• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things Sohler

Sohler Skis

SKI Oct 1969 - Sohler - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

@Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@Dave Petersen, those are my old Black & White Slalom skis I had gotten used in the early 70's! (lower left pair)
Thanks so much for finding a picture :D
Do you have a higher res picture for me?

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a pair of Sohler Blue & Whites, back in the 70's. They were the stiffest ski I have ever skied on. Sohlers were quite popular in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec. I think the factory or warehouse was in Sherbrooke. A girl I knew had a pair of Bluebirds, her brother had a pair of Camaro's. I was envious of those.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Jan 1968 - Sohler - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

checkracer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not Stein, maybe Carlo Senoner, Italian who won the slalom at the Portillo World Championships.

The guy is neither Stein nor Senoner.

His name is Franz Vogler, born 1948, German architect.

Back in 1966 he was a good student of architecture and a promising young racer but not good enough to be sent to the distant Portillo destination.

His fans from the city of Oberstdorf collected (maybe what we now term as crowdfounding, maybe some wealthy sponsor) the money needed and somehow persuaded the German Federation to send him there at no costs for the federation budget. (While they nominated both the notoriously unsuccessful racer Heidi Mittermaier and her younger sister Rosi, only 16 during the Championships...)

The tall guy, third in the DH race, was celebrated as a future potential champion.

He was probably the last WCS male „amateur“ medalist ever. (Old Avery Brundage should have celebrated him!) The other at Portillo was probably „your“ Penny McCoy in her teenage years sponsored by her family...

Voglers great ski career never happened. He raced on without a podium placement till 1972. After the Sapporo Olympics he finally won a WC DH, then quit and had a „serious“ life as an architect.

Btw, Senoner was on Dynamics VR 17 at Sapporo. He was a young marvel at 16 but the older the less racing success he had. Injured after 1964 he was almost an outsider in Chile and definitely not a medal contender. He had his lucky moments there, he promptly quit and has been living on the Portillo fame since.

Btw2, the best SL skier there was a forgotten Swede Bengt-Eric Grahn. He won the first leg by 1.7 seconds, kept his lead in the 2nd but unfortunatelyy crashed not far from the finish.
(Another SL star was Billy Kidd, in January 1966 considered the best racer even by European journalists, but he unfortunatelty broke his leg in DH training at Portillo and could not participate.)

Anyone wonder Mr. Grahn living in a small place Tärnaby with 700 souls became a hero for local skiing kids including Ingemar Stenmark?

I understand „a Swede“ is active here (hi!), he might add more.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor