• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And, now, something rather fast.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It wasn't all that long ago when 500 HP was a lot and only the most exotic or highly modified vehicles reached that level. Today can bolt on a supercharger on a new Mustang and make 1000HP without hardly breaking a sweat. We certainly are living in remarkable times.
What’s even more remarkable is most of those gains are from increasingly sophisticated engine management and not any major mechanical advances.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
What’s even more remarkable is most of those gains are from increasingly sophisticated engine management and not any major mechanical advances.

Yes, drive by wire, in other words taking the human out of the loop, makes many things possible. Floor the accelerator pedal tells the car computer to 'do whatever you need to do to maximize useful power output to the wheels.'

Reactions: Ogg

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the most remarkable part about the electronics is that you can have a 1000 HP car that you can not only drive on the street once in a while but even drive every day if you want. 20 years ago if you had a car that makes that kind of power it probably burned race fuel, had a rough idle, required constant maintenance, etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s nothing yet that says it isn’t true. People are too obsessed with videos. I don’t know why anyone would take a video as proof of speed.
Do the salt flats use cockpit video for speed verification? No.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
People are too obsessed with absolute speed. All my track bikes either had the speedometer taped over or removed. I guess if all you care about is top speed?? I don't get it personally..

James

Out There
Instructor
People are too obsessed with absolute speed. All my track bikes either had the speedometer taped over or removed. I guess if all you care about is top speed?? I don't get it personally..
Yeah especially when the professional driver was basically terrified by getting blown off the road by sidewind.

Heh, remember these?-
59D9D008-75F1-49CE-A32E-8D7E81FEE80B.jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes. The old first-gear speedometer. The needle would not go past the peg at around 85 mph. My brother had one in one of his play cars. It was designed to discourage folk from driving fast; it didn't work. I drove a GMC Sprint with highway gears and one of these (no peg) for a while.
1604097501853.png

How fast is "N" in mph?