• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

American Media, Inc shutting down Transworld Snowboarding

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We also get Ski Magazine from our season passes. I wonder if regular people even subscribe or if their really just dependent on the resort pass sales? But don’t buy any print magazines, I get a few on the iPad.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny - I just searched the forums for 'best ski magazine' and landed here. I'm actually interested in a couple subscriptions. Sounds like POWDER and THE SKI JOURNAL are pretty much it for good print ski journals? Anyone take BACKCOUNTRY? Recommend it? Like their site but could also be just a marketing front.

There's nothing quite like holding it in your hand - screens just don't convey and aren't as good for reading, IMHO. I took THE SURFERS' JOURNAL for years - great stuff, unique stories, amazing photography . . .

I love Backcountry magazine. If you are just getting into BC skiing it’s a really good one to subscribe to.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I get SKI because I have an Epic pass, I believe. I don't even crack it open but Marty enjoys criticizing the content.

I used to get Skiing History but have transferred my membership to my brother; he reads it cover to cover. I would skim and say 'I'll read the in a little while' but never get to it.

Almost all my reading, novels in the action and detection genres, is done digitally now. I get my 'books' from the library's affiliated digital provider: Marmot Library Network.
Libraries can be a great resource for digital content.

Everski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Pass Pulled
Most magazines (also the ones in Europe) have more advertising and publi reports, so they become obsolete by the lack of good articles

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
EAB676FD-208B-4D89-BD98-A35294BF3E2B.png

I was reading this thread and then this pops up on my Instagram. Besides them watching me, how could any print mag survive on $7 a year anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 80029
I was reading this thread and then this pops up on my Instagram. Besides them watching me, how could any print mag survive on $7 a year anyway...
At this point, they are down to 4 issues a year and from what I hear the future does not look good for the print issues.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 80029
And really, are you getting more information from Ski Magazine than you are on Pugski?
Not that I want to see the ski magazines go away but we have so much information at our fingertips year round.

James

Out There
Instructor
Besides them watching me, how could any print mag survive on $7 a year anyway...
They can't. Ads. It's a death spiral though when subscriptions go down.
These days I have almost no interest in reading yet another article they write. At one time their content was good.
Used to be what, $1.99/10 issues?