• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MarkM

Booting up
Skier
Got these last week at a yard sale for 5 bucks
Yamaha_ski_All_Round_iii.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got this in my shed. I mowed a lot of lawns back in the summer of 1974 to save up and buy one (1974 model). Rode the hell out of it, broke the frame twice. Luckily we had a top level pipefitter dad in the neighborhood who fixed all our bikes as fast as we could break them. Sold the bike to a friend around 1980 for skateboard gear money.

Saw this 75/76 resto model listed 5 years ago and snagged it. Rode it once, hit a couple little jumps to bottom it out, and hung it in the shed.

1664282854208.png

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier

Seller provided a link to Yamaha museum

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/innovation/collection/detail/0074/

1684291952778.png

With every part made by Yamaha, including the foot mold, YBX-480 boots were the first to feature a rear-entry configuration, and revolutionized the traditionally heavy, clumsy design of ski boots.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
I mentioned to a friend that i was looking for classic metal Look bindings, so he keeps an eye on the $5 ski barrels.
These Yamahas were in a recent score.

Any reason to try skiing them before eviscerating the bindings and committing the skis to a deck chair or fence build?

It seems kind of cool that such a higher end Look was applied to the (mid?) range ski?
OTOH the toes with the N17's on the Head 800s are a much earlier gen than the skis.
Maybe a transfer from earlier skis when the owner upgraded.
DSC_0043.JPG

Vintageski808

Old ski fanatic born too late
Skier
Yamaha all round in red

Attachments

• 9A00F67B-E4FE-48E5-BEFE-8C29C719E7A7.jpeg
    9A00F67B-E4FE-48E5-BEFE-8C29C719E7A7.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1

Clojacks

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone remember Yamaha Alpine poles from the late 70’s into the mid 80’s? I’ve got a pair of Yamaha R777’s that I bought in the early 80’s and pulled them out of my basement to use instead of my current LEKI’s a few days ago. First pair I bought, were from Sabatini’s in Aspen and they got stolen about a month after I got them home to Minnesota.

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes! I had a pair, purple? Awesome pole with great balance and swing weight. Also had the coolest "snowflake" basket. Now, did you have the Yamaha race skis to go with them?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are so many amazing products with the name Yamaha on them, pianos, guitars, amps, speakers, bikes, etc.. They should have acquired ID1 and tagged those as Yamahas too..

Clojacks

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes! I had a pair, purple? Awesome pole with great balance and swing weight. Also had the coolest "snowflake" basket. Now, did you have the Yamaha race skis to go with them?
Coolest part was the white grips. They had me at that....

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Be careful with the bindings, those heels are prone to explode

Well ... I bought these in 2019 and I was still skiing them yesterday !!
The bindings are not that bad , aren't they ?
I should have taken a picture , sadly I do not carry a camera with me or ( horror ) my cell phone ( that is always on my desk and does not go out of the house ) .
Really , these Yamaha are superb ...
A shame they are not made any more .
Today , I will use my Lamborghini ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The bindings are not that bad , aren't they ?
There are older bindings I will ski and some I will not get near mu boots, these are the latter. YMMV but it is not IF these heels explode, it is when.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know all about it , Phil , but I am willing to take a chance .
It is not a question of age ... a few years ago I was skiing a pair of Monsters with bindings on rails .
Never again as the heel on one ski decided it had enough and just pop-out .
I fell , had some scrapes and was black and blue a bit .

I supposed the difference of temperature between my house and the -28 on the slopes could have played a role .

No one goes out of here alive ... but , to be honest , I don't like pain ... but the fear of pain will not preclude my enjoyment of skiing .
A neighbor is driving an AMC Pacer during the summer ... you know how bad that car was ... he loves it !!!!!!
Now my Lamborghini and out to the tiny hill half an hour away .

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There was a pair of Yamaha poles on the Goodwill auction site last week. Wonder who went and grabbed them? Was tempted to share that here but didn't want to blow it up if someone here already had then in their sights.