• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

An Excellent, Fact Based Article on Supply Chain Issues

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting. A bit dry, but worth the read.

From @cantunamunch along the same lines:

I'm not a video guy, but this one is worth the time (at 1.5X of course).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very interesting. A bit dry, but worth the read.

There's been some good news recently - for cars and ebikes and power tools anyway:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I found that chart regarding containers arriving on-time very interesting since Ive been trying to source a couple 40’ containers for a project the past couple months. Suppliers are telling me no idea on eta and/or price, but plan on waiting a while and paying alot more than previously.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Felt like my chain was slipping so went into LBS who advised it may or may not be chain stretch and, if not, I might need a new cassette. Was told I'd have to wait until late September for new chain, and up to 2 years for new cassette! Campy Super Record components might have something to do with it, but still ........

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Felt like my chain was slipping so went into LBS who advised it may or may not be chain stretch and, if not, I might need a new cassette. Was told I'd have to wait until late September for new chain, and up to 2 years for new cassette! Campy Super Record components might have something to do with it, but still ........
The unfortunate thing is it could be both. Usually you find the cassette wear when you install a new chain. You can see the hooks sometimes. Often it's only 1 or 2 cogs. You may be able to get by with just scavenging those individual cogs. Depending on your group you may be able to swap them individually. I would suck up your Super Record preference and get whatever you can swap...

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
All but 1 of my bikes in the garage WERE made in the US: Trek, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Calfee, Waterford. But I can't be sure all of those are still made in the US any more.:huh:

Clearly, Schwinn "succeeded" in ridding off all their US based manufacturing. Possibly some of the others did too?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Clearly, Schwinn "succeeded" in ridding off all their US based manufacturing. Possibly some of the others did too?

Schwinn hasn't been in the actual Schwinn family since 1992, when they declared bankruptcy and were acquired by Dorel Industries under their Pacific Cycle wing. Their domestic downfall was sticking to old-school manufacturing techniques (their factory was over 80 years old and had tooling that was almost as old) which put them at a competitive disadvantage to brands building their bikes at more modern factories in Asia - whether the R&D was in the U.S. and the manufacture in Asia, or brands simply imported and re-branded bikes from a larger manufacturer like Giant (a factory Schwinn used in the years immediately prior to their bankruptcy).

Schwinn also had labor troubles that forced their line workers to unionize under the auspices of the United Auto Workers. All 1,400 of their factory workers walked out on strike in late 1980 to fight for higher pay, and when Schwinn settled the dispute they hired back a little more than half of their workforce.

Fun fact: Schwinn's first foreign sourced bike frames were built by Panasonic in Japan, and those frames were very high quality for the price. Panasonic-built Paramount frames command a high price on the used market.

Pacific Cycle has a lot of brands under its auspices in addition to Schwinn, including Cannondale and GT on the higher end, and Murray and Roadmaster on the low end, as well as other bike and component brands. Since Dorel's acquisition of the Schwinn brand all of the manufacture of their bicycles has been sent to China and Taiwan, their focus being on sales in big box stores and bargain-level bicycles rather than anything high end save for occasional runs of their Paramount frames.

Under Dorel/Pacific all of Cannondale's manufacturing has moved to Asia, though their R&D is still in the U.S.

FWIW: the Schwinn family still builds bicycles under the Gunnar and Waterford brands. These bikes are built in the U.S.

In the end it became too expensive to manufacture affordable bicycles in the U.S. - and it still is. Thus why most U.S. manufactured frames are in the high-end and custom range. Gunnar and Waterford frames aren't cheap but are wonderful bicycles. Other U.S. manufacturers make similarly lovely frames, from carbon (e.g Calfee, Alchemy), steel (in addition to Gunnar and Waterford, lump in Independent Fabrications, Breadwinner, Richard Sachs, Vanilla/Speedwagen, K. Bedford, among others), and titanium (Moots, Bingham Built, Firefly, Mosaic, Seven, Lynskey, among others). Most of these frames cost a minimum of $2,000 and average between $3,000 and $5,000. They're investments.

And yes, there are investment frames and bikes from the big manufacturers who do their thing in Asia. And if the bike sparks joy and does what it needs to, there's zero shame in that.

Sincerely,

A guy who rides a bespoke U.S.-built ti bike, a mass-produced Chinese carbon bike, and three Taiwan-built bikes - and loves them all.

Last edited: