• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I crazy for wanting a shell jacket without any insulation for northeast US skiing?

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
High end insulated jacket works for me in Vermont. Out there pretty much every day nowadays. I have shells, down, puffies, fleeces, vests etc., but for everyday Vermont skiing I need the full featured insulation + goretex jacket. When I go West or to Europe, even in January, I don’t bring the insulated jacket. Shell + layers. In Europe, you’re in trams and gondolas a lot of the time. Most Euro & western trips are from March onward, so no need for insulated jacket.

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
If you are person who "runs hot" then absolutely, a shell with layers may be sufficient for you. If you "run cold" then go with a lightly insulated jacket.
I run cold and a shell with any combination of layers in not enough for me in New England. Heck I wear a lightly insulated jackets and still put a down layer or a nano puff under it--sometimes both if it's really cold. So basically, know how your personal temperature runs.

Reactions: Ogg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
High end insulated jacket works for me in Vermont. Out there pretty much every day nowadays. I have shells, down, puffies, fleeces, vests etc., but for everyday Vermont skiing I need the full featured insulation + goretex jacket. When I go West or to Europe, even in January, I don’t bring the insulated jacket. Shell + layers. In Europe, you’re in trams and gondolas a lot of the time. Most Euro & western trips are from March onward, so no need for insulated jacket.

I’m surprised you go with a shell and layers in Europe mid season, given the large temperature differences from top to bottom on most days. Your layers must give good ventilation when you open up your pit and leg zips.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
That can be an issue if I get it wrong. Usually a base layer, mid layer, and shell. Mid layer varies from a thin fleece to a puffy based on my best guess, with a few variations in between. I tend to ski valley runs early when it’s cooler and stay on upper lifts the rest of the day. Always happy to download to avoid crowds, slush, drunks, and pulverized pistes at the end of the day.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve brought a thin insulated jacket to Europe everytime I’ve gone. I leave the exterior down puffy jacket to save space since it’s water and snow shedding isn’t good. I usually wear the jacket on the plane. There’s almost always a day when you want it. I recall a day in Chamonix where I put on everything I had, including a down light puffy underneath the insulated jacket, double thermal leg layers, and insulated pants. It was a really cold day, and being out in the Vallée Blanche for hours with no way to get warm calls for warm clothing. The hike out called for some shedding and unzipping.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
That can be an issue if I get it wrong. Usually a base layer, mid layer, and shell. Mid layer varies from a thin fleece to a puffy based on my best guess, with a few variations in between. I tend to ski valley runs early when it’s cooler and stay on upper lifts the rest of the day. Always happy to download to avoid crowds, slush, drunks, and pulverized pistes at the end of the day.

Ah, that makes sense.

A lot of the off-piste lines that I ski involve an exit onto pistes that head back down to the lower lifts, and I can also find myself going between sunny and shady areas as well as windy and protected areas a lot. So I often find myself going through nearly the full range of temperatures over and over on some mountains, depending on the layout and the conditions.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
When skiing off piste in Europe, and in particular when doing longer climbs to access the descents and long valley runouts, it's a game of moisture management for me. I wear as little as possible while climbing, bundle up for the ride down, and then strip down again near the bottom if there's a long slog out. Hard not to end up clammy for a good bit of the time.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I did a tour today, so I did the dance with separate layers. Of course I had a pack on since I was touring, so I had a place to shove the layers. The layers worked great, but I still prefer the simplicity of a grab and go ski jacket.

Sponsor

Staff online