• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I crazy for wanting a shell jacket without any insulation for northeast US skiing?

McSkiFace

Booting up
Skier
I'm looking at my first jacket purchase in over a decade.

I see all the rage now is shell jackets. I read a ton about not bothering with any kind of insulation and just use layers instead, that way you're comfortable with all those mild and warm weather days.

...but I ski almost exclusively in the US northeast and eastern canada. lol "warm weather days" what's that?

Is the northeast US / eastern Canada climate an exception to the shell rule that warrants looking at jackets with insulation?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
What is the fun of buying an insulated jacket when you could get a shell plus 20 assorted mid layers instead?

Seriously, the last time I wore an insulated jacket and was comfortable in it, was at Smuggs when it was 17 below. Other than that, proper layers provide much more comfort at the varying conditions we get.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another "shells are fine" vote.
NE weather varies a lot over the season. Heavy mid-layers in the winter; one wicking layer in the spring. Lots of flexibility.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You could use this HH jacket which is somewhat insulated and use layers too. :)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Agree with everyone else. I wear an uninsulated OR hard shell, a down midlayer and a merino base layer. Covers me down to very cold temps in the Northeast. If it's super cold I'll add a vest under the down.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another "shells are fine" vote.
NE weather varies a lot over the season. Heavy mid-layers in the winter; one wicking layer in the spring. Lots of flexibility.
It can vary that much in a weekend. :roflmao: To which I'll add to make sure it's waterproof for the NE.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
not to threadjack but i have as close to new Arc'teryx Sabre Ar listed in the classified for a great price. i love the shell's. wear a vest and a baselayer underneath and feel great.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My husband skis exclusively in a shell jacket and shell pants all season in New England. He has a Patagonia Nano, Nano vest, and a Nano Air to use as layer options under his shell, but doesn't require anything near what I do. The Nano Air for him is used only in extreme cold and he only wears a wool base layer under shell pants. I would be a popsicle wearing the same layers he does on any particular day.

I have shells and all the assorted mid layers, as well as insulated options, in both jackets and pants. There are days where no amount of layering under my shell will do - I have been known to wear my summit series 800 down under my down ski jacket and insulated CW-X under my insulated pants. He would be a puddle.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
A waterproof breathable shell makes a great raincoat in the non ski season.

I had a green shell and decided I really liked the look of the reddish/orangish one better, so the green one is now my non skiing jacket, and as you say raincoat if needed.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
About 90% of the days I ski in New England I don't ski with a shell at all, just a windproof puffy down jacket or a synthetic puffy jacket on warmer days (an puffy windproof vests as well)
When I use a shell, it's uninsulated, and goretex laden. And I patrol. I use the same when I travel out west and to Canada as well.

honestly, I don't know too many hardcore skiers who use an insulated shell at all....you'll notice most good companies' upper shelf shells are uninsulated (but waterproof and windproof), there's probably a reason for that.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
As others have said, I haven't worn an insulated jacket in probably 20 years. Shell jackets are simply far more versatile.

That said... you need at least two good layers. I have a "heavier" insulated piece for normal days and a fleece sweater for warmer days. Pair them up for brutal temps. And then you'll be on the hunt for the "right" layers, etc. So owning / using a shell can be more expensive, but on a warm-ish day, you'll be loving a shell.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Make sure you get a roomy shell if you expect to wear heaps of insulation underneath it. If it gets too tight you will lose insulation quality.
I basically only ski in shells with appropriate layering myself, but on cold days that's not enough for my wife, she often uses a down jacket for skiing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Handy to have places where it rains frequently.. Layers FTW for sure..

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I pretty much just wear my shell jacket and layer accordingly, I find this way more versatile. If it's in the low teens or colder then I wear my purple jacket that's a little more insulated and has a built in quilted layer for a little extra warmth. My shell was my first one I ever owned and I'm definitely a fan. I haven't gotten into shell pants yet as I like colorful, flowery, bold pants and haven't found shells that fit this bill yet.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And now for something completely different: I was a layering fiend up until about 5-6 years ago; it's really the only option if you're doing any serious hiking to ski. Now that I'm exclusively resorts, and able to pick exactly when I'll be skiing during the day and never exceed 3 hours/day, a properly ventable (this is the key) insulated jacket is heaven. Combine it with a single mid-weight base layer and I've been delightfully amazed at the wide range of conditions I'm comfortable in, and getting dressed is much easier and efficient (words I never imagined I'd be saying). In Tahoe, this works very well from season start until sometime in March, then it's layering with a shell until May (ish) when it's one light layer on top and bottom in the glorious sun.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Not at all. Dress like an onion...in layers.
Make sure you get a roomy shell if you expect to wear heaps of insulation underneath it. If it gets too tight you will lose insulation quality.....
This. I prefer shells and ski in NH. A light goose down "packable" jacket or vest under the shell can keep you very warm on frigid days. Or even both. I pull out the insulated heavy duty ski jackets when temps are single digits and below.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online