• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I in the right boot?

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
How incorrect am I in suggesting that climate(temperature) should be a consideration when selecting boot stiffness? For example; I ski in temps primarily in the 28-32F range. I grew up in MN, and know for a fact that 28F is a heat-wave during the winter. I ski a Lange RX120 in the 28-32F climate. If I lived in MN, I'm pretty sure that I would be happier with the same boot in the 100 flex. Conversely if all I did was spring skiing, I would want the 130 flex boot. What I'm saying is, I notice significant variations in boot flex with temperature. Why isn't this something that we discuss when helping each other work through boot shopping strategies? Am I just WAY off here?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How incorrect am I in suggesting that climate(temperature) should be a consideration when selecting boot stiffness? For example; I ski in temps primarily in the 28-32F range. I grew up in MN, and know for a fact that 28F is a heat-wave during the winter. I ski a Lange RX120 in the 28-32F climate. If I lived in MN, I'm pretty sure that I would be happier with the same boot in the 100 flex. Conversely if all I did was spring skiing, I would want the 130 flex boot. What I'm saying is, I notice significant variations in boot flex with temperature. Why isn't this something that we discuss when helping each other work through boot shopping strategies? Am I just WAY off here?

You aren't way off and good for you for understanding that there is a concern about flex response in different outdoor temps. Note that not all plastics react similarly to changes in temp; some are less reactive to the changes than others. Research the differences between PU (polyurethane), Aramid, Grilamid, etc.

Not everyone will take the approach I have, but I change shells for major temp swings (cold, medium, hot). But I'm a quiver kind of guy and that extends to my boots too.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
First things first -- get a trim-to-fit in there ASAP. If you can, go to a store that sells a variety of options (even if that's not a ski shop but a running store, etc). Find the on that matches your arch height and length as best you can and buy that. Use the stock sock liner in your boot to trim it accurately.
This was my thought as well. I wouldn't expect success with ANY boot/skate/cycling shoe using the stock insole. I also wouldn't be surprised if a nice($50-ish) Sidas winter insole resolves 80% of your issues.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
You aren't way off and good for you for understanding that there is a concern about flex response in different outdoor temps. Note that not all plastics react similarly to changes in temp; some are less reactive to the changes than others. Research the differences between PU (polyurethane), Aramid, Grilamid, etc.

Not everyone will take the approach I have, but I change shells for major temp swings (cold, medium, hot). But I'm a quiver kind of guy and that extends to my boots too.
OK. Thank you.

TS
P

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I am a bit confused. A 140 boot on a 14 years old GS ski in a 165? :huh:
Your right I am skiing on a brand new 2007 GS ski with new boots.

I bought the boots to last me a long time, I bought the skis because they were inexpensive and they were better then the 195 Kastle's that I bought in 1988. I will upgrade my skis later on but for now I have what I have. Like someone else said you date your skis and marry your boots. Thanks for the information regarding the Vac in possibly fixing a few things. I will still go see someone and get their opinion. Maybe the honeymoon is over on the boots and I need to find a new bride.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Your right I am skiing on a brand new 2007 GS ski with new boots.

I bought the boots to last me a long time, I bought the skis because they were inexpensive and they were better then the 195 Kästle's that I bought in 1988. I will upgrade my skis later on but for now I have what I have. Like someone else said you date your skis and marry your boots. Thanks for the information regarding the Vac in possibly fixing a few things. I will still go see someone and get their opinion. Maybe the honeymoon is over on the boots and I need to find a new bride.

165 cm?

