• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The recoiler lock in the day was quite a smart device, arguably ahead of its time, but the ski tote...... sigh. Their international sales guy effect told me 'look we have no idea who buys these, we think that they're mainly bought as gifts for skiers by friends and relatives who have either never skied or are desperate to find a gift' [probably in a hurry].
I guess that international sales guy never had a pair of skis stolen.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I guess that international sales guy never had a pair of skis stolen.

The recoiler was great and did the trick but the brick that was the ski tote, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, he was happy to sell them, but on this side of the pond they were a tough ask [there were also cost issues as it's a relatively low value product that takes up a lot of space so the shipping was a bit disproportionate and you then have to add duty onto the shipping and so on].

I think If I'd been nervous about ski thefts I'd just have taken the lock out of it.

You got me looking and I'd forgotten that there was a ver 2 which was almost pocketable [and of course perfect to buy as a gift when you're in a desperate hurry :)]

Uncle-A

Skier
The recoiler was great and did the trick but the brick that was the ski tote, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, he was happy to sell them, but on this side of the pond they were a tough ask [there were also cost issues as it's a relatively low value product that takes up a lot of space so the shipping was a bit disproportionate and you then have to add duty onto the shipping and so on].

I think If I'd been nervous about ski thefts I'd just have taken the lock out of it.

You got me looking and I'd forgotten that there was a ver 2 which was almost pocketable [and of course perfect to buy as a gift when you're in a desperate hurry :)]
We just had version 2 that was pocket size. As for as version 1 that was big because of the carrier, I would recommend to my customers to just lock it to the ski rack when it was empty and they were skiing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This was a much better mouse trap. I still have one and use it every ski day.. but with a smaller cable. I leave it at the base with my yak trax hanging off the cable too while I ski.
1_ae982211c782f27e75ee142893c5e70f.jpg

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yep, me I just use what is now a knock off of the recoiler, a bike lock that goes into my pocket. I seem to remember having a Collins one at some stage.

In the interests of research I looked around for Ski Tote and see that there are still new ones for sale on Amazon. I assume the company is gone now and these are close outs?

Uncle-A

Skier
This was a much better mouse trap. I still have one and use it every ski day.. but with a smaller cable. I leave it at the base with my yak trax hanging off the cable too while I ski.
1_ae982211c782f27e75ee142893c5e70f.jpg
Those loops may not fit all the wider skis of today. They do fit some of the narrow waist carving skis. The part for the poles maybe too tight to get the poles and skis.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Those loops may not fit all the wider skis of today. They do fit some of the narrow waist carving skis. The part for the poles maybe too tight to get the poles and skis.

Mind you a ski tote 2019 would be quite a size too.

To be honest I tie em up onto something as tight as I can with a recolier knock off and if someone can get them out o that they'll either look really suspicious carrying comedy type bolt cutters or they deserve 'em. Last pair of skis I had lifted was at Interski in PyeongChang, skis in a rack directly in front of the restaurant I was eating in. I bumped into 2 members of the Aussie team also walking round aimlessly as they looked for theirs....they weren't tied up tho.

James

Out There
Instructor
So you’re trying to put Texas out of business one Ski Tote at a time?