• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

am I over thinking it?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't shop for boots. Shop for a bootfitter. A good fitter will look at your feet for length, width, height, flexibility, ankle & lower leg length & size, and pick the boots for you. The fitter will (should) ask how you want to ski when you're back up to speed, not how you ski now. An excellent boot can come from any boot brand, but some might offer you a better fit.

All the binding brands are very good; there are four big binding makers with multiple brand labels. They don't need to match the ski brand, but often they're sold together with skis. New skis will be much shorter than what you used to ski for your height, weight, and ability. Don't buy too long--too long by modern standards, not by your old standards--they'll be too stiff and hinder your advancement. This tells you what skis will probably work well for you: Ski selector

Pick the type of ski that will be best for wherever you will ski the most. If you can find a pair of good used demo skis from a shop at the end of the season, and they're just right for you, they're probably a bargain. If you're out west and there's a big powder dump, rent skis.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some advice, boots and binding over all haven’t changed that much, fit, retention and release are what matter. Skis on the other hand have, so you are in for little learning curve to make modern skis perform. Technique is similar for the most part, timing has changed (just enough to mess you up) and skis will actually carve if you let them. Final warning sitting back on modern skis is BAD, torn ACL bad, don’t even think about it.

BTW mix and match of bindings and skis doesn’t happen like it used too, like ski A it goes with binding brand A usually (there are some exceptions).

One other thing beginner and intermediate skis will quickly limit your progression, look at intermediate/advanced or advanced skis, don’t go to soft on boots (below 100 stiffness, 130 at the upper end, brand and model specific as a rule) as with higher end skis you want to ensure input matches what the ski expects.

Finally if you skied well and aggressive, you’ll likely find the more GS’ish skis a little more to your liking and find the transition a little easier, ski old school, adapt to new school.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some advice, boots and binding over all haven’t changed that much, fit, retention and release are what matter. Skis on the other hand have, so you are in for little learning curve to make modern skis perform. Technique is similar for the most part, timing has changed (just enough to mess you up) and skis will actually carve if you let them. Final warning sitting back on modern skis is BAD, torn ACL bad, don’t even think about it.

BTW mix and match of bindings and skis doesn’t happen like it used too, like ski A it goes with binding brand A usually (there are some exceptions).
I don't think this is really true. They tend to package things together more than they used to but there's not much other than brake width to stop you from putting whatever bindings you want on flat skis. I also didn't personally find there was the big adjustment everyone talks about when switching to modern skis from something a couple decades old a few seasons ago.YMMV.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think this is really true. They tend to package things together more than they used to but there's not much other than brake width to stop you from putting whatever bindings you want on flat skis. I also didn't personally find there was the big adjustment everyone talks about when switching to modern skis from something a couple decades old a few seasons ago.YMMV.
I did it about 10 years ago, which is why I made the comments I did.

As to bindings and ski, depend if they have a plate.

checksix68

Booting up
Skier
If you're going to stick to home base in the mid-west, I would suggest 72 to 88 under foot. Brand in this day and age doesn't really matter. Having a decent all mountain ski would be right up your alley. Keep the length between the tip of your chin and the top of your head. Up to 88 will give you a good base of support and a little float if you venture out west occasionally. If you don't plan on going out there, stay in the 70's under foot for a sportier ski which will be more at home in our icy hard pack conditions. Just my humble opinion... best wishes!!!

TS
wiread

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I may likely be waiting until fall to gear up again. Everybody has pretty low inventory. Haven't been able to find the right fit yet. Checking on a couple places within 1.5 or 4 hour drive for each to see what they have left and see if a trip over is worth it now or just wait until everyone gets new boots back in stock this fall.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My rule of thumb for ski boot fit...if they're comfy in the shop, they're too big. A fitter can make them a bit bigger but not smaller. Shell fit--remove the liner, put your stocking foot in. You want 1/2" to 5/8" space behind your heel when your toes lightly touch the end. You want 2 - 3 mm of space on the sides when you pull back the lower flaps of the boot. Expect to return to the fitter to get adjustments...loosen the tight spots & tighten the loose spots. The September sales are a good time to buy boots. The shops have last year's left overs at a good price plus new stock. They have a high likelyhood of a boot that will fit you well. Prices are OK, 'cuz the shop needs cash to pay for their new stock.

