• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All Things Salomon

Salomon Ski Bindings, Ski Boots, and Skis

We have our Look Pivot thread, we have a Spademan thread so lets start a Salomon thread. Years ago I started a thread on Epic, and if I recall, it was my 727th post, "The most important binding of all time, the S727". Yes, the Pivot has had much love of late with it's historic design and yes Salomon went to a single pivot toe peice design after Look but it is other areas that make the 727 so influential.
  • The toe is the first with a multi directional design, a single pivot with upward compensation
  • The first binding with an integrated retractable brake, at the time all the brakes were afterthoughts
  • A heel design that has been copied by every other manufacturer in some capacity and is still used today
  • The first DIN binding. the first years were not actually DIN but 1-4 but were still able to pass DIN tests.
This is my 2222 post so here is a pair (2) 222 toes:

Other Salomon pictures will be coming soon.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Alright Phil, I'll lead of with some of the early stuff as I KNOW you've got all the later models covered in full!

Salomon 500

Salomon 500.jpg

Salomon 502
Salomon 502 1970b.JPG

Salomon 505
Salomon 505.JPG

Salomon 555 Equipe, from here on out I only deal with Equipe models!
Sal 555 w brakes.jpg

Salomon 727 Equipe
S727 1981.jpg

Salomon 727 Equipe in box.jpg

Salomon 737 Equipe
Salomon 737 Equipe.jpg

Alright @Philpug, continue with S747E....

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I still have working 444, 502, 505 and I recently acquired some 555's. The toe piece rollers are all still round and serviceable. I took one pair of 444 rentals off of the K2 Shorts that have flattened rollers. I also have the 1st gen 727's with the 1-4 release settings and metal heels. The only ones that have ever given me trouble are the C610 and Z10Ti. Those don't take kindly to deploying the brakes while going backward. I exploded a base plate on the Z10Ti that way.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have 977 Composites on my bump skis. REALLY lightweight :) Coming up on 10 years that they've been out on the market. Any bets on when they blow? I'll be skiing them on Extrovert at Blue Knob this weekend if the coverage is still decent there and not a bunch of dirt and rocks between the bumps. Should be nice and soft with temps in the 30s-40s.

Looks like these are the same ones..

Still have some 877E in service and a bunch of other 900s. Really like that the hole pattern is the same for all.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
A couple weeks ago I saw someone skiing on some 757's exactly like the terminated ones @Uncle-A pictured above. I remember wondering why they hadn't blown yet, and then I moved around in front of her out of the line of fire in case they did.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Salomon went to three screws on the 737 toe then back to four again with the 747. I wonder why?

It's not as much the number of screws as it is where they are placed. The amount of leverage the toe piece (and heel too for that matter) can get on them as a fulcrum is the real issue. Some designs are MUCH better than others in this regard!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, here's a question for all you Salomon experts.

Why, on the 4 hole toe pieces is the left hand rear screw hole slightly inset???? Did someone at Salomon screw up the dimensions on the drawings or on the tooling? And then they decided just to keep it???? Has always intrigued and baffled me!!!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the memories. I had 737's, 747's and 757's. Was always a Salomon guy after fighting with a hated set of Marker Rotomats...never tried Look Nevadas.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's not as much the number of screws as it is where they are placed. The amount of leverage the toe piece (and heel too for that matter) can get on them as a fulcrum is the real issue. Some designs are MUCH better than others in this regard!

Other manufactures that used the three hole triangle toe mounting and rotated the configuration 180 degrees to reduce the leverage on the toe created by high back boots. It was a good move but sometimes short lived when they went to the four hole configuration. Maybe they tried the three hole as a cost saving one less screw per toe and thousands of toes does add up, after all they are in it to make a profit.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, here's a question for all you Salomon experts.

Why, on the 4 hole toe pieces is the left hand rear screw hole slightly inset???? Did someone at Salomon screw up the dimensions on the drawings or on the tooling? And then they decided just to keep it???? Has always intrigued and baffled me!!!
Not sure what you are referring to. :huh:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what you are referring to. :huh:

They look like they are symmetrical but if you measure the hole spacing on the toes, the rear 2 are ~2mm closer together. the rh one lines up with the front but the left one is slightly inset. MEasure it on your jig!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@Philpug
What year is that SX90 Equipe in the picture above? I don't remember it. It is rounder, less angular that all the other SX Equipes that I am familiar with... :huh:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon Brochure - Petersen Collection - Pugski.jpg

From my collection

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug
What year is that SX90 Equipe in the picture above? I don't remember it. It is rounder, less angular that all the other SX Equipes that I am familiar with... :huh:

They were introduced in fall, 1980, but I do not think you could buy them until a year of 2 later.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKI Sept 1976 - Salomon - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

Sponsor