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
As previously mentioned, you live close to Pierce Skate & Ski, they're in Bloomington. They definitely have a Fischer vacuum machine. They also have one of the best boot fitters in the country, Dave Hinz. This time of year it may be hard to get an appointment with Dave. Tyler Pierce or Ed Atwood are also very good.
I don't think their custom footbeds would cost $200 but it's been a while since I've had them done at Pierce. Also, if you buy boots from Pierce the fitting is included in the cost of the boot regardless of how much work is needed; even a year later.
Another option in the Twin Cities is Hi-Tempo in White Bear Lake. The owner, Brad Nelson, is a certified Pedorthist, a certified maker of custom orthotics. So is his daughter. If you need custom orthotics this is the place. They also do a great job of boot fitting but may charge for modifications.
Fischer has an interesting phone app for boot fitting, Fischer ScanFit. It uses your phone camera to do a 3D image of your foot to get the proper measurements. Try this app to see if it matches the dimensions you have measured. It gives you Length, Ball width, Instep height, Navicular height, and Heel width. Pierce has an in-store machine that does this too.
Good luck with your boot fit.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
An assessment by a good boot fitter need not end in a recommendation for an expensive custom footbed and custom liner, nor a lot of work; it will if you need it ,and it won't if you don't. It will end with you making an informed choice of your options.
Just say'n.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

We don't actually know OP's size - they might be as slight as an Under-14 racer. Not likely, but conceivable.

OP is only just starting their modern ski shape journey; I expect they'll update the skis soon enough. The only question is - which binding is on there and is it set properly?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We don't actually know OP's size - they might be as slight as an Under-14 racer. Not likely, but conceivable.

OP is only just starting their modern ski shape journey; I expect they'll update the skis soon enough. The only question is - which binding is on there and is it set properly?

Yeah, a 55 yr old (post #1) passing for a U14 in a 140 boot. That will work.

A GS11 - in an adult size would most likely a pair of Neox. I had a pair of GS11 prior to the Metrons. Was much longer than a 165. Had a pair of Atomic SL10 in 165. A pair of SL9 in 170. A 165 GS11... :huh:
Are the Neox still indemnified?

You know, for an Asian I still suck in this math thing. This s*** ain't adding up.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

A GS11 - in an adult size would most likely a pair of Neox. I had a pair of GS11 prior to the Metrons. Was much longer than a 165. Had a pair of Atomic SL10 in 165. A pair of SL9 in 170. A 165 GS11... :huh:
Are the Neox still indemnified?

You know, for an Asian I still suck in this math thing. This s*** ain't adding up.

yes, GS11 in 165 was a junior ski. No idea what binding would be on it, most of the GS11s had the old race binding, 614 (which break) or 1018. dont think I ever saw a Neox on a GS11, maybe on a LT11 . No idea what binding/plate would be on the junior ski,

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

We both know that it won't work as designed. But it's in the realm of things we need to let OP discover on their own, or with an instructor.

Given some of the other (scary) bindings that could be on there, it would be good to know that they are at least Neox.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, GS11 in 165 was a junior ski. No idea what binding would be on it, most of the GS11s had the old race binding, 614 (which break) or 1018. dont think I ever saw a Neox on a GS11, maybe on a LT11 . No idea what binding/plate would be on the junior ski,

You are right. The 9/11 series had the 614. The Neox came on the scene with the 10/12 series.

We both know that it won't work as designed. But it's in the realm of things we need to let OP discover on their own, or with an instructor.

Given some of the other (scary) bindings that could be on there, it would be good to know that they are at least Neox.

we need to let OP discover on their own - It's gonna be a long journey.

or with an instructor - Good luck with that. Where I come from, we call that BLB*.

FWIW, I have gone through 3 pairs of Fischer vac boot. I have found the boot to ski well only after a vac molding with decent pressure.

* BLB - Blind leading the blind.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Find the on that matches your arch height and length as best you can and buy that. .

While the "tough love" of go see a bootfitter (paying close to MSRP... )

To clarify, fit the arch, THEN trim to fit the length of the foot using the stock bed as a guide. If I had a dollar for every incorrect 'purchased at the drugstore/running shop trim to fit I've see...

And very few shops sell at MSRP, including those that do proper fitting.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
or with an instructor - Good luck with that.

* BLB - Blind leading the blind.

Especially those guys at Taos...

:roflmao:

(That's a joke for anyone who's wondering.)

Sponsor

Staff online