• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I crazy for wanting a shell jacket without any insulation for northeast US skiing?

TS
M

McSkiFace

Booting up
Skier
Kidding aside if its say below 15ºF or so I like an insulated jacket for the resort, specially if its windy.

This is almost all I know of New England ski days from January through mid March. 15ºF is even a high temperature for many of those days, especially factoring in the wind chill

Now I'm having regrets for pulling the trigger on a shell.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is almost all I know of New England ski days from January through mid March. 15ºF is even a high temperature for many of those days, especially factoring in the wind chill

don't regret it...layers > over insulation unless you don't care how many jackets you have. Layers offer better transfer of energy, mobility and heat. They stretch the dollar as well. Figure out layers instead of buying something you think will work for two months. The right shell can work almost all year. I have multiple jackets because I don't spend money on cocaine. But among my list, I have two shells that I can wear all year if I want.

If you figure out layers relative to body type you will never need an insulated jacket.

For example:

Shell - Goretex 2 or 3 with pit zips.
Patagonia Nano Air or Proton LT or Atom LT or similar breathable synthetic by OR or Mountain Hardwear
OR Puffy if super cold. (MH Ghostwhisperer is my favorite or Rab)
Then wool like 150-250+ Smartwool or Icebreakers underneath depending on thickness and mobility. OR Patagonia R-series

Every single piece can be sliced and diced all year long in any season. Your insulated jacket can not. But again, if you want multiple jackets, then do both.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well you need a shell as an everyday jacket and for hiking anyways. With the right layers either is fine.

I used to wear a shell but for cold days the insulated jacket is way warmer and just better. Thats why they have big jackets in Siberia and cold places. You can vent it when you are hot.

The perfect combo is one that allows you to lug your skis up a hill and then wait in a cold line and take a windy lift without getting sweaty or too cold. With lightweight helmets it seems to me the appropriate head warmth/ventilation is as important as anything else

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

You can make it work for sure and a shell is super versatile. You will get a lot of use out of it year around. BUT, you now have to really think about your baselayers and midlayers.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another minority opinion here (sort of). My last two jackets have been Columbia Interchange. Basically a shell with an included insulated mid layer the zips in or out. Has the advantages of both the insulated and shell options.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thats why they have big jackets in Siberia and cold places. You can vent it when you are hot.

I used to guide in Mongolia. Thought that my layers would be fine. Nope. Ended up purchasing a knee length coat that the locals wear. Weighs about 10 pounds.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to guide in Mongolia. Thought that my layers would be fine. Nope. Ended up purchasing a knee length coat that the locals wear. Weighs about 10 pounds.

My ski coat is a bit heavy and bulky too but those mid layers add up to.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 1st jacket was insulated and I was always too hot except on the coldest days. It didn’t take long to go to a shell and I never looked back. I’ve never had a ski day too cold for the shell with layering. Same with pants.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
As to the Michelin man comment, a ski coat looks much more that way to me than a shell with a down layer under it. People think I look thin and fit in my layers (I'm not thin. Maybe fit.)

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am a layer guy. Refuse to spend 600 plus for a shell like Arctyrex makes. Lands End Mariners coat. 100% waterproof and windproof. Reg price $150.00 got on sale for $54.00. Great shell (or you can buy with built in/out liner).

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Never skied the Northeast, but here in Montana I ski a shell jacket. Layer as needed. I shred shells in about 1-2 seasons of banging trees.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+76 in favor of a shell. I've used mine in Kapuskasing in February, and Miami in July. Can't beat it.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I was at Hunter yesterday when it climbed from high 20's to 47 in the afternoon. Not sure how people deal with that if all you have is an insulated jacket.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I was at Hunter yesterday when it climbed from high 20's to 47 in the afternoon. Not sure how people deal with that if all you have is an insulated jacket.

Pit zips and front zipper. Note that we're not talking big down puffies. My insulated jackets vary from 40g to 100g of Thinsulate. It's not a lot of insulation.

I'll be back in my shells and puffy mid-layer jackets for touring. So I'm glad I have them now that they actually are needed for the temp control required for touring.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I have an old shell in my car and at home. Shells arw still an essential garment, just not my everyday cold weather ski layer.

Sponsor

Staff online