• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things ESS

ESS Ski Bindings

SKI Sept 1991 - Ess, Koflach, Atomic - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Oct 1969 - ESS, Rieker - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Nov 1969 Twelve Great Escapes - Ess.jpg

SKI Nov 1969 Jeffrey Garlick

SKI Nov 1969 Twelve Great Escapes.jpg

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't remember the earlier ESS bindings, but I do remember when they came on the market with the variable setting switch. At the time it seemed like it great idea in how it allowed finer tuning of the ski setup be it a ski or skier issue. How well it worked, don't know as I never got to ski it, but I did want to try it.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are very easy to move. Just flip the toe cap over against the ski and the whole thing slides, done under 5 seconds. I have stepped in and out of these a dozen times and nothing exploded but there is a lot of plastic in them. I had the P10s, 205s, out for a couple of runs but really did not put them to any test. They are really outside my comfort zone.

DSC03911.JPG

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
You can still do this with some of Atomic's race bindings today.
Yup, not much has actually changed. My X16 Var bindings use a side to side lever rather than the flip up toe piece lever, but otherwise pretty similar. I've got a couple pair of ESS bindings that I keep around for monoskis. These and a brand new set of 512's still in the box
WP_20171229_11_27_33_Pro[1].jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, the previous gen. Atomic Race bindings, including the still being used by some on the WC, 1018 were all just an evolution of the ESS Var after Atomic bought the Company. I had the Ess binding on one of my favorite skis ever, a Volkl P9 GS, real deal race stock that came from one of the British team members. The quality of the plastics/nylon/delrin etc used on the ES binding at that time was significantly better than the other bindings around

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
1990 Atomic, Ess, Koflach - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If @Philpug doesn't find any, let me know by PM. I should also post the offset brake model that came on some of the early powder skis.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
If @Philpug doesn't find any, let me know by PM. I should also post the offset brake model that came on some of the early powder skis.
thanks, that is what these are. atomic powder plus with the offset mounting. I'll buy something from the store makes for a win win.

Royal

Royal

UTAH
Skier
got the AFD. a matching one too, thanks a ton Phil. I owe you one. and now another pair of vintage skis is back on the snow!

Royal

Sponsor