• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I did some more looking around on this topic. Here's what we know.
The Nevada II toe and Grand Prix/ N17 heel came out around 1963.
It had the metal protector to mount to the ski under the heel 'riser' and the early style turntable base. Twin rollers for the astragal on leather boots and screw setting adjuster with range from thread just appearing to screwed down tight.
In this 1966 ad, it appears there is no plastic cover plate but not conclusive.
SKIING Nov 1966 Nordica Look Beconta - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

This 1970 ad shows the new style protector/hold down guide in place of the metal strip and the same early turntable base but now with plastic protector (which would fit earlier models already out)
SKIING Oct 1970 - Look - Pugski.jpg

And by 1971 the new style turntable base was out with the tabs to secure the plastic protector more securely.(and Teflon coated wings on the toe)

SKI Sep 1974 Look.jpg

So draw your own conclusions from what we can nail down. LOOK was slowly evolving the turntable to make incremental improvements over the years. My guess is the covers showed up in the late 60's. It must be making skiers happy because the basic design is still going strong almost 55 years later :D. Now if we can only get them to bring back the Pivot15!!!

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Feb 1975 - Look - Pugski.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It makes my heart go pitter-patter....
View attachment 15703

I have two pair of the 99's one with the brake at the toe and one pair with the brake at the heel. The pair with the brake at the toe is mounted on my Kastle Freestyle Pro the other are in a box. I would like to get a pair of the heels with out the rotor and brake just the side arms and the back part with springs. I have a plan to reengineer a pair of newer looks. If anyone has parts PM me with photos.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I not sure if the numbers were ever pubished bit I wonder which sold more back in the mid 70's Look GT or Salomon 444?
The Look GT was less money than the S 444 and the binding was a little more difficult to step out of because you had to lift the heel as you pulled up on the runaway strap. The S 444 you could just pull up on the runaway strap with out lifting your heel and step out after the release lever was all the way up. So I would guess that the S 444 sold more based on the lazy skiers of the time and maybe I remember mounting more S 444's. Not sure but also sold a ton of them back in the day.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
The boots fit me fairly well. I would like to take the rig out for a spin but would kick myself if the boots exploded. Interesting the 3 different brakes. Looks like left over parts from the 70s?

190s
DSC04094.JPG

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Jan 1973 - Look - Pugski.jpg

SKIING Nov 1974 - Nordica - Pugski.jpg

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had a couple of small chunks break off some other 99s and knew the black casing could be a little fragile. I got these a little while back and they were shipped with the heel pieces up. I guess something got dropped on them because the black plastic totally shattered and looks like even the white threaded din adjustment has a crack also. There is some sort of sweating on some pieces probably a sign of inferior plastic.

DSC04182.JPG

DSC04184.JPG

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe I should say I might try them if someone set it up and I just had to step in but in my mind it seems as fun as tying your feet together and hopping around instead of walking around.