• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All new WRX for 2022

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just happend to see one one on the road today with the new fenders. No thank you, it looks like an Outback sedan.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd be seriously interested if they came out with a new 2 door WRX. If you're going 4 doors every other AWD model is better than this, every one...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be seriously interested if they came out with a new 2 door WRX. If you're going 4 doors every other AWD model is better than this, every one...

For me it would have to be the wagon.

I'm curious though, which other AWD, 4 door, stick shift car you'd choose over the WRX?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For me it would have to be the wagon.

I'm curious though, which other AWD, 4 door, stick shift car you'd choose over the WRX?
Stick shift isn't a deal breaker for me.. so any/all of them if it has to be 4 door

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Subaru Impreza line have been ugly as whatever since the 90s. Just saying.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The Subaru Impreza line have been ugly as whatever since the 90s. Just saying.
I don’t know, I always liked the look of my 2012 2.5 liter WRX :huh:
7EB53771-8C2B-4C08-AF0B-C3CDB680F16D.jpeg

Should’ve been a 6 speed though.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been thinking about the positioning and trims of the new WRX. What Subura has now doesn't make much sense, but I wonder if it's part of a long-term plan to make more money from the WRX.

Prediction/wish what they will do with the WRX in future years:
  • Add a manual transmission option to the GT trim with Recaro seats and adaptive dampers.
  • Add a Touring or other higher-level trim to fancy it up and extract more $$.
  • Paint the plastic cladding on the upper-level trims to charge extra for non-ugly versions.
  • Add more sound insulation and other refinements to the upper trims.
  • Add a tune, exhaust, whatever to get 300 hp or more out of the engine for the upper-level trims.
If I were Subaru, I'd do that to segment the customers into the kids who what a cheap car to tune and the old folks who want a nicer car already tuned and covered under warranty. It seems like they can do both with the new platform. Crazy?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been thinking about the positioning and trims of the new WRX. What Subura has now doesn't make much sense, but I wonder if it's part of a long-term plan to make more money from the WRX.

• Add a manual transmission option to the GT trim with Recaro seats and adaptive dampers.
  • Paint the plastic cladding on the upper-level trims to charge extra for non-ugly versions.
  • Add a tune, exhaust, whatever to get 300 hp or more out of the engine for the upper-level trims.
If I were Subaru, I'd do that to segment the customers into the kids who what a cheap car to tune and the old folks who want a nicer car already tuned and covered under warranty. It seems like they can do both with the new platform. Crazy?
You are suggesting another great used Subaru. Subaru has a storied history of producing cars that are more popular used that they were new. To an extent you are creating the 2008 WRX limited, a leather lined STI or even the Legacy Spec-B. Neither of these cars sold well when new but are sought after now as used cars.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

Probably? How many WRXs do they actually sell*? How much will people actually be willing to spend on one before they step up to a nicer car? The hotter tune and other goodies came with stepping up to the STi in the past so if they wanted to go that route they'd bring back the STi.

*ETA I looked it up:
2016 30,943
2017 31,358
2018 28,730
2019 21,838
2020 21,178
2021 27,141
2022 6,212

Last edited:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I won't do the thing to any WRX/STi past 2014. If you know, you know.

Secret handshakes aside, when they bring back a proper hatch version, and put the driver controlled center diff, that has the handbrake disconnect, then I'll sell my '13 wagon.
But since they've all but abandoned motorsports, and especially world rally, that will never happen.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To an extent you are creating the 2008 WRX limited, a leather lined STI or even the Legacy Spec-B. Neither of these cars sold well when new but are sought after now as used cars.
Based on the pricing, it Seems like Subaru thinks they already have a fancy-trimmed new WRX with the GT priced at $42K:

1657644378488.png

That seems like a huge spread in price between the base/premium and the GT. When looking at the competition, I think they have some work to justify pricing in the $40Ks.

The WRX GT price is getting close to the Golf R, which has 315hp, is nicer, and has a dual-clutch available instead of the WRX's CVT.

1657644650321.png

Putting a ~300hp version of the 2.4 engine into the WRX GT would close that gap a bit. Might as well throw it into the Limited too.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
*ETA I looked it up:
2016 30,943
2017 31,358
2018 28,730
2019 21,838
2020 21,178
2021 27,141
2022 6,212
Thanks. It looks like the WRX is a decent seller and was growing 20 to 21:

1657654662766.png

Interesting to compare the WRX to the VW compitiion:

1657655111056.png

Nice to see Subaru seems to have scale and growth to keep investing in the WRX. Rose-colored glasses?