• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

am I over thinking it?

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really abbreviated backstory, used to ski a lot for a midwest guy I think. 4-5 days a week all season long for a number of years. by 5 years after college that was down to 4-5 times a season and the past 7 years with kids, lucky to go once until this year started taking my oldest out. Well needless to say my equipment was used up long ago, i've just been renting when we go since I blew my old Tecnicas out years ago and never skied enough to justify new boots. well I couldn't justify them to my wife anyway, I can justify spending money on anything at any time so it's a good thing she's around to keep me halfway sane. I'm aware skis have changed some from my salomon 9100 equipes.

Anyway, i've been talking with a store near me, they seem to have a good reputation around here for boot fittings etc. I'm pretty much leaving the boots/bindings up to them to recommend what I need and get me fitted. Trying to narrow down skis, especially reading on here is making me feel like I need 6 or 7 different models LOL. But alas, I used to ski everything on those Salomons in the midwest and out west, well probably not the 3 feet of powder days but if it was tree skiing in a snow storm in Steamboat Springs or on the ice at Mt. La Crosse in WI they were on my feet and I was having fun. Do I really need to be so discerning when picking out some skis?

I'm mid 40's and in pretty decent shape. 5'11 195lbs. Ski style? I approach skiing like life I guess, I kind of like it all. In the midwest with short runs, I guess more turns equals more fun for me but i do like making some long arcing turns and just hold it with good speed. Most of our skiing is all groomed trails with some ice. I'd say my level was at least solidly "advanced" but not expert. Never really skied bumps really smoothly due to not really ever having any to ski on except on trips out west. I can definitely navigate them and hit a few smoothly, but lots of starts and stops for me to "re-adjust" things and line them up again.

So just looking for some recommendations from skiers. The more "ski selectors" I do, I think the more confused I get. I guess I've been mostly looking at Head and Salomon because that's what I have used before and just seeing the names brings back memories. Been looking at Atomics as well. A good friend passed away last year, and that's what he skied. Wouldn't mind bringing back a few memories of him either every time I clicked in. I figure between those 3 someone makes a ski for me. Budget wise? if I can spend 400 i'm happy, and if I have to spend 1200 to get what I want I'm just as happy.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I've been mostly looking at Head and Salomon because that's what I have used before and just seeing the names brings back memories. Been looking at Atomics as well. A good friend passed away last year, and that's what he skied.
Lots to unpack here and I won't attempt it. I will say that all the major brands make a full line of good skis, so if you want to go with one for sentimental reasons, that's fine; it's not going to limit you that much.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If I understand your post, you skied the S 9100 Equips all over and enjoyed them. That should tell you that the ski is less important. When purchasing equipment the boot fit is the most important, the bindings for safety is the second and the ski is the last. Having said that, you said you looked at Head and Salomon, both make fine skis. I am using Head skis now that are so much fun to ski. They make the Super Shape line of skis and the Titan is something you will really enjoy skiing. It is definitely something for you to look at and maybe demo. Good luck.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Agree, boots first. There are so many great skis out there that your key should be deciding what kind of ski you want, not what brand.

Short turn, narrow waist, carver, mid width waist, all mountain, slarver. etc.

Demoing will help you figure that part out nicely, than look for deals.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, yes, you are over thinking it. If the various ski selectors are confusing you, demoing will be even worse. Going from a 50m ski (S9100) to a 13m ski (Supershape) will frustrate you. Most any higher performance ski from most any brand with a low to mid 80's waist and a turn radius in the 15-17m range with minimal rocker will give you the performance for what you are looking for.

TS
wiread

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree, boots first. There are so many great skis out there that your key should be deciding what kind of ski you want, not what brand.

I agree, type is more important, I figure most brands make a ski for me I just have been looking to those 3 because they have meaning to me is all. Boots and bindings i have no preference for any reason to a specific kind other than it's the "right" set up and am leaving that to the pro's to help fit me.

i was getting confused with all the turn radius, waist widths, power, weight etc. Man, Last time I went and got skis they basically asked me how much I liked to turn, said try these and off I went :)

I agree, yes, you are over thinking it. If the various ski selectors are confusing you, demoing will be even worse. Going from a 50m ski (S9100) to a 13m ski (Supershape) will frustrate you. Most any higher performance ski from most any brand with a low to mid 80's waist and a turn radius in the 15-17m range with minimal rocker will give you the performance for what you are looking for.

Thank you for that. so just so I can make sure i'm on the right page, something like the Head V-shape V10 might fit me more than a Kore 93, though both would probably be acceptable?

or the Salomon Stance 90 or S/Force 11's are types I should be looking at?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for that. so just so I can make sure i'm on the right page, something like the Head V-shape V10 might fit me more than a Kore 93, though both would probably be acceptable?

or the Salomon Stance 90 or S/Force 11's are types I should be looking at?
More Kore 87 than Kore 93 and V-10 has a ton of shape. If you could find a leftover Monster 83, that would be my Head of choice. S/Force 11 would be money.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do I really need to be so discerning when picking out some skis?

You don't have enough data to be discerning. Put another way, the moment you discern, you're over-interpreting the limited amount of data you have.

something like the Head V-shape V10 might fit me more than a Kore 93, though both would probably be acceptable?

Yes.

(My instinct here would be to put you on the V10 or Kore 87 as a MidWest and occasional lesson ski for you; there's not enough float in a Kore 93 for Steamboat for someone your size anyway. But I have never seen you ski.)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I would think a bit about where you want to be skiing for the next 5 years or so. That will drive a majority of your decision making. If you see 5-7 days of Western skiing each year and the balance at your local hill that is enough to justify getting a good, well fitting pair of boots, an everyday western ski (95-105mm) and a narrow waisted carving ski. Lots of good deals over at Phil's Garage Sale for the skis. But really your boots are job one.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@wiread

So ski at Nordic on Wed night and give me a heads up. I can have a few different skis that might make you smile or frown. :) I can get you a ticket too. Just don't come when single digits. I tend to be grumpy and stay inside.

James

Out There
Instructor
Buy a couple used skis. There’s a bunch that show up here. I’ve had skis on here for $125 that are vastly superior to the Solly 9100.

TS
wiread

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Buy a couple used skis. There’s a bunch that show up here. I’ve had skis on here for $125 that are vastly superior to the Solly 9100.
hey, those were the best skis I ever owned :)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In line with, "you marry your boots and date your skis". Find some good used Rosi Exp 70-84 widths and call it a day or Atomic Vantage X. Once you get back to skiing more, your skill and rhythm will change. Then you can purchase some newer skis. Inventory is very low on used and new skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
hey, those were the best skis I ever owned :)
I had the 9100 1S and yes, that ski was indeed a great ski in it's day especially when set up with the 997E Suspension binding...but I would sooner ski on a $299 package ski from today than that ski/

TS
wiread

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so i'm probably not going to get the "vintage" pricing on my old skis if I try and sell them to cover the cost of my new ones you're telling me?

I was going to use them to make a kick sled if I can't :)

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier

This