• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier
Prufer.jpg

Valanika

La vita e' bella sugli sci!
Skier
Hi everyone!
I'm writing here to see if anyone can give me some info about these cross-country skis. I looked around the web all night and can't find anything, although, in this thread, the Dynamic vr27 looks awfully close color-scheme-wise. They are Rossignol made for Dynamic in Austria.
I am curious about the year.
The black/yellow is a classic waxable, and the pink is a skate. They are both 200, which seems super long for a skate, although they are both rated <65Kg! Their tips are delaminating, but they are otherwise new and have never been mounted. I would also welcome tips for how to properly fix the tips.
I am looking forward to mounting bindings on them because, I mean: who doesn't love neon pink and yellow? :cool: They are so rad!

Attachments

• 137222620_396680058083390_8536262084526449315_n.jpg
    137222620_396680058083390_8536262084526449315_n.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 138123506_517490695859025_1310491650597599953_n.jpg
    138123506_517490695859025_1310491650597599953_n.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 138180211_730987907794929_6909653611159302709_n.jpg
    138180211_730987907794929_6909653611159302709_n.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 137624933_217007956704325_1359159131697139129_n.jpg
    137624933_217007956704325_1359159131697139129_n.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 16

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hi everyone!
I'm writing here to see if anyone can give me some info about these cross-country skis. I looked around the web all night and can't find anything, although, in this thread, the Dynamic vr27 looks awfully close color-scheme-wise. They are Rossignol made for Dynamic in Austria.
I am curious about the year.
The black/yellow is a classic waxable, and the pink is a skate. They are both 200, which seems super long for a skate, although they are both rated <65Kg! Their tips are delaminating, but they are otherwise new and have never been mounted. I would also welcome tips for how to properly fix the tips.
I am looking forward to mounting bindings on them because, I mean: who doesn't love neon pink and yellow? :cool: They are so rad!
Fixing the tips would require a flexible adhesive not a rigid adhesive like most epoxy. You will also need several clamps once you apply the adhesive and give plenty of time to cure the adhesive, maybe longer than the label says is enough. Just a side note about the color scheme of the skis, in the downhill models the black and yellow would be a SL ski and the pink would be a GS ski not sure if that has any carry over to the cross country models. Good luck and enjoy your skis.

Valanika

La vita e' bella sugli sci!
Skier
Fixing the tips would require a flexible adhesive not a rigid adhesive like most epoxy. You will also need several clamps once you apply the adhesive and give plenty of time to cure the adhesive, maybe longer than the label says is enough. Just a side note about the color scheme of the skis, in the downhill models the black and yellow would be a SL ski and the pink would be a GS ski not sure if that has any carry over to the cross country models. Good luck and enjoy your skis.

Thank you! Yes, I am researching options for flexible adhesive. I have plenty of clamps in the garage. It will be a project!
Interesting about the difference in color for the downhill. For these cross country skis here, the black and yellow are classic skis and the pink ones are skating skis, I believe one of the first discipline-specific models considering their length.

Ski on!

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fix the tip with good epoxy (JB Weld?). I have repaired cross country skis split tip to tail with epoxy and recovered all the spring and camber after the clamps were off. Skis are not made with flexible adhesive, they are glued up solid, and derive their characteristics from the laminated materials. Imagine plywood glued up with rubber cement.

PS Great skis. Thought I had seen everything in Dynamics!

Uncle-A

Skier
Fix the tip with good epoxy (JB Weld?). I have repaired cross country skis split tip to tail with epoxy and recovered all the spring and camber after the clamps were off. Skis are not made with flexible adhesive, they are glued up solid, and derive their characteristics from the laminated materials. Imagine plywood glued up with rubber cement.

PS Great skis. Thought I had seen everything in Dynamics!
Most epoxy dry in a rigid state and each flex of the ski will stress that rigidity and it will break down with enough time. BTW it is not the glue that makes plywood strong, it is the fact that the grain of each layer is turned 90 degrees from the next layer.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I figured, being the internet, there would be some discussion. I've studied the engineering of laminations going back to science fair project I did in 1968 comparing metal vs fiberglass skis. First, epoxy does not dry, it hardens. Once it has hardened, the flex characteristics of the laminated object is derived from the compressibility and elasticity of the top and bottom sheets. Flex a phone book...or a stack of thin wood strips regardless of grain direction. It will be floppy. Glue it with rubber cement, it will still be floppy. I laminated various ski prototypes for that project, and just for kicks did some with flexible cements. Even with steel layers, they had no rigidity or strength. Once they are glued with epoxy the characteristics of the materials come out.

Before Head gave up on all metal skis, they actually made some skis with two layers of aluminum, laminated with epoxy, capped by a third layer stuck on by a rubber adhesive layer. The goal was to dampen vibrations. It added nothing structurally.

If you want tips that actually work like they did before delamination, use epoxy.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's a nice pair, made by Atomic for Dynamic France, seen in Italy. I was on the 180 cm version of the same ski.
dynamic jr.JPG

Uncle-A

Skier
When you talk about dry vs harden it is just simantic when having an interesting conversation. If it was a scientific paper for peer review it might be a different story. BTW for seven years of my twelve year teaching career I taught wood shop and have worked with several different types of adhesives. In my eighteen years of working in the ski industry I have repaired many skis, most of them with a flexible adhesive depending on the type of repair. Anyway I also know that nobody win a debate on the internet so I think we can agree to disagree.

