• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rpk4dotcom

More Retro memories????
Skier
View attachment 45419
I just got these Competitions.
I've never heard of these.
I'm guessing Competition is the bump ski linup?

In 1983, Sking Magazine referred to the Competition series of Volkls as "less expensive" racing skis than their Weltcup series. I believe the Comp Pro was introduced in 1987 - fiberglass torsion box with wood core; a versatile high-performance ski, $321. Not absolute, but the graphic looks to be 1989-1990 season.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
FREEZE Nov 1997 - Volkl - Pugski - Petersen.jpg

Dave Collier

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, first post here! I am looking for any info and pictures I can get on the Volkl Explosion made from ~1970-1974. It was their top of the line ski at the time but can't find any inf so far! Thanks!

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Dave Petersen I have noticed a pair of 724 in the background of a couple of your pics. Do you still ski them? I skied them for a few years until that plate in the Salomon heel piece fractured, maybe the nimblest ski I have skied. Loved those skis. Couple of years later I found new bindings and replaced the heels but they did not feel as zippy as I remember maybe wore them out. Then I found a pair in nicer shape and put some Rossi 155 on them and will ski them this winter and see if the magic is still there.

IMG_0395.JPG

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dave Petersen I have noticed a pair of 724 in the background of a couple of your pics. Do you still ski them? I skied them for a few years until that plate in the Salomon heel piece fractured, maybe the nimblest ski I have skied. Loved those skis. Couple of years later I found new bindings and replaced the heels but they did not feel as zippy as I remember maybe wore them out. Then I found a pair in nicer shape and put some Rossi 155 on them and will ski them this winter and see if the magic is still there.

View attachment 57644

I had a lot of fun with them but for the past few years I have been on Head Supershapes which I love! The Volkls were bumped back to my "rock skis", or here in the Midwest, my "dirt skis".

Those ski topsheets are bulletproof. My bases are pretty gouged up, the bindings are scuffed, but the topsheets still look new.

My Volkls have Marker bindings which came on the skis -- bought them in Breck.

8713BAEE-6076-4273-B9A7-0B5B0B25B3AE.jpeg

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a lot of fun with them but for the past few years I have been on Head Supershapes which I love! The Volkls were bumped back to my "rock skis", or here in the Midwest, my "dirt skis".

Those ski topsheets are bulletproof. My bases are pretty gouged up, the bindings are scuffed, but the topsheets still look new.

My Volkls have Marker bindings which came on the skis -- bought them in Breck.

View attachment 57648

I have a pair with similar Markers that are in nicer shape yet but I did not like the height or the play in the bindings so I may yet cut the tracks off these and mount my new 912s on them.

IMG_0398.JPG

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, my bindings have a little too much play as well.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 75726

I believe this was the 25th anniversary of the Tiger graphic. Might be wrong?

Just to play with the semantics. I would call those the Zebra graphics, Zebra, Tiger different animals. Just looking back on these pages the earliest ad for the Zebra is 1969 so add 25 years is 1994. If the 1976 RennTiger poster is from its first year that could make the anniversary at 2001. Is it the anniversary of the graphics or Renn Tiger?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Wasn't there a Tiger Jr. Ski in the 1970's that was white background and orange stripe like the zebra? It was one of the better Jr skis of the day, even some petite women would ski that Jr. model.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Volkl did a whole series of skis in the early 70's using the Zebra stripe design. There was the Zebra, Tiger, Sapporo and probably more.
Depending on the color of your lenses, and self medication, they could be very trippy to look at on a chairlift (or so I was told).

I skied the Zebra GS Look Nevadas, was a very good ski.

Sponsor

Staff online