Your liners will mold to your feet. That will help the final fit, or make them too big. Don't buy boots that are too big.

Check https://www.powder7.com/ for good used demo skis at fair prices.

TS
wiread

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I made the trip over to Pierce Skate and Ski in Bloomington,MN and it was completely worth it. It’s a 4.5 hour trip from my house. They were recommended by a member here (Dwight) and I’m glad I went. Completely different experience than anywhere else I’ve been.

Anybody in the Midwest looking for a boot fitting make some time and take the trip. I ended up getting some Nordica Speed Machine boots and was really between the Volkl Kendo88’s and they recommended the Dynastar M pro84’s and they came with the Tyrolia Attack13 bindings.

he said the Kendo’s would have been more for me, but if I’m chasing small kids around most of the time the Dynastars fit that bill better. And, that’s what I’ll be doing. A couple years from now I can get more ski.

I can’t wait to get out on them, but overall I was extremely happy with the fitting and buying experience.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I made the trip over to Pierce Skate and Ski in Bloomington,MN and it was completely worth it. It’s a 4.5 hour trip from my house. They were recommended by a member here (Dwight) and I’m glad I went. Completely different experience than anywhere else I’ve been.

Anybody in the Midwest looking for a boot fitting make some time and take the trip. I ended up getting some Nordica Speed Machine boots and was really between the Völkl Kendo88’s and they recommended the Dynastar M pro84’s and they came with the Tyrolia Attack13 bindings.

he said the Kendo’s would have been more for me, but if I’m chasing small kids around most of the time the Dynastars fit that bill better. And, that’s what I’ll be doing. A couple years from now I can get more ski.

I can’t wait to get out on them, but overall I was extremely happy with the fitting and buying experience.
:golfclap:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Anybody in the Midwest looking for a boot fitting make some time and take the trip. I ended up getting some Nordica Speed Machine boots and was really between the Völkl Kendo88’s and they recommended the Dynastar M pro84’s and they came with the Tyrolia Attack13 bindings.

The M-Pro is a really fun ski and great choice. Now, don't try to ski them like you did you 9100's, you will wonder what all the fuss is with these new paramabolic skis. These skis expect two footed skiing. @LiquidFeet @Mike King @4ster might be better at giving you some drills to adjust to the new technology. If you have been skiing that 9100 for this long , you know how to ski, not it is jsut a matter of retraining your muscles. Trust me once the light bulb goes off, it will be like Dorothy going from B&W to color and you will wonder why did I wait so long.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I came back to alpine skiing after a 12 year hiatus. I have Dynastar Speedzone 12 TI's in a 174cm length. As Philpug has mentioned, you will be able to ski the newer shape ski easily. But a few modifications to your skiing style will benefit you.
Take a look at some Tom Gellie and Deb Armstrong youtube videos. They gave me some helpful pointers that have really improved my skiing in just a few short days.
I demoed a pair of all mountain skis yesterday at MT Spokane and found that they carved just as well as the Speedzones at moderate speed. Abit of trouble it seems getting them up on edge but they were 91 underfoot iso my skis at 72 :)
Welcome back to the sport!

Attachments

• 20210219_133014.jpg
    20210219_133014.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Congrats. Glad it worked out well. I can probably hook you up with a few skiers that can give you tips too. Nordic was record sales again today a busy. Though the sun felt great.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I agree, type is more important, I figure most brands make a ski for me I just have been looking to those 3 because they have meaning to me is all. Boots and bindings i have no preference for any reason to a specific kind other than it's the "right" set up and am leaving that to the pro's to help fit me.

i was getting confused with all the turn radius, waist widths, power, weight etc. Man, Last time I went and got skis they basically asked me how much I liked to turn, said try these and off I went :)

Thank you for that. so just so I can make sure i'm on the right page, something like the Head V-shape V10 might fit me more than a Kore 93, though both would probably be acceptable?

or the Salomon Stance 90 or S/Force 11's are types I should be looking at?

Depends where are you going to be skiing the most. Boots are the foundation so those are key. At your size / weight I would look into stiffer skis in the right side of the power spectrum (using pugski ski selector)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you're all sorted, rad!
But someone should have warned you; most of us here overthink most things when it comes to skiing :geek::duck:.
I didn't know I didn't know until I knew!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January