• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
These are not retro but they are Head skis.

Attachments

• WP_20180130_19_53_24_Smart.jpg
    WP_20180130_19_53_24_Smart.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 56

Luke222

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys need some advice on my new to me head 360’s! I’ve had the binding re-mounted at my local ski shop to fit my old boots and they’ve just moved the heel piece back. I’ve got no markings on the skis and I don’t know how I’d find original mounting info on skis this old! They are 210cm and the boot front is 41.5” from the tip and the back of the boot to the tail is just over 28” Does this sound and look correct? The boot looks maybe a bit too far back on the ski? Or is this how they are when the skis start getting this long!?

Attachments

• D0FD5A9A-8AC6-4B08-8B80-4436FA1AD687.jpeg
    D0FD5A9A-8AC6-4B08-8B80-4436FA1AD687.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 32
  • EBAB5503-F709-432E-A085-112C6DE3762C.jpeg
    EBAB5503-F709-432E-A085-112C6DE3762C.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 4A933DE8-DFFF-459B-8809-190F58045CBA.jpeg
    4A933DE8-DFFF-459B-8809-190F58045CBA.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 5DA2CC75-10E9-4E17-B35D-EF556FE7EF53.jpeg
    5DA2CC75-10E9-4E17-B35D-EF556FE7EF53.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 48

Uncle-A

Skier
Hey guys need some advice on my new to me head 360’s! I’ve had the binding re-mounted at my local ski shop to fit my old boots and they’ve just moved the heel piece back. I’ve got no markings on the skis and I don’t know how I’d find original mounting info on skis this old! They are 210cm and the boot front is 41.5” from the tip and the back of the boot to the tail is just over 28” Does this sound and look correct? The boot looks maybe a bit too far back on the ski? Or is this how they are when the skis start getting this long!?
Besides the surprise that that you found a shop to touch the bindings back when they were new they would mount bindings a couple ways.

1. The toe of the boot would be placed at one half of cord length of the ski. Take a string and measure from tip to tail, fold it in half and place that length from the tail to the point of the boot toe.
2. Stand the skis base to base but no pressure against each other, mark the spots that the edges touch each other at the tip and tail (these are the contact points). That will be the length or the running surface, place the ball of the foot/boot at the half way point of the running surface length.

If you compare the two methods the spot will probably be very close.

3. Depending on the vintage of the ski on the side wall by the serial number and length markings there may be a little triangle with the point facing up to the top surface of the ski. That might be a toe point mark for the boot.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What @Uncle-A said. Chord length and contact point methods should result in very similar.

Also defining the ball of the foot could prove to be contentious. ;-)

Luke222

Booting up
Skier
Besides the surprise that that you found a shop to touch the bindings back when they were new they would mount bindings a couple ways.

1. The toe of the boot would be placed at one half of cord length of the ski. Take a string and measure from tip to tail, fold it in half and place that length from the tail to the point of the boot toe.
2. Stand the skis base to base but no pressure against each other, mark the spots that the edges touch each other at the tip and tail (these are the contact points). That will be the length or the running surface, place the ball of the foot/boot at the half way point of the running surface length.

If you compare the two methods the spot will probably be very close.

3. Depending on the vintage of the ski on the side wall by the serial number and length markings there may be a little triangle with the point facing up to the top surface of the ski. That might be a toe point mark for the boot.
Oh great thanks! I did the 1st one and it worked out exact half at the front of the boot. So they had been mounted correct originally. The guy at my local ski shop has known me forever so does these weird jobs for me I ski vintage skis all the time!

Luke222

Booting up
Skier
Took the skis out today, they work great. Still working on my technique a bit. I’ve got a slalom race on them in March!

Attachments

• A54299D0-2489-4CCF-A0D0-5D8E9CDFE60A.jpeg
    A54299D0-2489-4CCF-A0D0-5D8E9CDFE60A.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 45

Uncle-A

Skier
Took the skis out today, they work great. Still working on my technique a bit. I’ve got a slalom race on them in March!
The Head 360 might be a little soft for a SL race, the model 360 was to convey an all around ski. When a manufacturer tries to build something that is "all around" sometimes they give up one feature to get another. I personally like a softer ski but not everyone does. One night I had a conversation in a bar with a guy that likes the stiffer skis and I told him the 360 would ski circles around most other skis. He told me if I believed that I really wasn't a skier. At the time he was skiing on a Rossi Strato, I knew about the Strato but had not skied it yet so I didn't argue with him. A few years later I did get to ski on the Strato it was a good ski but a little stiff for my taste.

Luke222

Booting up
Skier
The Head 360 might be a little soft for a SL race, the model 360 was to convey an all around ski. When a manufacturer tries to build something that is "all around" sometimes they give up one feature to get another. I personally like a softer ski but not everyone does. One night I had a conversation in a bar with a guy that likes the stiffer skis and I told him the 360 would ski circles around most other skis. He told me if I believed that I really wasn't a skier. At the time he was skiing on a Rossi Strato, I knew about the Strato but had not skied it yet so I didn't argue with him. A few years later I did get to ski on the Strato it was a good ski but a little stiff for my taste.
Ok interesting, I’d like to try a strato but I’ve not found a pair yet. What model were the head race ski of this era? The master? Also what year would my 360’s be? I’m guessing late 60’s.

Uncle-A

Skier
Ok interesting, I’d like to try a strato but I’ve not found a pair yet. What model were the head race ski of this era? The master? Also what year would my 360’s be? I’m guessing late 60’s.
Yes, the 360 was mid to late 60's and Head actually made a SL & GS ski.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Head Yahoo Promo Movie​

Love it. I miss skiing like that... throwing something off every bump or kicker you could find (or build). I learned to ski on Yahoos (I think they were 160cm and I was 8). So it's fun to see them again.

Tony Warren

Me on the left, The Padre on the right
Skier
The central pivot was placed right over the process of the tibia, it was meant to absorb side shocks and release when torque loading was applied, thus saving your knee and tib. Great idea. However when the ski was flexed in a hard turn, the central pivot would be disconnected from the plate and the binding would release in any one of its many degrees of freedom. A great turn would be turned into a bad fall.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier

Uncle-A

Skier

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They 720 had have been one of the last of the advanced Heads with the black topsheet. Never skied that one.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
After the 720, Head began making their first fiberglass skis. The rivet in the tip of the metal skis was so iconic that all of their early fiberglass skis had a painted rivet on the tip. Their logo has always included the rivet as well.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm thinking 1967-68? for these?
Can anyone nail down the date they became available?
The Head number series 320, 360, 720 was in 1968, just not sure if it was 67 - 68 or 68 - 69. The memory isn't what it used to be.

Sponsor

Staff online