• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pepper08

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Good afternoon,

New to this... was moving out yesterday and came across these ski's.

Was wondering if anyone had any information on them and what they're worth?

With been from the UK were not naturally snowy people
TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20230909_134831411.jpg
    PXL_20230909_134831411.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230909_134829005.jpg
    PXL_20230909_134829005.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230909_134823497.jpg
    PXL_20230909_134823497.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230909_134841002.jpg
    PXL_20230909_134841002.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 9

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good afternoon,

TIA
Welcome. I tis a Volkl RennTiger from hte mod 1970's. Unfortunately, they are not worth a lot. Old skis, for the most part are not worth the cost to ship them.

Sman

Skier
Screenshots first 13 of 25 pages
View attachment 192659
View attachment 192660
View attachment 192661
View attachment 192662

View attachment 192663
View attachment 192666
View attachment 192667
View attachment 192668
View attachment 192669
View attachment 192672
View attachment 192673
View attachment 192674
View attachment 192675

FYI
Frantz Volkl sold the family business in 1992 to its Swiss distribution partner, Gregor Furrer, who subsequently sold the brand and the factory to K2. Today [2014], the brands Völkl, K2, Marker, Coleman, Marmot Mountain and others belong to Jarden Corporation.
View attachment 192676

Sman

Skier
P-19 Vario is one of the nicest smoothest and livest Skis i had ever skied on.
Unfortunately at age 40 I lost my mind, showing off for my future wife,. I sailed off a large bump sailing over 300 ft. and dropped 80 ft. out of the sky onto bullet proof ice. Tore my ACL, PCL, Patella tendon, Medial and lateral ligaments plus 3/4 of the knee capsule.
5 hours in surgery and another 3 surgeries over the next 2 years to get my knee to work correctly...
We sent the pics to Mr. Volkl as the tail of my left ski, the first contact point hitting the ground, was broken at 90 degrees right behind the heel piece. It was the very thick top metal sheet which kept the tail of the ski attached to the front part. Mr. Volkl asked what happened to the Skier? It was the only VOLKL P19 Vario that was ever broken.

I had been skiing Volkl's for over 20 years at that point, and worked in many capacities with Volkl Canada...
Welcome. I tis a Volkl RennTiger from hte mod 1970's. Unfortunately, they are not worth a lot. Old skis, for the most part are not worth the cost to ship them.
This is not a Renn tiger.... It is a softer version of the Volkl Explosive. Note the bindings.. there is no way a real Skier, (as much as l loved Look Bindings) would have put a 1972 binding on a 1975 ski
During that era.... NOTHING matched the performance of VOLKL's

Sman

Skier
Good afternoon,

TIA
A real Bueats>>>
First time I saw this ski was from a lift as two really great skiers, were skiing down Jerry's run at Sunshine Village on a Weds. What was unique about the skis was the tips had a metal insert, and as the tips touched each other it sounded like fragile as glass. Later the RennTiger "R" had a rubber insert in the tips. The skis they were skiing on was next years production model.

The next day at our ski shop in Calgary AB. we to have a product knowledge meeting on Look Bindings. Who walked in with the Volkl RennTigers over their shoulders, just 2 of the best skiers in the world, John Even and Michal Daigle. They were the ones skiing down Jerry's run the day before. It was a Great PK and I understood why Salomon, 333, 444, 555's were leg breakers. As everyone who worked at the Ski and Sport house were really good skiers the night went very long into the evening. We hooked up wiht them the following Sunday at Sunshine and had a great day!

Sman

Skier
Hi, First post here! I am interested in getting any info I can (and hopefully pictures) on the Volkl Explosions made from ~1970 to `19734-? It was their top of the line ski at the time. Have'nt been able to dig much up. Thanks!
Not many people have heard of these skis.. From what I know they were first manufactured for the market in 1972 and were only available for that year, possibly available earlier.
yes there were a wet wrap ski (Torsion box wrapped construction) The core was VERY unique. Imagine a corrugated piece of fiber glass,. laid flat, with foam on the top and bottom of the fiberglass, this was shaped to become the core which the wet wrap was wound around. It was Mr. Volkl's idea to be able to change the flex of the ski by lengthening out the wave of the corrugation. Unfortunately virtually eliminating the nature neutral axis of the ski. This put undue pressure on the torsion box... and too many delaminated. This was a real rare occurrence for a Wet Wrapped ski. the idea was discontinued...
Unfortunately I NEVER got the opportunity to try out a pair. BUT even though I had already skied for 15 years... in Manitoba... I really did not have clue about real skiing out West in Canada. I hope this answered your question Dave C !

Sman

Skier
Farm fresh Explosion 210cm, faded from leaning on the fence on full sun!
View attachment 93981
Not many people have heard of these skis.. From what I know they were first manufactured for the market in 1972 and were only available for that year, possibly available earlier.
yes there were a wet wrap ski (Torsion box wrapped construction) The core was VERY unique. Imagine a corrugated piece of fiber glass,. laid flat, with foam on the top and bottom of the fiberglass, this was shaped to become the core which the wet wrap was wound around. It was Mr. Volkl's idea to be able to change the flex of the ski by lengthening out the wave of the corrugation. Unfortunately virtually eliminating the nature neutral axis of the ski. This put undue pressure on the torsion box... and too many delaminated. This was a real rare occurrence for a Wet Wrapped ski. the idea was discontinued...
Unfortunately I NEVER got the opportunity to try out a pair. BUT even though I had already skied for 15 years... in Manitoba... I really did not have clue about real skiing out West in Canada. I hope this answered your question Dave C !