• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm thinking 1967-68? for these?
Can anyone nail down the date they became available?
Another method of tracking down the year could be, what year did Head change from the curved bottom curve to the routed bottom curve. Or what year did the Look AFD change from the large black pad to the smaller white AFD?

Uncle-A

Skier
Another method of tracking down the year could be, what year did Head change from the curved bottom curve to the routed bottom curve. Or what year did the Look AFD change from the large black pad to the smaller white AFD?
My typing skills suck.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I bought my 720's about 1970. My first skis were 320 W, which I bought the previous year. Both had the angled, routed groove.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well, no real help there. As of 1970 they were still issued with the large black pad.

SKIING Oct 1970 - Look - Pugski.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

Skier

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Doug, do you still have the Competition Downhills I sent you? this is the only pic I can find. they were about an inch thick and I couldn't bend them until I hit about 30 MPH

Attachments

• DSCN2619.JPG
    DSCN2619.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 6

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Doug, do you still have the Competition Downhills I sent you? this is the only pic I can find. they were about an inch thick and I couldn't bend them until I hit about 30 MPH
Ah, yes. I lost track when I responded earlier.

IMG_20221018_125953322.jpg

They were a major challenge to ski on them. I didn't have a wide open slope but semi-wide trails. I didn't get them up to a suitable speed to get them to bend much. They were 'one and done' but a great addition to my collection of DHs.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here's a pair of mid 60's HEAD DEEP POWDER skis in a 210cm size.
Any of you old timers ever get out on these? (I'm talking to you western skiers!)

DP1.jpg

Head DP 210.jpg

DP.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Here's a pair of mid 60's HEAD DEEP POWDER skis in a 210cm size.
Any of you old timers ever get out on these? (I'm talking to you western skiers!)

View attachment 185198

View attachment 185199

View attachment 185197
Yes I did. A friends Dad lent me his a couple of times at Alyeska in 66. Well his son said I could use them and we didn't want to split hairs :cool:. Compared to my Kastle Downhills that were a pair of railroad ties they were incredibly easy to ski in the loose snow. They liked the glop as well as the drier snow. Unweighting was not an option.

Said friend and I (after we got busted by his Dad) went out to a thrift store and found some older Head Standards. We took a grinder to the plastic on the tips to create our own 'powder skis'. they worked surprisingly well. Nobody ever bothered them on the ski rack either. Over the season we bent the tips, but it was well worth the $5.

Earl Castillo

Skier, Gearhead
Skier
NorCal SF Bay Area & Northern NY 1000 islands area
Besides the surprise that that you found a shop to touch the bindings back when they were new they would mount bindings a couple ways.

1. The toe of the boot would be placed at one half of cord length of the ski. Take a string and measure from tip to tail, fold it in half and place that length from the tail to the point of the boot toe.
2. Stand the skis base to base but no pressure against each other, mark the spots that the edges touch each other at the tip and tail (these are the contact points). That will be the length or the running surface, place the ball of the foot/boot at the half way point of the running surface length.

If you compare the two methods the spot will probably be very close.

3. Depending on the vintage of the ski on the side wall by the serial number and length markings there may be a little triangle with the point facing up to the top surface of the ski. That might be a toe point mark for the boot.
I’ve been hunting high and low for this method. I remember it, but only bits and pieces of the details.
i found a pair of used Dynamic VR17’s with the old small logo in a 207cm length also with yellow bases. a bit worn but not thrashed. I have a pair of Look Nevada N17’s I want to mount on them.
Yay!
I’ll. Post a pic in the Dynamic section when it’s finished.

cheers,
~Earl J

Uncle-A

Skier
I’ve been hunting high and low for this method. I remember it, but only bits and pieces of the details.
i found a pair of used Dynamic VR17’s with the old small logo in a 207cm length also with yellow bases. a bit worn but not thrashed. I have a pair of Look Nevada N17’s I want to mount on them.
Yay!

cheers,
~Earl J
Glad I could help, it's been years since I mounted bindings that way. But when you have done as many as I have you just don't forget how it's done. I can't wait to see the pictures of your finished skis. The 207's will ride very smooth and I hope they have enough edge left to give you a little gripping power when needed. Enjoy your vintage skis.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yay!

cheers,
~Earl J
I have some 204 VR17s with red Nevadas. So much fun on vintage days with my Lange Demons.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid