for how I'd use it. It's fun, fast, has a manual, and is a blast to drive. Great stuff.

The downside for me is the suspension on rough roads. It's too harsh for my skiing trips, where most of the miles are on beat-up I-70, with a bit of fun driving in Clear Creek Canyon, Loveland Pass, and Berthoud Pass.

I drove the new WRX back-to-back with my G35 on a rough road that needed repaving. So glad I did, as it highlighted how the WRX doesn't meet my needs.

The WRX would be fun driving around town and for short trips, but it's too harsh for my taste on longer trips. I've never appreciated the multi-link suspension on my G35 so much. It's a little softer sprung but also feels more sophisticated than the WRX suspension, despite being a 20-year-old design (substantially carried forward to the new Z).

I couldn't tolerate the WRX suspension on my countless I-70 miles, nor the cross-country road trips I've done with my G35 and envision for my next sedan. Plus, the WRX fuel economy is crap (though I could live with the poor mpg if that were the only downside).

The new adaptive dampers could be the answer, but for some reason, they are only available on the top GT trim, and that's only available with a CVT!?!?!?

1661022887589.png

Plus, I think the GT trim is way overpriced. $40K+ for a WRX is too much, considering the Golf R, A3, A4, and other options. A $35K WRX Premium with a six-speed and adaptive dampers would interest me.

$30K for a base WRX is a steal, given the performance, and I might pull the trigger if I can find and test drive one.

The base 17-inch wheels should help with the ride quality compared to the 18-inch wheels, and I'd swap the stock summer tires for CrossClimates or similar for winter (I've got studded Hakkas on my Sequoia). At that price, I could also try other dampers to improve the ride quality or be more willing to put up with the ride, given the bargain.

I'm awaiting the 2023 WRX to see if they sort out the trims better. I called Suburu USA with my feedback at the suggestion of my sales guy.

Last edited:
TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The base REX has always been the Bang for the Buck winner. And I agree that 17's are as big as I would be willing to go for wheels (I go to 16's for winters). The roads suck seemingly everywhere in the NE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, if they stuffed a WRX engine into that, and removed the cursed CVT, I would likely be a customer.
It's really sad the new Impreza doesn't have a manual. They have six speeds in both the WRX and BRZ they could have used. The NA BRZ drivetrain in an Impreza would be great. :(

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's really sad the new Impreza doesn't have a manual. They have six speeds in both the WRX and BRZ they could have used. The NA BRZ drivetrain in an Impreza would be great. :(
'24 2.5L Impreza RS "psudo-sport wagon" alternative to the CVT only 2.5L Crosstrek Sport & Limited CUV and will be even sadder if '24 2.5L Imp RS scores the same POOR rating as '22 Crossdrek in updated side IHS crash test:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
PSA. What not to do to your wrx.
I almost stopped following those guys after this. Rule number 0 of any rebuild. Must be nice to have the funds to do that. Whatever.
In other news, anybody have a healthy EJ255 long block laying around that I can have? Uncle Rodney came knocking and the warenty process has been... a nightmare to say the least.
Very seriously thinking about dumping the WRX and starting over with a GR STi or a Fiesta ST.

Sponsor