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
In 2001 or 2002 I acquired a pair of Dynamic skis. I don’t remember the name exactly, but I think they were the VR-Extreme or VR-Mogul. The skis were white with uninspiring graphics. These were supposed to be a good bump ski, but I never found them good for much of anything. I only kept them a few years as they were old school, straight skis and the shape skis were taking over. In 2003 I moved on to the Dynastar Intuitive 69c. The Dynamics went in the dumpster.

For curiosity’s sake, I’m trying to figure out what they were and see if any old reviews have popped up on the web. Does anyone recall what model these might have been?

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bought the VR17's spring '70, closeout, Hechinger's lumber yard in DC. Heard they were ice skates, that's about all us kids ever saw in southern PA night skiing. :) Changed boots over the years, but kept same skis until i kind of faded away from it 12 or 15 years ago. No one i knew after college skied. Wife never skied, but went along a few times taking our son out with his friends. He hated it and gave up. Then last year, a friend closer to my age here in upstate NY who never stopped, got me motivated again. I threw myself at the hands of a kid at the re-use sports store and got a pair of Atomic Vantage 83's. But still like to strap the VR's on for some runs. It's like learning to ski all over again swapping between them. But "either" style on groomers has its own level of fun once past the falling on face stage of transition.

(Head & Dynastars were from local $5 barrels. the Dynastars were a mistaken attempt to get "modern" bindings before learning on here that those Marker heels actually have a bad rep for expolding. The Head Masters were a save for the wall because of the history. I'd actually like to ski them but leery of the bindings.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG

smt

Uncle-A

Skier
Bought the VR17's spring '70, closeout, Hechinger's lumber yard in DC. Heard they were ice skates, that's about all us kids ever saw in southern PA night skiing. :) Changed boots over the years, but kept same skis until i kind of faded away from it 12 or 15 years ago. No one i knew after college skied. Wife never skied, but went along a few times taking our son out with his friends. He hated it and gave up. Then last year, a friend closer to my age here in upstate NY who never stopped, got me motivated again. I threw myself at the hands of a kid at the re-use sports store and got a pair of Atomic Vantage 83's. But still like to strap the VR's on for some runs. It's like learning to ski all over again swapping between them. But "either" style on groomers has its own level of fun once past the falling on face stage of transition.

(Head & Dynastars were from local $5 barrels. the Dynastars were a mistaken attempt to get "modern" bindings before learning on here that those Marker heels actually have a bad rep for expolding. The Head Masters were a save for the wall because of the history. I'd actually like to ski them but leery of the bindings.

View attachment 155198 View attachment 155199 View attachment 155200

smt
Nice VR 17's, I recognize the Marker toe but the heel I don't remember if I ever saw that combination. What is it?

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
recognize the Marker toe but the heel I don't remember if I ever saw that combination. What is it?

I really don't know.
The script appears to say "Hanover" and the block letters spell "HEEL-MATIC"
Mounted on the first pair of ski's i hadn't made myself. :) Department store wooden skis with actual metal edges.
I believe the skis and the bindings were from Japan. The toes were not articulating (compared to Marker simplex), and broke my ankle . However, i could not see a big conceptual difference between the heels and *Rotamats, so used them going forward with a pair of $15 Simplex toes. The big advantage at the time was having my eye set on a pair of Lange boots at another location, but not able to afford them immediately with the ski purchase. (Though IIRC, the skis were only around $115 or $120) These heels are adjustable for different boot sole lengths. So i was able to finish the season with my old leather lace-ups and buy the Langes a bit later, without having to have bindings re-mounted.

If your eye is really sharp, looking at the side view, one of the castings broke early on. I did not have machine tools at the time except a drill press. but carved out a replica from a solid piece of aluminum with drill, hacksaw, and files.

*I recognised even then that rotamats locate the heel solidly side to side separate and apart from friction. The rotating function allowing escape when the toes popped. The "Heel-matics" assume only friction for side location. Apparently i was never an advanced or aggressive enough skier to have that be a factor. OTOH, I never again injured myself due to bindings. (collision with a tree does not count). About the time i stopped skiing, i did come to realize the Simplex toes were limiting me because they were hard to stay in, in moguls.

smt

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
PS: what does the text in the box near the center of the ski translate too?
It is mostly eroded at this point, but approximately: "Diametre des avant-trousPour fixative 2.5 maximum Coller les(eroded) A L'Araldite" 2.5 (cm???) in front of where? I had the bindings professionally mounted in a ski shop that installed Markers. But always wondered if they were set too far back. OTOH on getting back into skiing, i measured both skis & the centers are practically under the balls of my feet in the current boots.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Those heels were generically called 'suicide heels' as they didn't release. There were a variety of them. They were popular with Nevada toes.

Uncle-A

Skier
Those heels were generically called 'suicide heels' as they didn't release. There were a variety of them. They were popular with Nevada toes.
Back in that time frame it probably would have been the Nevada I toe that had to be notched. When they came out with the Nevada II toe they did away with the notches. Years ago I had a pair of NOS Nevada I toes in the box. I figured that I was never going to use them and I was tight on storage space so in the trash they went. That was just before I found that other ski community.

Sponsor