• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I way overthinking turn radius?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
" The rider turns the skis, not the other way around." Au contraire. It depends on the skier's style. When the skis are on edge carving trenches, they're turning the skier.

Cooper, why wide carving skis when you're off piste reluctantly? Or, are you considering the 78 mm waist of a Laser AX 175 to be a wide carver? Of which I recommend very highly. I also highly recommend the Atomic Redster G9, 68 mm waist & 18.4 M radius. Pretty much ignore blather about rocker for carvers. There's more rocker in the marketing VP's description of the skis than in the engineering VP's skis that get sent to production.

TS
C

cooper8168

Booting up
Skier
" The rider turns the skis, not the other way around." Au contraire. It depends on the skier's style. When the skis are on edge carving trenches, they're turning the skier.

Cooper, why wide carving skis when you're off piste reluctantly? Or, are you considering the 78 mm waist of a Laser AX 175 to be a wide carver? Of which I recommend very highly. I also highly recommend the Atomic Redster G9, 68 mm waist & 18.4 M radius. Pretty much ignore blather about rocker for carvers. There's more rocker in the marketing VP's description of the skis than in the engineering VP's skis that get sent to production.

I may have misused the word "carving" when I mentioned it in my first post. I don't think I really "carve" in the sense that I always leave ice-skate razor-thin arcs behind me (though it might help if I skied with an instructor at some point to be sure). I feel like I'm a little more of a steered or skidded-turn skier - somewhere in between that and carving anyway. Anyway, the shortest radius I'm looking at now is 18.4 (most are 19+), and only one ski on my updated list is wider than 70mm.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I may have misused the word "carving" when I mentioned it in my first post. I don't really "carve" in the sense that I always leave ice-skate razor-thin arcs behind me. I guess I'm a little more of a steered or skidded-turn skier.
Yes.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I may have misused the word "carving" when I mentioned it in my first post. I don't think I really "carve" in the sense that I always leave ice-skate razor-thin arcs behind me. I feel like I'm a little more of a steered or skidded-turn skier.

A ski's turn radius relates strongly to the carved turns that you are not sure you are making. If you're not sure, then you probably aren't making them. Carved turns (on firm snow) feel decidedly different from skidded turns, and an adult learning to make those carved turns needs to work hard at the different turn mechanics to get them to work. Turn radius has a greater impact on carved turns on hard snow than on other turns. Someone upthread said it would be a better idea for manufacturers to label their skis not with a number for turn radius, but with "short" "medium' and "long" since most turns are not carved. That makes good sense.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Realskiers.com just came out with a glowing review of the new Head Worldcup Rebels e-Speed Pro. The 175 has a 68 mm waist and 16.9 M radius; the 180 has 18M. This line of skis has a constant waist and varies the radius as the length changes. Other lines keep the radius constant and change the waist, or change both as the length changes. All the Head e-Something or other skis are getting very good reviews around the world. https://www.head.com/en_US/worldcup-rebels-e-speed-pro-24.html

A couple of years ago, skiing in Austria with friends, one fellow, a confirmed intermediate skidder, rented Atomic Redster G9s and loved them. I was surprised; I'd never have suggested them to him. I skied the G9s on man made snow, very firm with occasional piles of fluff, and they were smooth and steady everywhere carving like a sharp knife. Can't go wrong with this one.

Two advantages of narrow waisted skis are quicker edge-to-edge movements and less strain on the knees to hold the skis on edge. "Journal of Sports Science & Medicine"

LF said, "Carved turns (on firm snow) feel decidedly different from skidded turns...." and they sound different. If you can hear the skis scrape on the firm snow, you aren't carving. I know, I'm exaggerating, but not much. One tip to make carved turns...have patience. Roll the skis on to the new edges and wait for the turn to come to you.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't think I really "carve" in the sense that I always leave ice-skate razor-thin arcs behind me (though it might help if I skied with an instructor at some point to be sure).

The evidence is written in the snow. No need for an instructor to confirm. Just walk back along your tracks (assuming it is safe to do so). If there's not two well defined lines in the snow then it wasn't carved turns.

There's examples in this vid - eg the tracks left by the turns beginning 1:06.

And defined tracks or not this guy has an excellent instructional vid (Piste to Peak Vol 3) on carving.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Realskiers.com just came out with a glowing review of the new Head Worldcup Rebels e-Speed Pro. The 175 has a 68 mm waist and 16.9 M radius; the 180 has 18M. This line of skis has a constant waist and varies the radius as the length changes. Other lines keep the radius constant and change the waist, or change both as the length changes. All the Head e-Something or other skis are getting very good reviews around the world. https://www.head.com/en_US/worldcup-rebels-e-speed-pro-24.html

A couple of years ago, skiing in Austria with friends, one fellow, a confirmed intermediate skidder, rented Atomic Redster G9s and loved them. I was surprised; I'd never have suggested them to him. I skied the G9s on man made snow, very firm with occasional piles of fluff, and they were smooth and steady everywhere carving like a sharp knife. Can't go wrong with this one.

Two advantages of narrow waisted skis are quicker edge-to-edge movements and less strain on the knees to hold the skis on edge. "Journal of Sports Science & Medicine"

LF said, "Carved turns (on firm snow) feel decidedly different from skidded turns...." and they sound different. If you can hear the skis scrape on the firm snow, you aren't carving. I know, I'm exaggerating, but not much. One tip to make carved turns...have patience. Roll the skis on to the new edges and wait for the turn to come to you.
Uhm...this Head Worldcup Rebel eSpeed Pro that we gave a Tester's Choice award to? Also, do not dismiss the Fischer RC4 World Cup CT