• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have always appreciated a new, slightly modern, tune on my retro skis. I usually put a 1/1 on them and try to keep the structure fine. @sortaold, if you really want to get out on your Olins and have the best chance at fun time, get them tuned. You also have to appreciate that you have to change your technique to make them work.

On my recently tuned Dynamic VR17s. In this slush, the tune was less important, but I wasn't trying to ski 'modern' either.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I took my Olins Mark VI SL Comps out on the last run of the day. Newly mounted Atomic Z12 bindings. I had previously sharpened the edges with some honing stones and thought they we ok.

The run was awful. I;d been skiing all day on Blizzard Magnum 8.1, freshly tuned, and they were brilliant all day. Perfect in fact. The Olins were slow and unresponsive in comparison and I fell in a packed glade, just couldn't establish or keep the edge.

My question is, is it worth taking them to a tech? I remember these skis performing way better than they did and I don;t expect them to coompete with the blizzards but they were a very good ski in the day.
What gives?
You have invested in a binding and mount so a professional tune up is part of getting the value out of the first investment. If you plan on skiing them more than just once you might as well get them tuned.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I hope to ski on my different OLIN MARK skis one day and these recent posts are a reminder to begin with good tune.
Maybe either Van Halen or Aerosmith- just kidding - a proper ski base and edge tuning.

If the MARK Vl COMP SL was developed for Slalom gates then maybe it helps to ski invisible gates- unweighting and really pounding on your inside edge of your downhill ski- keeping pressure through the tail of that ski to finish a turn.
Just speculation . . but it could be like driving a Ferrari-
On the freeway or wide open at Laguna Seca!

Uncle-A

Skier
Skied pretty much all the Orlins from the I to the VI to one extent or another. The V was my personal favorite, or at least the best memories.
If I remember correctly the Mark V was a GS ski.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If I remember correctly the Mark V was a GS ski.
That is what Olin called it. In today's world it would be an All Mountain ski and a good one for the NW. It was damp with a bunch of metal in it. Skied it in everything from icy bumps to bottomless. Turned mine into a pair of rocker skis off a really big mogul, they still skied fairly well.

Uncle-A

Skier
That is what Olin called it. In today's world it would be an All Mountain ski and a good one for the NW. It was damp with a bunch of metal in it. Skied it in everything from icy bumps to bottomless. Turned mine into a pair of rocker skis off a really big mogul, they still skied fairly well.
Probably the most underrated ski in the entire Olin line.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
** I am describing my yellow MARK V’s
I also hope to one day ski my black MARK V’s a straight up old school slalom ski. Back in the day a standard Slalom ski was 195cm
Not 150cm lol.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I hope to ski my V’s one day.
They look thinner (side view) than my other Mark Olins.
?
The yellow Mark V was a very thin profile ski. Think that was one of the thins that made it so much fun in 3D snow; and might well have contributed to bending both tips. They were a very fun recreational ski.

Uncle-A

Skier
** I am describing my yellow MARK V’s
I also hope to one day ski my black MARK V’s a straight up old school slalom ski. Back in the day a standard Slalom ski was 195cm
Not 150cm lol.
How about a picture of those black Mark V's.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I call these my “Tail Feathers” OLIN MARK skis.
A keen eye will notice the MARK Vll’s are photo shopped in- they just weren’t handy when I photographed the rest of the group.
Comp GS are a different animal all together with low tips and supposedly high carbon p-Tex!

Attachments

• 5C3DE6E7-0210-4071-9290-9AE62449CDF6.jpeg
    5C3DE6E7-0210-4071-9290-9AE62449CDF6.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 21

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Free to a good home, just pay shipping.

IMG_20220219_170956375.jpg

Someone left these outside a ski shop. I went in to ask about them and the shop owner said 'What skis?' Wink wink, nod, nod. I suspect that the shop didn't want to adjust them for someone and they abandoned them. The only defects are the previous owner's engraved name covered with, apparently, blue nail polish. Note, these are the rear facing brakes/AFDs, not the suicide front facing ones.

Sponsor

Staff online