• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This winter I have 6 tickets with the choice of either mountain.

Past visits to Lake Tahoe I have mostly skied Kirkwood. Two times I drove to Squaw to listen to bombs going off and them not being sure when the mountain would open. Both times drove over to Alpine and had a good time skiing, but parts of the mountain were closed and I could not see the mountain at all.

I plan to ski at both hills. My question is when and in what conditions would you choose one over the other. Storm day? Day after storm? Weekend? Weekday?

I like to hike because the effort usually reaps the reward. Tight and steep, powder and trees are all good. Groomers I find boring and moguls become tiresome.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
On a regular day- Squaw terrain is just a small notch higher. Storm day- probably still Squaw, Alpine has lots of bowls with poor visibility. Day after the storm- Alpine, powder at Squaw vanishes in 40 minutes, tops. Bulletproof day-Alpine, more groomer possibilities. Spring-both are awesome with a notch to Alpine because of Sherwood.

TS
L

Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Great answer.

Can you out of bounds connect and take a shuttle back?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was a way between the two. We thought about doing it just for fun but it involved a good hike and a fair time commitment. So we missed the small window to do it. Last year never got enough snow to open the connect. Hopefully next year there will be a gondola connect (next decade given the difficulty of getting permits for anything?).

Realistically, the bus works OK if you are just switching resorts once during the day. Only gave up on the transfer once due to crowds and once due to too long a bus wait. The bus is easier than parking at Alpine (I'm spoiled - we walk to Squaw's lifts). Alpine's a way better intermediate's resort so we do a lot of social skiing there.

Squaw is horribly crowded on a powder day - because it's that good. For 40 minutes. Then either enjoy fantastic soft bumps there or drive off to Northstar or Homewood for powder for the rest of the day. Your ticket might be good at Homewood on a limited basis - there is some ownership connection but I haven't checked pass cooperation. Homewood is worth it for the view (but N/A if it's snowing). I know my pass offered Sugar bowl days, certainly a worthy resort to taste but a hellish drive on powder days and still busy.

No matter what, you'll enjoy Squalpine.

Eric

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Bc connect: yes you can if it is open ( need snow). Be aware that once at Alpine you will have to make your way down some steep terrain (the Butress), which may not be so much fun on a bad snow day. Shuttle is faster than a Bc connector, you take the connector for exercise and adventure.

Sponsor

Staff online