• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alterra Mountain Company Announces Transformational Changes at Four Marquee Destinations

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
613E4A87-1F07-489A-96D8-5EC2B504830D.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading between the lines, the 2 mid stations could only be for one purpose and that is parking lots.
The mid stations will be for on and off loading. No parking. While mountains can be moved and flattened, it won't happen for this project.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The mid stations will be for on and off loading. No parking. While mountains can be moved and flattened, it won't happen for this project.
Yeah, from the map on post #78, it looks like the Squaw mid terminal off loads at elevation near the top of some lifts. The AM mid terminal shows a construction access road. IMO, they should put in a permanent access road and a parking lot or parking garage. I'm thinking something like Blackcomb's Excalibur Gondola that has mid terminal that services a parking lot that is accessed via a switchback road. The lot also serves as staff parking with staff housing nearby.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From liftblog.com

alternative4map.png
Poking around in Fatmap, it looks like the gondola midstation is on top of a knob but the new KT South chair (!!!) starts from a flat spot relatively near the road. Some interesting terrain on the backside of KT.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't understand what KT South is and whether it remains a figment of Alterra's/KSL's former dreams as they don't talk about it in the PR. Is it just the Whitewolf pylons which have never been activated? Or is there really going to be a lift there and if so why aren't Alterra crowing about it? I've seen pros with a snowcat having their own private terrain park/photoshoots there before.

@DanoT - the issue with the AM midstation is whether it is just a necessary angle station for regular ski guests (rather than a load/unload as it sits on the private property). Still never heard anything about ski access in the Whitewolf property. Someone closer to valley gossip than I must know something?

Edit: This is a usually credible local source on Whitewolf - still not clear the speed at which it is progressing - Is part of the deal that the AM midstation is exclusive to WW residents?

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Let's see...I found the following words in this press announcement so they must be paying their PR marketing people bigly:
Iconic
Curate
Ammenity-rich
Premiere Experience
Reimagined
Boutique
Unparalleled

Did I miss anything?

Well-analyzed...

I don’t think you missed any but I will add a few buzzwords for the next press release:
Bespoke
Private
Epic (ha, ha)
Streamlined
Magical
Wonderland
Pinnacle
Soaring
Height
Lofty
Sustainable
Green
Spruce
Towering

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I AM SUPER STOKED TO HEAR THAT THE GONDOLA CONNECTING ALPINE AND SQUAW IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!

Caps and bold! My real worry is that it won't get built. Lots of criticism here for something that skiers and Ikon passholders should unequivocally support. I don't know details for any of the other projects but they do all sound like improvements to those areas - wouldn't that be a good thing?

Gondola details: the Squaw mid station will serve the KT (Saddle side) terrain. Useful on those days when only the bottom of the mountain is open or as an alternate to Headwall and the top of the mountain in the morning rush up the hill. No new terrain but useful. The Alpine mid station might open up some fun terrain. I've done a couple hard (skier's) left traverses off Summit chair to some fun terrain. As long as the new mid station is not just a long right traverse only, it could be very fun. And chairs on "KT South" would be fun on some days.

I hope it happens. And I like my Ikon pass.

Eric

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well-analyzed...

I don’t think you missed any but I will add a few buzzwords for the next press release:
Bespoke
Private
Epic (ha, ha)
Streamlined
Magical
Wonderland
Pinnacle
Soaring
Height
Lofty
Sustainable
Green
Spruce
Towering
Love it. I think it would be creative and innovate to dispense with all this fluffy BS and just say what they mean and not oversell things and try to make them sound other-wordly...but then all these marketing mavens with fancy lexicons would less than fully employed.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's see...I found the following words in this press announcement so they must be paying their PR marketing people bigly:
Iconic
Curate
Ammenity-rich
Premiere Experience
Reimagined
Boutique
Unparalleled

Did I miss anything?
Well-analyzed...

Bespoke
Private
Epic (ha, ha)
Streamlined
Magical
Wonderland
Pinnacle
Soaring
Height
Lofty
Sustainable
Green
Spruce
Towering

Somewhere in there is the new name for Squaw.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Somewhere in there is the new name for Squaw.
Stain Valley - you heard it here first ;)

@Eleeski - I understand why you as a Oly Valley property owner/resident would unequivocally support but what if you are a Tahoe City resident who prefers AM for instance - what's in it for them beyond additional traffic at Summit chair etc? My measure of whether something is worthwhile is does it offer me something new or does it materially correct previous problems? I get it gives extra stormday redundancy up to the Saddle for Squawites but it still smacks more of looks impressive to tourists than a major step forward (admittedly I thought the same about the Peak 2 Peak in Whistler)

What's the local lowdown on the KT South stuff?

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Iconic
Curate
Ammenity-rich
Premiere Experience
Reimagined
Boutique
Unparalleled

Did I miss anything?
Well-analyzed...

Bespoke
Private
Epic (ha, ha)
Streamlined
Magical
Wonderland
Pinnacle
Soaring
Height
Lofty
Sustainable
Green
Spruce
Towering
Super and nuanced.

gary posekian

Booting up
Skier
What does Alterra do as far as managing their resorts that is superior to Vail in your view? I don't have a dog in this fight as far as who is better, just curious why you think that?
i live in mammoth and the lifties management of covid in lift lines has been stellar. i am unaware of alterra having to close any of their resorts due to covid outbreak as vail has closed whistler.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
i live in mammoth and the lifties management of covid in lift lines has been stellar. i am unaware of alterra having to close any of their resorts due to covid outbreak as vail has closed whistler.

Don't think Vail has closed Whistler - Provincial Public Health did. Different standards in a different country makes it a tough comparison and a poor knock against the Evil Empire. You might as well claim that Vail has managed Covid so well it has run infinitely more lifts than any resort in France.

Bob V

Booting up
Skier

Ontario Provincial Public Health did close Alterra's Blue Mountain resort.
But this was part of a provincial shutdown, not related to any specific outbreak at the resort, contrary to the Whistler situation (others ski resort in BC were not closed).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ontario Provincial Public Health did close Alterra's Blue Mountain resort.
But this was part of a provincial shutdown, not related to any specific outbreak at the resort, contrary to the Whistler situation (others ski resort in BC were not closed).
That is how I underestood it as well.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What does Alterra do as far as managing their resorts that is superior to Vail in your view? I don't have a dog in this fight as far as who is better, just curious why you think that?
Let's just say my experience of how VR has been operating Stevens Pass the past few years in contrast to my experience at Crystal (which is an Alterra -owned resort) has informed my view. Much more responsive to issues with lift lines, parking, reservations and in general in keeping terrain open and lifts running, and in general communicating what they are thinking and doing.

When I've travelled, I've been happier with the resorts using the Ikon pass the past year or two, more so than when I've used an Epic Pass at VR resorts. Yes, I've had both passes the same year.
I was coming here to share my experience but David summed it up pretty well.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Curious about this $31million digital pork contract. Money to track and sell data on paying guests. Wonder if mobile food ordering will be as good as Domino’s Pizza.
From a recent article talking about the importance of learning from this past year.

From Rusty Gregory
Katz’s Ikon rival, Rusty Gregory, CEO of Alterra Mountain Co., has also spoken about the future, saying he predicts “guests signing up for spots in a virtual queue for the gondola and being able to purchase goggles in the ski shop while awaiting their turn.” Alterra is committing $30-million to increase its digital offerings, allowing not just virtual lift lines but the ability to “hail” a ski instructor on-demand, as you would an Uber.

Sponsor

Staff online