• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

An Excellent, Fact Based Article on Supply Chain Issues

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The custom/ high end bike business is (was?) doing well
In the U.S. but like everyone else, they are having trouble sourcing components. I’m thinking Richard Sachs and the like and Waterford who have a higher , semi custom output.
This however is generally a “ boutique “ builders market here due to the skill /time and high labor costs. I think Ben Serotta is getting back in after selling the business a few years back.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Devinci Bikes are mostly made in Canada if you're on a NA kick. They are a true mass builder. They were looking for workers recently and I was contemplating life in Saugenay. :) However.. If you're looking, consider supporting my Quebec peeps. Vive la Belle Province!!!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Felt like my chain was slipping so went into LBS who advised it may or may not be chain stretch and, if not, I might need a new cassette. Was told I'd have to wait until late September for new chain, and up to 2 years for new cassette! Campy Super Record components might have something to do with it, but still ........
Friends in Bologna told me that the Campy factory nearby was shut down for over a year... that coupled with trouble getting raw materials spells for a long delay. Lamborghini ( also nearby) was running a skeleton crew and had enough carbon fiber to produce chassis components. There production is extremely high tech and the technicians wear clean suits and respirators already so it wasn’t that different than usual. Still, they had the same chip issues as everyone else.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Friends in Bologna told me that the Campy factory nearby was shut down for over a year... that coupled with trouble getting raw materials spells for a long delay. Lamborghini ( also nearby) was running a skeleton crew and had enough carbon fiber to produce chassis components. There production is extremely high tech and the technicians wear clean suits and respirators already so it wasn’t that different than usual. Still, they had the same chip issues as everyone else.

Based on everything that I am hearing from my former sourcing colleagues, raw materials seem to be the driver of scarcities. The component factories have not been able to get raw materials, so they have shuttered and let staff go. One wonders what that start-up process will look like? New staff will have to be totally retrained. Estimates, right now, are that scarcities will exist until 2024.

What I don't know, is what is driving the root cause of materials shortages? Lack of staff on that end? COVID restrictions in manufacturing environments?

I have stacks of excess bikes and components. Usually I sell for cheap to our junior racing community. I am hording for the foreseeable future.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on everything that I am hearing from my former sourcing colleagues, raw materials seem to be the driver of scarcities. The component factories have not been able to get raw materials, so they have shuttered and let staff go. One wonders what that start-up process will look like? New staff will have to be totally retrained. Estimates, right now, are that scarcities will exist until 2024.

What I don't know, is what is driving the root cause of materials shortages? Lack of staff on that end? COVID restrictions in manufacturing environments?

I have stacks of excess bikes and components. Usually I sell for cheap to our junior racing community. I am hording for the foreseeable future.
I don’t think it the labor retention/training will be as difficult as it would be here- EU has better unemployment benefits so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the skilled employees returned. It might have been worse 30 years ago when Campy had some of the finest machinists on the planet making those beautiful C record era components. Carbon fiber parts require skill to manufacture but not at the same level.