• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All things MONOSKI

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Couldn't find a dedicated monoski thread. (HaHa I wonder why;) decided it was time. not sure if it should be here on in the vintage area. but I know as of today there is at least one other member who recently acquired a Monoski.

I now have 3 monoskis. I purchased a old Rossignol Extreme from Lowell many years ago(epic ski days) and this fall I found two SKI TECH RESEARCH boards. One seems to be a prototype without any graphics. plan is to paint it like "the ski" and we'll call it "The ONE SKI" it was made in Sun Valley may even have to put spademans on it. My teenage son has really taken to it.
20210119_192141.jpg
20210119_192157.jpg

TS
Royal

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Here's a pic of my son all dressed up in 80's gear(thanks Phil)
waltermono2020.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
TechniSki is the skateboard version of a monoski.. Same motions to ride both..

TS
Royal

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Boy got a new monoski for Christmas. Just need some bindings on it now. I finally got some paint and graphics on the old all white ski. Bindings are NOS 747 equipes.
(thanks Lowell)
Long live the badies !
20211225_120804.jpg

Attachments

• 20211225_120804.jpg
    20211225_120804.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 18

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
On my RUN1 video at:

One will at between 0:40 and 0:47 see 3 monoskiers pass my position on the road left. Numbers of monoskiers living down in the Carson Valley regularly ski both Kirkwood and Heavenly with most accomplished bump skiers. A good snow tool to get in touch with one's twisty wiggly ancient Earth creature worm.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of the guys I ski with on occasion has a mono ski. He generally skis the morning on a pair of skis and the afternoon on the mono ski. He does have a good tight parallel on the morning so it is not a problem for him in the afternoon. Next time I ski with him I will have to get a picture.

TS
Royal

Royal

UTAH
Skier
One of the guys I ski with on occasion has a mono ski. He generally skis the morning on a pair of skis and the afternoon on the mono ski. He does have a good tight parallel on the morning so it is not a problem for him in the afternoon. Next time I ski with him I will have to get a picture.
yes please. post a pic.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a monoski from about 1990 until 2018. I had last used it around 2000 and decided to throw it out.
It was a Rossignol Fait d’Hiver. I was actually quite good at it and I found it to be really good in powder and crud. I could easily transition from skis to the mono over the course of a ski day, but not the other way around. Skiing on the uphill outside edge tends to screw up one‘s muscle memory for a few hours.
Strangely, my nephew asked me about if I still had my monoski last night and this morning, I saw this thread! Karma?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I could easily transition from skis to the mono over the course of a ski day, but not the other way around. Skiing on the uphill outside edge tends to screw up one‘s muscle memory for a few hours.

I had the opposite problem - went from Atomic Sugar Daddies to a Lunar and kept over-committing and over-turning it for most of the day. After I finally got it I went back to narrow skis (Volkl G2s IIRC) and had no problem doing r e a l l y s l o w a n d s u r f y powder turns with them. What was ruined for me was dealing with bumps.

TS
Royal

Royal

UTAH
Skier
How old is the photo? Not only is the suit old, the boots have a vintage look also.:)
Photo is from 4 days ago! A lot of the teenagers in our area are fully embracing the 80's. They compete for the most outrageous( read UGLY) one piece suits and drool over Pit Viper sunglasses etc... My son even went so far as to find some rear entry boots(the ones in the pic are Heierlng Concord). He really wants some Solomon SX91's. He claims rear entry works better for Monoskiing, and as many of you know, you cant tell a teenager anything. :doh:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Photo is from 4 days ago! A lot of the teenagers in our area are fully embracing the 80's. They compete for the most outrageous( read UGLY) one piece suits and drool over Pit Viper sunglasses etc... My son even went so far as to find some rear entry boots(the ones in the pic are Heierlng Concord). He really wants some Solomon SX91's. He claims rear entry works better for Monoskiing, and as many of you know, you cant tell a teenager anything. :doh:
I do find it interesting that the teenagers are embracingthe 80's. Could it be that they want what their parents had?

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
What is the big selling point of the mono? Does it have a certain feel to it or advantage? It would freak me out to have my legs together on the same plane!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What is the big selling point of the mono? Does it have a certain feel to it or advantage? It would freak me out to have my legs together on the same plane!!

Very definitely has a 'certain feel'. Kind of relaxing, really. Slays pow and crud, but you still have pretty direct edge access, better than a midfat once you get used to lateral pressure.

If you are really strongly two footed and inside-edge oriented, it will probably feel like you're trying to bend the board down the middle. And obviously you won't be skating any runouts. And putting the ski on has to happen in very definite order.

If you can find one to try, even for a half day, it will change how your body responds to your own skis when you go back to them. Totally worth it. IMO, YMMV and so forth.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lookin' good fellas, love the Onsie too !:thumb::golfclap: