• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anatomy of a Ski Test

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No image people. in post 1 and post 14? or just one? Are you seeing anything where the images should be, like that blue square with the ? it? or [image]? Can you post a screen shot please.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Screenshot post 1. Same result post 14 before photos were inserted.
image.jpeg

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
No image people. in post 1 and post 14? or just one? Are you seeing anything where the images should be, like that blue square with the ? it? or [image]? Can you post a screen shot please.

I don't see them in your post, but do in SBrown's post now.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Part 3: The Conclusion

After we get out on the skis, how do we compile the information? First of all, we do compare some notes at the debriefing … over a plethora of different brown and clear liquids. Did anything stand out? Were there any -- no offense, Ziggy -- dogs? Was there universal appreciation of what the ski was expected to do, or did it just completely miss the mark? How do we want to categorize the information? By brand? By category? By power or finesse? Is there really one way to do this? I honestly don’t think so.

img_8268-jpg.3815

During the next couple of weeks, the community will be introduced to the new 2017 offerings. We will start off with the skis we tested at Copper, then add more results from our recent demos at Mt. Rose and Mammoth and eventually Arapahoe Basin in the spring. The early reviews will just be thumbnails and layman’s overviews; in fall, expect to see more extensive comparisons and compilations.

Between all of our testers, we got about 20 skier days; with each tester averaging 10 skis a day, that is more than 200 skis, a number that will grow once we hit A-Basin in spring. Some skis were tested by more than one skier, and many were tested in multiple sizes. Speaking of sizing, now more than ever, there is not really a sizing structure. Some manufacturers are selling skis by turn shape and not just length.

Our team will continue to bring you information on a more modern platform, by using the interactive reviews you have come to expect. To reiterate what we professed in The Unbiased Biased Review, it does not matter if we liked a ski or not; we are here to help you figure out which ski is best for you.

@FairToMiddlin summed up the whole lot of skis in one word: obtainable. Everything you are looking for in a new ski -- versatility, power, ease, name-your-preferred-attribute -- is just more obtainable. The difference between power and finesse is blurred more now than ever. Yes, there are fewer and fewer wrong skis on the wall, but there is also more to choose from in the sense of feel, flex, and performance. This can actually make it even tougher for you to pick out the perfect ski -- but never fear, we are here to help!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought I would bump this for some of the new folks.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So here's the odd thing. I can say pretty much without exception that the skis over the past 5 seasons that I've really bonded with and thought were great skis didn't always blow me away in the first 'demo' time phase. The best took me a full day or two to really figure out and dial in. Going to a GS ski is so different than an all mountain that you really MUST have some time and patience to get the most out of them. Speaking only for myself, the 85-90 has become the new 98-100. The message for me is try not to be seduced, and give those 'hmmmm... I can't figure out if I like these or not' skis some extra leash.

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Damn, got the Pugski email and wound up here. Now I'm jonesing for snow. Looking out the window at sunshine hoping to get out and finish a new route before the skis come out. time...tic tock.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn, got the Pugski email and wound up here. Now I'm jonesing for snow. Looking out the window at sunshine hoping to get out and finish a new route before the skis come out. time...tic tock.
Credit...blame..it is a fine line.

Sponsor

Staff online