• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And Canyon Aeroad Handlebar Stop-Use Order..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Close one. MVP is the bomb!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Multi-piece handlebars.... not saying that was the cause of this but that's something I have hard time getting behind. I understand why Canyon is using them, but every joint/intersection on a bike can become a source of a creak/leak/corrosion/break. I think about it from the repair side of a regular rider with these bars, 3-4 years down the road....

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm inclined to agree Chris. Not saying well engineered stuff can't work but.. Usually stuff gets cheaped out and ends up being crap.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
Apparently Canyon swaps out the normal lever clamps for their own design. the normal shimano/sram ones have cutouts to let them conform to the curve of the bars when they are tightened. The canyon ones aren't cutout

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Apparently Canyon swaps out the normal lever clamps for their own design. the normal shimano/sram ones have cutouts to let them conform to the curve of the bars when they are tightened. The canyon ones aren't cutout

Really? I didn't know they were swapping the clamps. Wonder why?

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, interesting.
How much weight does this system save over an alloy bar setup?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wow, interesting.
How much weight does this system save over an alloy bar setup?

Eh not much.

The widest Canyon H16 + V15 stem = 280g + 148g = 448g for Alu.

Don't have weights for the Aeroad but the
The Carbon H36 Aerocockpit with integral stem and bars is 400g.
The Carbon H31 Ergocockpit with integral stem and bars is 285g

A bigger selling point is the ability to run all the cables and housings inside the bar.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean if money is no object.. people pay $10k for a bike for goodness sake! Needs vs wants .

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Multi-piece handlebars.... but every joint/intersection on a bike can become a source of a creak/leak/corrosion/break.

Amen. I've got enough pivoting things that can creak on my mtb. Bought a rigid fat bike this winter. It has been fun NOT chasing the occasional creak. Lube chain, check nuts and bolts, ride 10 hours in silence, repeat.

There will never be a road bike with multi-piece handlebars in my (embarrassingly large) quiver.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
The way I understand it is the multi-piece bar is for shipping and consumer assembly. Im no expert on Canyons, but I think that was their reasoning. Walmart road bikes(Schwinn maybe??) had a multi-piece handlebar years ago too with grip shift! I think they eventually scrapped it.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
We have had no problem with herself's multipiece stems (TranzX type).

Good to hear. Like most things there aren’t always, but no way id recommend a adjustable stem for anyone besides a ‘cruiser/townie’ bike.

Giant used an adjustable stem on some of their road bikes years ago, what a nightmare. I cashed in atleast $75 in scrap value at the scrap yard of stems we swapped out for folks. Creaky creaky creaky.....

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January