• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Assumptions, assumptions. Plastic Forza, the heel at least and not a pivot. They came clean apart when I tried to cock the heel. There were no little bits of broken plastic so I think they must have broken some time ago and some devious person managed to press it back together. Toe is metal and din 4-10. My other green Forza are 3-10. They were cheap enough and the toes are still good.
DSC04715.JPG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang I've been up to a little more 3D solid modeling. These PDF are of a part/model set I've done in AutoDesk Inventor. The ski I've "mounted" them on is a close approximation of a Head XR1. I'm currently finishing up a Marker Simplex-Rotomat, Marker M4, and Spademan Super II.

Attachments

• Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 1.pdf
    223.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 2.pdf
    245 KB · Views: 15
  • Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 3.pdf
    265.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 5.pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 6.pdf
    304 KB · Views: 14

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice work @RickyG but one nit to pick. I could be wrong but I don't think the N17 ever had an integral AFD. They showed up with toe brakes in later years.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
I do have one laying around with the toe snap in ski brake but these pictures are what I used to model the current assembly. I'll model up the ski brake one soon.

Attachments

• 396126872_1e6a728ab3_o.jpg
    396126872_1e6a728ab3_o.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 396126697_5f91f372a4_o.jpg
    396126697_5f91f372a4_o.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 396126975_98bd663817_o.jpg
    396126975_98bd663817_o.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 396127157_697ce026e7_o.jpg
    396127157_697ce026e7_o.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 24

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang...here is another experiment I've made a 3D PDF out of the Look assembly I'm interested if it works in this environment or do you need to download it to activate it. It seems you'll need to go under "options" and OK the PDF as trustable. If you're antsy just use the "only this time" option. Use your left mouse button and the center roller to pan/zoom/orbit the assembly.

Attachments

• Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 27

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Nice work @RickyG but one nit to pick. I could be wrong but I don't think the N17 ever had an integral AFD. They showed up with toe brakes in later years.
I think when they rotated the mounting plate 180 degrees to help with screw retention is when they added the integrated AFD. The red toe and heel in the model looks correct to me. BTW it was also available in blue and some other limited colors.

Uncle-A

Skier
I always figured they rotated the mounting plate so the tech didn't have to rotate the toe to get the front screw in.
The wings on the toe are long and when the higher back boots came along people started pulling the toe off the ski because of the leverage from the combination of the two. It happened to me and that is a bit embarrassing for a guy that mounts bindings to pull a toe off a ski although I didn't mount that pair. Also around the same time the Hexcel ski came out that was known for needing special mounting procedure and worked best with short wing bindings. The rotated mounting plate did solve this problem for Look and they did it for the entire line of bindings. Their next step was to go to the four screw toe that we see on newer bindings.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
It seems my pair of Looks have the older style base set up for the brake system I have. I'll model this up in the near future and add it to the existing Look. As you'll see I have a set of 1st gen Alsop Bindings that will get the 3D modeling process also in the near future. I'll be putting up my Spademan Super II (on a THE ski), and my Marker M4/Rotomat with brake (on a K2 255) soon. Those are mostly done.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 21

Uncle-A

Skier
It seems my pair of Looks have the older style base set up for the brake system I have. I'll model this up in the near future and add it to the existing Look. As you'll see I have a set of 1st gen Alsop Bindings that will get the 3D modeling process also in the near future. I'll be putting up my Spademan Super II (on a THE ski), and my Marker M4/Rotomat with brake (on a K2 255) soon. Those are mostly done.
I look forward to the Alsop because they are the bindings I had on my Hexcel's. They had a very short wing on their toes and they were the next pair of new skis and binding I purchased after I pulled the Looks off my Fisher skis. The Fishers were not lost because I glued the top sheet back down and mounted Spademan bindings before I sold them.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think when they rotated the mounting plate 180 degrees to help with screw retention is when they added the integrated AFD. The red toe and heel in the model looks correct to me. BTW it was also available in blue and some other limited colors.

Orange N17 on 223 Sohler in the Sohler thread.

IMG_0628.JPG

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOOK toe brakes

IMG_0624.JPG

Found these brake retainers while rooting around. At least I am assuming they are retainers. They work on heel brakes also but rubber bands work better.

IMG_0635.JPG

Uncle-A

Skier
Orange N17 on 223 Sohler in the Sohler thread.

View attachment 65147
Three mounting screws with the single screw up front. Old school and not sure if I ever saw the orange before. Every time I say I have not seen a color another one shows up.

Sponsor