• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The S-7 and S-9 seem a cost cutting step backwards from the S4 binding.
I would certainly ski the S4 after a torque test. The S-7/S-9 have the old plastic issues
and I wouldn't trust them.

View attachment 106952
I agree, the S4 is the Pivot 15, 957R, Mojo 15 of Spademans.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I agree, the S4 is the Pivot 15, 957R, Mojo 15 of Spademans.
In all fairness, we never really got to find out how the later models fared in the wild. But I suspect Bill is right about the plastic failing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool Spademan sticker
97873EC5-B502-46FC-8786-53F05F7D32CE.jpeg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Zytel, what the last generations of Spademans’ were made out of, is a DuPont product that is glass filled nylon. It’s used extensively in the automotive industry for a variety of critical components including water pumps and has much to recommend it. It - a low coefficient of friction and is stable in cold temps, undoubtably important reasons why it was chosen. It is also available in strands for 3-D printing should anyone care to experiment. Most plastic degrades from cross-linking , essentially a degradation of the plastics molecular structure. The biggest culprit- UV exposure. Older plastics didn’t tolerate prolonged exposure to UV very well. Remember those dashboards in the 70’s-80’s that inevitably cracked within 3 years? You rarely see that in more modern cars.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Remember those dashboards in the 70’s-80’s that inevitably cracked within 3 years? You rarely see that in more modern cars.
Never mind the car dashboards how about the S 727 Heels that exploded.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Never mind the car dashboards how about the S 727 Heels that exploded.
And the Tyrolia lugs and Geze heels and Look Pivots and all the boots. Lets just say the plastics from that era were just not good.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
And the Tyrolia lugs and Geze heels and Look Pivots and all the boots. Lets just say the plastics from that era were just not good.
At least Tyrolia had a recall, if you had S 727's you were stuck like I was for a few pairs of the S 727's.

Sponsor

Staff online