• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
View attachment 83055 View attachment 83055 View attachment 83056 View attachment 83057

Today I found , in a small second hand shop , a pair of Marker M33S/M3S still in their original plastic bags and boxes .
Paid $15 for those ( cdn ) .

Now ... what to do ?
Put them on old K2 El Camino , ratchet the tension to 3 ( the max ) and try some powder skiing with the gig ?
Or I leave them intact , in the unopened plastic bags , for future archeologists who will dig where my house is ?

Let me know quickly ... my drill hand is shaking !!!!!!
Hi are you in the mood to sell them? I'm the one doing the 3D solid model/videos of old ski bindings and I'm trying to do the M3S/TR Rotomat right now and I can't find much data much less a real toe to work from....hummmm....you can see my work at HRG3Design on YouTube...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv8DcrNXE1DDT9fkbtz3VEg?view_as=subscriber
you can also reach me at [email protected]

Posaune

sliding
Skier
On my cabin wall. NFS.

IMG_0108.jpg

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
I was talking with Phil the other day about my first backcountry setup. Here it is. From the lack of images of the M3-S I'm guessing it was short lived. I don't know whether the touring version of the Rotamat heel was sold with a specific toe piece or not. This set came to me from my sister as is.

I toured on these on Mt. Washington in the 80s. The ski was great for the day, the binding left a lot to be desired. It probably was one reason I got into telemark shortly thereafter.

View attachment 23463
in ski mode

View attachment 23462

View attachment 23461

View attachment 23460
in tour mode. The range of movement is pretty limited by today's standards. Also, there is no heel lift for steeps.
Doug I have a request...could you please unscrew a toe then take a picture of the bottom of the toe unit and the top of the ski. I can't remember how the toe is mounted there are the two screws closest to the boot. The I keep thinking there is a clip towards the front that is like the M4 clip. Since I made the model off of the patent drawings I found I don't have the real data on the mounting. Thank you!

Attachments

• Close Up Iso Marker M3 Front Mount.jpg
    Close Up Iso Marker M3 Front Mount.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 22

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Doug I have a request...could you please unscrew a toe then take a picture of the bottom of the toe unit and the top of the ski. I can't remember how the toe is mounted there are the two screws closest to the boot. The I keep thinking there is a clip towards the front that is like the M4 clip. Since I made the model off of the patent drawings I found I don't have the real data on the mounting. Thank you!

IMG_20200420_174138061.jpg IMG_20200420_174117426.jpg
Just two screws. No clip like the M4.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Since this is the Marker thread, I'm going to be the spelling police and say it is Rotamat. Always has been, always will be.

:beercheer:

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
I have these M36 on my Olin MK VI. I bought some cheap Atomic Z12 to mount and have a fun 2nd pair of skis for the hell of it. I liked these skis in the 80's a lot. In removing the toes, does the top plastic come off to reveal the mounting screws?

I skied this rig last year a few times. They skied slow so I think they need a wax job.

Attachments

• 20210822_172320[1].jpg
    20210822_172320[1].jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 20

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have these M36 on my Olin MK VI. I bought some cheap Atomic Z12 to mount and have a fun 2nd pair of skis for the hell of it. I liked these skis in the 80's a lot. In removing the toes, does the top plastic come off to reveal the mounting screws?

I skied this rig last year a few times. They skied slow so I think they need a wax job.
There are three screws IIRC. The two you see and one in a tab. When the visible screws are removed The Binding will slide off the tab and then you remove the screw when it is revealed.

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the fast reply. btw, that little black tow plate pops off and there are 2 screws under it. I need a bigger screwdriver and those suckers are locked in place. no budge

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You need a Pozi-drive #3 screwdriver. Heat the screw driver tip, hold it on the screw head to allow it to warm the screw and glue. Then give it a twist. A little tap on the driver while on the screws will sometimes loosen the glue's grip.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thanks for the fast reply. btw, that little black tow plate pops off and there are 2 screws under it. I need a bigger screwdriver and those suckers are locked in place. no budge
If heating the tip of your pozi #3 doesn't work, try the tip of a soldering iron to the screw head. That has worked for me in the past.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
ANNIVERSARY-TOY - WP_20160127_14_48_10_Pro.jpg
When you get the two screws out you have to slide the toe towards the tail of the ski. The attached photo shows the third screw with a plate, the one on the left is a vintage Marker and the one on the right is for a vintage Tyrolia.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are the M36 twin cams "safe" if cleaned out and greased?
Apparently the plastic parts are likely to break?

I need some slightly more modern bindings for the 1969/70 Dynamics bought in HS. I don't want to tighten the original M simplex toe/cheap japanese heel bindings down much but have reported on here last year about skiing out of them on bumps and steeps. I picked a set of dynastars out of one of the local $5 barrels for the Marker bindings since nothing else in the barrel was remotely more modern. If the M36 are not a good idea, it was a cheap thrill and easy to drop off somewhere in another barrel. :) I did score a set of Head Masters with very early Marker toe, Gese-Rasant heels. Maybe to try, certainly for the wall.

What would be a good modern binding? Does not have to be period correct; but some preference for being able to adjust position of heel for different boots, or even toe and heel to play with balance point.

Are all-metal Look Nevada's considered safe? I can make (machine) any metal parts.

There's also a set of Tyrolia 280D's here?

thanks!
smt

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are the M36 twin cams "safe" if cleaned out and greased?
Apparently the plastic parts are likely to break?

I need some slightly more modern bindings for the 1969/70 Dynamics bought in HS. I don't want to tighten the original M simplex toe/cheap japanese heel bindings down much but have reported on here last year about skiing out of them on bumps and steeps. I picked a set of dynastars out of one of the local $5 barrels for the Marker bindings since nothing else in the barrel was remotely more modern. If the M36 are not a good idea, it was a cheap thrill and easy to drop off somewhere in another barrel. :) I did score a set of Head Masters with very early Marker toe, Gese-Rasant heels. Maybe to try, certainly for the wall.

What would be a good modern binding? Does not have to be period correct; but some preference for being able to adjust position of heel for different boots, or even toe and heel to play with balance point.

Are all-metal Look Nevada's considered safe? I can make (machine) any metal parts.

There's also a set of Tyrolia 280D's here?

thanks!
smt
The only bindings I would consider would be all metal race bindings, bindings that have minimal plastics at critical points especially housings.