• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Love that sweater, and pants with metal buckle surround. And background pants.
Given the resurgence of color, we’ve yet to see anything this cool.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is that Penelope Street? Skiing had so much more style in the 70's.
That was obviously a modeling job because would she have skied on S 444's? I don't think so.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was obviously a modeling job because would she have skied on S 444's? I don't think so.
Thsts a 555, not a 444 and her hart completion skis.

Uncle-A

Skier
Thsts a 555, not a 444 and her hart completion skis.
The 555 were blue or gold for the comp the 444 was mostly chrome, I stretched the photo out on my phone and the still not 100% the 555's, while I had it stretched it looks like a Hart Short Stuff ski you can definitely see Stuff in the photo.
Edit.
The phone screen is too small when I get home I will check it on my laptop screen, I will probably see 555's on the larger screen but check the tail of the ski to see Stuff.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 555 were blue or gold for the comp the 444 was mostly chrome, I stretched the photo out on my phone and the still not 100% the 555's, while I had it stretched it looks like a Hart Short Stuff ski you can definitely see Stuff in the photo.
it's a 555 or 505...but definately not a 444. Look at the heel too. Sorry, for the mis speak, they were her competition skis, not hart Comps.

Uncle-A

Skier
it's a 555 or 505...but definately not a 444. Look at the heel too. Sorry, for the mis speak, they were her competition skis, not hart Comps.
I guess I wasn't finished with my edit when you posted this. My phone screen is too small to tell details it looks like her mitten is covering the heel, I can't see any of the heel. But when I get home I will check on my laptop. It might be a 505 that would depend more on the date of the photo.

JohnS1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a pair of Hanson Experimental ski boots, size 3. I have searched the internet/ebay on and off for a couple of years now and have not seen any listed. I foolishly discarded mine many years ago when the rubber lining disintegrated. Anyhow, if anyone has a pair they would be interested in selling or knows where I can get a pair, I would really appreciate it! I would consider any condition.

Best Regards,

John

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So this happened today from Goodwill Online for $22 delivered to my door. Shame that I'd have to redrill the Split Tails to ski them..
1688746448748.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They look bolt upright. Is the inside liner ok?
Liners are surprisingly nice.. Wax bags are dust though.. I "could" ski them but the BSL is 311, retro gear drilled for 296-305. A little too big for the split tails. I'd have to crack the glue to move the bindings. I have demo bindings on some other Y2K compatible skis but it just wouldn't be the same.

Uncle-A

Skier
Liners are surprisingly nice.. Wax bags are dust though.. I "could" ski them but the BSL is 311, retro gear drilled for 296-305. A little too big for the split tails. I'd have to crack the glue to move the bindings. I have demo bindings on some other Y2K compatible skis but it just wouldn't be the same.
I am pretty sure the model in the picture didn't have wax blatter's in the boot. By the time that model came out Hanson was using the Citation shell with flo filled blatter's. The flo fill may have turned into dust by now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am pretty sure the model in the picture didn't have wax blatter's in the boot. By the time that model came out Hanson was using the Citation shell with flo filled blatter's. The flo fill may have turned into dust by now.
Well whatever this is sure looks and feels like wax, and there's the remnants of a clear plastic bag between the white stuff and red boot shell on the other side if what we see here.. It's gooey like wax. It's dust like where it has crept out of the shell along the seams..
1688836290100.png

Uncle-A

Skier
Well whatever this is sure looks and feels like wax, and there's the remnants of a clear plastic bag between the white stuff and red boot shell on the other side if what we see here.. It's gooey like wax. It's dust like where it has crept out of the shell along the seams..
View attachment 207072
Yup, that is what is left of a Flo pack. The Flo pack was a clear plastic with the white Flo material inside. The older wax packs were yellowish and not clear. One of the ways they fit the boot was that a narrow boot had an over filled Flo pack and a wide boot had a thinly filled Flo pack and the medium size was somewhere in between. You had to spray the rubber liner with silicon spray just to get the sock to slide into the boot. That silicon spray would eventually break down the liner. If you found a liner that is still in good shape there is a chance that the boot wasn't skied very much.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yup, that is what is left of a Flo pack. The Flo pack was a clear plastic with the white Flo material inside. The older wax packs were yellowish and not clear. One of the ways they fit the boot was that a narrow boot had an over filled Flo pack and a wide boot had a thinly filled Flo pack and the medium size was somewhere in between. You had to spray the rubber liner with silicon spray just to get the sock to slide into the boot. That silicon spray would eventually break down the liner. If you found a liner that is still in good shape there is a chance that the boot wasn't skied very much.
That makes sense. Didn't know they used different kinds of filler in the packs as they evolved. Lugs are in really good shape so not used a ton of days.

I used WD40 instead of silicone spray in mine just because it was cheaper.. Didn't really matter though because they were too big for me.

I'm bored. I think I might go ahead and move the bindings on the split tails tonight. I know there's another set of holes because I moved them up previously.. Pass the glue..

596d47ff26065b2469b8be9189bcc97f_w200.webp

No I don't have marine epoxy, just 2 part regular.

Uncle-A

Skier
That makes sense. Didn't know they used different kinds of filler in the packs as they evolved. Lugs are in really good shape so not used a ton of days.

I used WD40 instead of silicone spray in mine just because it was cheaper.. Didn't really matter though because they were too big for me.

I'm bored. I think I might go ahead and move the bindings on the split tails tonight. I know there's another set of holes because I moved them up previously.. Pass the glue..

596d47ff26065b2469b8be9189bcc97f_w200.webp

No I don't have marine epoxy, just 2 part regular.
I wouldn't move a binding on a honeycomb ski. But that is just me. You say you already moved them once, are you going back to the original holes? That might work with plain epoxy if you use the existing epoxy nut from the first mount.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wouldn't move a binding on a honeycomb ski. But that is just me. You say you already moved them once, are you going back to the original holes? That might work with plain epoxy if you use the existing epoxy nut from the first mount.
I tool one off and took a look. The other holes are too far back. However, with the skis on the bench I was able to get the worm screws to go a couple more clicks back. It's not ideal.. Foreword pressure is right on the edge of too much.. But, IF (and that's a big if) I were to bring them I'd take a couple runs down an easy blue on them.. That's all I'd do with boots that old anyway even if the rest of the set up was perfect.

FWIW, closer inspection and the soles and lugs only have 2-3 scratches. They could be brand new only skied once?? These things were only skied a few times tops..

Maybe the original owner only got a few runs in them before the dreaded :eek: spiral fracture then they quit skiing or got different boots?

But still wouldn't trust them to explode under any actual duress. I shuddered even just smashing them in to the bindings that the heels barely slid in to and pushing them down to click the heels in..

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online