• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things Daiwa

Daiwa Skis

SKI Nov 1971 - Daiwa - Pugski - Dave Petersen .jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the skis I had as a kid growing up was a Daiwa. It like my first Blizzards were hand me downs. The Daiwas were my moms at 195 and I skied them for 1 or 2 years and then switched to the Blizzards at 210. were purchased in the late 60's or early 70's just after we came to Canada.

Ski skill in those days to be good, required you learn it all, and at about 100lbs give or take the 210's required you had to really dive into you skis to get them to respond.

In part this still drives my skill set to this day and one of the reasons I find non race skis and boots too soft and floppy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is this the same company that sells fishing gear?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I suspect it is.

Slight thread drift. It seems that back in those days companies made more side ventures quickly and rode the waves of trends, when the tend died so did the off shoot venture. In some cases the off shoot became the main stay and the founding main stay died off.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Dec 1973 - Daiwa - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Sep 1972 - Daiwa - Pugski - Dave Petersen .jpg

CHTAHOE

Booting up
Skier
Yes it is. A mega company in Japan (think Mitsubishi or Honda) for many years.
I owned a ski shop in the 70's and I picked up the Daiwa line along with Sidi boots. They were surprisingly good with a no questions asked warranty, which pleased a few of my customers that habitually broke skis. I remember the 2100 (orange and white in the catalog photo) was especially lively. I skied on Rossignol almost exclusively back then and the Daiwa 2100 was nearly comparable.

CHTAHOE

Booting up
Skier
Yep. I ran a shop and was one of their first dealers. The attractive part was Daiwa offered a 2 year warranty and they stood behind it! I replaced nearly a dozen pairs that my more brutish customers manage to break. On top of that, they weren’t bad skis and priced very reasonably.

Sponsor

Staff online