• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have had these since new, they have spent the past 35 years or so in a ski bag, along with some other stuff. Always in my basement so never very hot or cold or humid or dry. Pretty decent condition if I do say so myself.
CompIV_8124.jpg

I was a big Olin fan back then, I got these after a couple seasons on some Mark IVs. And now that I think about it, I'll bet I still have my Olin Skis baseball cap somewhere down there. I was bummed that Olin skis aren't available anymore. Hey, I just realized that these days I'm a big Ohlins fan, as in the suspension company. Coincidence? Hmmm....

Anyway, I'm getting back into skiing now that I've retired and I think these deserve to see sunlight again. I'm wondering if it's worth picking up some Power Rails and borrowing the Protector bindings off the skis I just bought, or run the Salomon 747s after some TLC. My new boots won't fit the 747s which is one reason I'm leaning towards the modern bindings. I haven't tried the Salomons on yet.

I can't imagine I'd use them more than an occassional casual day in the midwest, so not exactly pushing any limits of ski or skier... that 250 foot vertical isn't exactly the most demanding for skis or skier. Sigh... just typing that makes me sad... I need to go live with my sister in Colorado...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd try to find some METAL 747 E heels. Helps that they were kept inside but early 80s plastic is still early 80s plastic.

I had to swap out plastic Geze for metal Geze when they started to crack a couple years ago.. Painted them to match better..

Retro Skis.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have had these since new, they have spent the past 35 years or so in a ski bag, along with some other stuff. Always in my basement so never very hot or cold or humid or dry. Pretty decent condition if I do say so myself.
CompIV_8124.jpg

I was a big Olin fan back then, I got these after a couple seasons on some Mark IVs. And now that I think about it, I'll bet I still have my Olin Skis baseball cap somewhere down there. I was bummed that Olin skis aren't available anymore. Hey, I just realized that these days I'm a big Ohlins fan, as in the suspension company. Coincidence? Hmmm....

Anyway, I'm getting back into skiing now that I've retired and I think these deserve to see sunlight again. I'm wondering if it's worth picking up some Power Rails and borrowing the Protector bindings off the skis I just bought, or run the Salomon 747s after some TLC. My new boots won't fit the 747s which is one reason I'm leaning towards the modern bindings. I haven't tried the Salomons on yet.

I can't imagine I'd use them more than an occassional casual day in the midwest, so not exactly pushing any limits of ski or skier... that 250 foot vertical isn't exactly the most demanding for skis or skier. Sigh... just typing that makes me sad... I need to go live with my sister in Colorado...
Definitely go for new bindings I would not use the plastic 747's. The skis look good, what length are they? I had a pair of the original Mark IV and never had a chance to ski the IV Comps, enjoy them with the new bindings.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of my best friends in H.S. was given free skis by Olin as he was a nationally ranked ( top5?) USSA freestyler.
Unlike K2 and Rossi, Olin actually wanted the skis back at the end of the season. I asked the rep why- the skis were barely recognizable -he told me they X-ray them ,test how much the flex changed , etc. “ The we destroy them”.
Olin, being a chemical company at heart , took scientific testing seriously apparently.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had just assumed they were metal bindings but after reading the comments went and checked. Yep, plastic. Hey, it' sbeen 40 years, I can't be expected to remember EVERYTHING about them. ;-)

No biggie, if I can put my modern bindings on them with just the addition of power rails, I can also use my new boots and it won't cost much at all. They're not worth putting new bindings on IMHO.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Keep an eye on Craigslist and thrift stores for old skis. It's not all that hard to find some with 700 series Salomon Equipes on them. Find some and swap them out...

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I skied with those same Salomon SX grey/black style boots in the 1980’s and they served me well.
About 10 years ago I finally acquired a pair of the ones I always wanted: the red and white Salomon Equipe boots.
I daringly skied with them and they were just fine. A true testament to quality Salomon materials and construction plus I wasn’t pushing them to the max I suppose.
My Grey and Black ones will probably work well too, I only noticed the skin is peeling for the boot insert.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd try to find some METAL 747 E heels. Helps that they were kept inside but early 80s plastic is still early 80s plastic.

I had to swap out plastic Geze for metal Geze when they started to crack a couple years ago.. Painted them to match better..

View attachment 191508
There’s a good chunk of my youth in that picture. Still have my Scott “The SKI Poles “ but otherwise it all got traded, ended up in a damp basement etc. . Then , they were just old skis, now they are memories . Of course hindsight is cheap .( anuyone have a pair of Besser plates - just need the plates, let me know- we turned up my brothers Dynastars in an aunts attic but the plates are missing. . ) :D
Love your collection, I miss my old friends

Uncle-A

Skier
Found a new vintage Olin Mark ski I never heard of. Looking for a pair to add to my collection.
This is a thing:
OLIN MARK XXV
Have you seen any pictures of the XXV? Just wondering if it is special make up ski, all though I didn't think that Olin was doing any of that.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
The fact that nowhere and I mean absolutely nowhere on the big www has there ever been anything at all about OLIN MARK XXV (except that flare gun lol) but for skis, 10+ years of searching out OLIN MARK SKIS for my MARK VI & MARK VII skis ( that I finally found,) and never has there ever been anything- that makes these that rare!
I might hit Google books for ski magazines dated 25 years after the release of the OLIN MARK l.
So I have the pics but not sure if I should post. . Maybe the mystery should remain?
@Philpug got it right, anniversary pair.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
The fact that nowhere and I mean absolutely nowhere on the big www has there ever been anything at all about OLIN MARK XXV (except that flare gun lol) but for skis, 10+ years of searching out OLIN MARK SKIS for my MARK VI & MARK VII skis ( that I finally found,) and never has there ever been anything. I might hit Google books for ski magazines dated 25 years after the release of the OLIN MARK l.
So I have the pics but not sure if I should post. . Maybe the mystery should remain?
@Philpug got it right, anniversary pair.
I don't think they made skis for 25 years unless it was their last pair of skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think they made skis for 25 years unless it was their last pair of skis.
These are also straight skis, Olin produced shape skis in the mid 90's my guess is these were a 25th anniversary of the Mark Collection.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
These are also straight skis, Olin produced shape skis in the mid 90's my guess is these were a 25th anniversary of the Mark Collection.
No. It can't be. @Philpug is making a guess about skis? Tell me it isn't so! :eek:

:beercheer:

You can whack me up the side of the head when I visit. :rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online