• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob Salerno Send Off. 1953-2021

IMG_0021.JPG

clancya

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Scott poles are my favorite, specifically the Series 4, S4, shafts often named Racer or World Cup. Been skiing with them since the late 80's, pic below. In the other picture is a pair of Head branded Scott's in addition to the other great ski pole, Reflex's world cup version. The Reflex didn't have great grips, so they have been replaced by a pair of Scott's.

PXL_20211128_232716887.jpg
1640572087482-20e24878-dce8-4830-a2cc-8f44ffe99604.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Scott poles are my favorite, specifically the Series 4, S4, shafts often named Racer or World Cup. Been skiing with them since the late 80's, pic below. In the other picture is a pair of Head branded Scott's in addition to the other great ski pole, Reflex's world cup version. The Reflex didn't have great grips, so they have been replaced by a pair of Scott's.

View attachment 155512 View attachment 155513
The poles that are third from the left, I had a pair of those up to a couple of years ago, I gave them to a friend that purchased a pair of skis from me as part of the deal. They may have been 30 years old and still good, although I had replaced one of the grips several years back. I broke the grip on a very cold day, I was using the pole upside-down to get the snow and ice off the bottom of my boot before stepping in the binding and the grip cracked from the combination of cold and smacking it against the boot. My bad, fortunately I was able to find another Scott grip almost identical and replace the broken one at no cost.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The poles that are third from the left, I had a pair of those up to a couple of years ago, I gave them to a friend that purchased a pair of skis from me as part of the deal. They may have been 30 years old and still good, although I had replaced one of the grips several years back. I broke the grip on a very cold day, I was using the pole upside-down to get the snow and ice off the bottom of my boot before stepping in the binding and the grip cracked from the combination of cold and smacking it against the boot. My bad, fortunately I was able to find another Scott grip almost identical and replace the broken one at no cost.

I noticed those too. I still have mine also. They were made in Italy and my "go to" poles for many years in High School and after.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Has anyone heard of a Scott pole being made in Italy?
View attachment 117878
Just below the grip you can see Italy. The Scott name is fading from the pole but it is clear on the top of the grip.
And Gipron was/is making an exactly copy of the Scott poles (not the strapless model of the picture quoted, as soon as I will be able to, I snap a pic of mine). I still use it sometimes, in GS training.
See here

Gipron race poles

clancya

Skier
. I broke the grip on a very cold day, I was using the pole upside-down to get the snow and ice off the bottom of my boot before stepping in the binding and the grip cracked from the combination of cold and smacking it against the boot. My bad, fortunately I was able to find another Scott grip almost identical and replace the broken one at no cost.
I could imagine them cracking.

I am looking for some vintage decals for a pole project, specifically the long "S" logo.

Uncle-A

Skier
I could imagine them cracking.

I am looking for some vintage decals for a pole project, specifically the long "S" logo.
That might have to be a direct from the manufacturer item. I have never seen the Scott decals in and of the shops I worked or visited. I seem to remember a peel and stick vinyl for the goggles but not the poles.

Uncle-A

Skier
One of the guys I ski with stopped by my house and I have been lucky to be able to ski with people that were customers at the shop I worked. So he takes a pair of poles out of his car and asked do you remember when you sold me these about 35 years ago? I recognized the poles immediately and he let me take a few photos and said he was going to take them out a few times this year just for old times sake.
I posted this in the All Things The Ski thread a while back and I should have put it here as well.

clancya

Skier
The white Head poles in my above post are rebranded Scott poles but they have been transformed into a retro Scott with some custom decals. First ones are from online and the second are my clones.

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_195526.jpg
    IMG_20220308_195526.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is an incredible archive of ski history here. For those of us who don't know the history of Scott as well as some of you do, what year did Scott discontinue its boot line? Did they continue to make skis all throughout the years from their inception? It seems like their skis came back around about 10 yrs ago even though they don't seem to sell a ton of them. What is the current state of the company?

Nobody

Skier
Has anyone heard of a Scott pole being made in Italy?
View attachment 117878
Just below the grip you can see Italy. The Scott name is fading from the pole but it is clear on the top of the grip.
There is an Italian pole producers that was producing and selling woth their brand name exact same poles as the Scott ones (albeit not the one in the above picture), name is Gipron.
I still have one pair fromnthe mid '90s in the basement, and use it from time to time in the GS gates...
Probably it was an outsourcer for Scott...

Uncle-A

Skier
There is an Italian pole producers that was producing and selling woth their brand name exact same poles as the Scott ones (albeit not the one in the above picture), name is Gipron.
I still have one pair fromnthe mid '90s in the basement, and use it from time to time in the GS gates...
Probably it was an outsourcer for Scott...
The name Gipron sounds familiar but from back around the 1970's nothing recent comes to mind. Thanks.

Nobody

Skier
The name Gipron sounds familiar but from back around the 1970's nothing recent comes to mind. Thanks.
A lot of time has passed but I still feel I owe you a comment/answer, @Uncle-A !!!
I meant to take pictures of my poles, up in the mountain but kept forgetting to do it

I just found out that Gipron is still in business, and "my" poles are still being produced/marketed, albeit in different colour scheme.
The handle is still exactly the same, though :

"My" poles colour scheme is this one (this is an SL pole set from the late '90s, and like these, mine were straight models), even if mine are battered up a lot by use and misuse

But if you look at both types of handles, and general appearance of the poles, they are , IMHO a carbon copy of the Scott ones of the same era.

Sponsor

Staff online