• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

American Media, Inc shutting down Transworld Snowboarding

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After American Media, Inc acquired fourteen media outlets including big names like Bike, Powder, and several Transworld titles under TEN (The Enthusiast Network), they have shut down many of the print publications, leaving the digital media in tact, however Transworld Snowboarding has been shut down entirely as of March 6th.

This begs the question; who's next? With big names that we read and talk about like Powder, how will this impact Pugski members?
@Philpug asked the question: Is Print Dead? Has the Time for Magazine Tests Passed?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've certainly noticed that my issues of Bike Magazine are getting thinner and thinner.

A wonderful publication, with a great history. I've still got the first issue somewhere!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think print is dead. I used to love magazines. I don’t remember the last time I looked at one. The internet has everything you need.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even newspapers..we were at a hotel and noticed a USAToday on the counter, I grab the sports section and it was literally 6 pages...do the math. One double page and once insert page.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think print is dead. I used to love magazines. I don’t remember the last time I looked at one. The internet has everything you need.

Even newspapers..we were at a hotel and noticed a USAToday on the counter, I grab the sports section and it was literally 6 pages...do the math. One double page and once insert page.

Sad, but probably true....

Says the guy who still buys and reads hard cover books!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
TransWorld Skateboarding also got cut last month. They just sent all subscribers that they're getting Men's Health instead for the remaining issues owed. Didn't figure that some of their subscribers are WOMEN! Magazines are collectible. Skateboarder mags from the 70s are going for $10-$75 each depending on condition and who's featured.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sad but true the print media is on it's final legs/gasps. I still get SKI and Powder and like reading both. Powder is my favorite with some great articles. Will be a sad day when late August comes and there is no Powder in my Mailbox.

James

Out There
Instructor
Skiing Mag was shut down over a year ago.

Right, it was Ski. Possibly 15-20 yrs ago I knew the difference. Here, the Oct 2018 issue. I looked at it as much as I looked at your calendar photo of May for Abasin.
IMG_6091.JPG

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not all print media is struggling, though in general terms the ongoing weakness in print advertising appears to be only partially offset by operating efficiencies and growth in the digital business.

The NY Times for example has been growing sales at around 5% a year for 4-5 years now and is very much profitable. Of course, that has been largely fueled by the growth in digital. I believe that their most recent quarter saw digital advertising revenues representing 54% of total advertising, surpassing print advertising revenues for the first time.

For now Powder, Ski, Freeskier and Ski Journal are still printing. Keeping fingers crossed.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
What sad news....an indelible part of my skiing love affair, particularly when I was younger, has been poring endlessly over ski magazines, staring in wonder at the new gear, awe-inspiring tech, skiing heroes of the day, shots of (what at the time was) unattainable North American pow, exotic locations. Even now I love picking up old mag's, whether it's at home or at friends or at the ski club and closely perusing the details of stuff that is years old!

At least I've still got NatGeo, Evo, The Economist and Outside to keep me going.

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
I love getting ski magazines....just for the stoke it inspires. I flip through old issues all the time, all year.

I really miss SKIING magazine. That was my favorite. Mainstream but also anti-mainstream at same time. Just worked the balance really well.

POWDER has beautiful photos. FREESKIER has been hit and miss with me, but I'm considering subscribing for next year.

I only subscribe to SKI magazine and THE SKI JOURNAL now. SKI magazine is basically just gear and resort propaganda. 100% unfiltered. Hilarious they even stopped ranking resorts and the new resort issue was such a cop out. But alas, it still gets me excited to ski when I get first issue sometime in August.....Though I've considered dropping them as of late as the material somehow continues to get even weaker and weaker. Next year may be the last, and not because I don't like magazines, because for casual reading I really do...but more because SKI magazine unoriginality is hard to even fathom.

Started the THE SKI JOURNAL this year and have really liked it so far, though it is very sporadic.

Dear SKI magazine,

Please get a spine and print some actual opinions and ski journalism.

Love,

Lake n Ski

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Funny - I just searched the forums for 'best ski magazine' and landed here. I'm actually interested in a couple subscriptions. Sounds like POWDER and THE SKI JOURNAL are pretty much it for good print ski journals? Anyone take BACKCOUNTRY? Recommend it? Like their site but could also be just a marketing front.

There's nothing quite like holding it in your hand - screens just don't convey and aren't as good for reading, IMHO. I took THE SURFERS' JOURNAL for years - great stuff, unique stories, amazing photography . . .

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The company I work for was a major player in the paper and print industry for many many years. The entire industry is in the tank. Our paper/print department went from being huge to 25% of the size it used to be.

Magazines have been hit harder than almost anything (newspapers as well obviously)

The one paper industry that hasn't been hit that bad surprisingly is promotional mailing. Junk mail is still big business.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I get SKI because I have an Epic pass, I believe. I don't even crack it open but Marty enjoys criticizing the content.

I used to get Skiing History but have transferred my membership to my brother; he reads it cover to cover. I would skim and say 'I'll read the in a little while' but never get to it.

Almost all my reading, novels in the action and detection genres, is done digitally now. I get my 'books' from the library's affiliated digital provider: Marmot Library Network.

James

Out There
Instructor
Funny - I just searched the forums for 'best ski magazine' and landed here. I'm actually interested in a couple subscriptions. Sounds like POWDER and THE SKI JOURNAL are pretty much it for good print ski journals? Anyone take BACKCOUNTRY? Recommend it? Like their site but could also be just a marketing front.

There's nothing quite like holding it in your hand - screens just don't convey and aren't as good for reading, IMHO. I took THE SURFERS' JOURNAL for years - great stuff, unique stories, amazing photography . . .
There's Freeskier. 4x/year plus buyers guide.
IMG_6131.jpg

@Marcus Caston on 210 straight skis.

https://freeskier.com/subscribe

Sponsor