• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony Warren

Me on the left, The Padre on the right
Skier
In theory the Head binding should have been awesome. It wasn't. The Spademan was a pure friction grip so that was bad. And the Burt gave the binding loads of chances to keep breaking your leg.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied on Burts ( 1st generation ) for a season -mostly for the novelty . I don’t think the concept was bad but there were issues with cables , springs ( I broke one)complexity and weight. A larger company might have had more $ for prototyping and testing prior to launch.
As for Spademans, I competed on Super 2’s and 3’s and had no problems whatsoever and I wouldn’t have any qualms about skiing on a good pair of S4’s now- the design was improved consistently and brilliantly simple. As for friction- well, that’s part of what keeps your boot attached to your binding-pressure = friction . it’s when there is too much friction that problems occur. The actual surface area and the friction coefficients of the Spademan plate/clamp are relatively small and most importantly, directly in line with the tibia, alleviating torque loading.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I skied on Burts ( 1st generation ) for a season -mostly for the novelty . I don’t think the concept was bad but there were issues with cables , springs ( I broke one)complexity and weight. A larger company might have had more $ for prototyping and testing prior to launch.
As for Spademans, I competed on Super 2’s and 3’s and had no problems whatsoever and I wouldn’t have any qualms about skiing on a good pair of S4’s now- the design was improved consistently and brilliantly simple. As for friction- well, that’s part of what keeps your boot attached to your binding-pressure = friction . it’s when there is too much friction that problems occur. The actual surface area and the friction coefficients of the Spademan plate/clamp are relatively small and most importantly, directly in line with the tibia, alleviating torque loading.
I skied the first generation Burt also but not more than one season if that. I didn't have any cable issues, just couldn't get past the weight. They were mounted on a pair or Olin Mark IV's and everytime I tried to jump off a bump the tails would drag. Sold them at a ski swap to some younger guy, just because they were not good for me doesn't mean they were not good for someone else.

Sponsor

Staff online