• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
So, any inside intel?

Hmmm, not really. They took their time in deciding whether or not to purchase, they did their due diligence over the entire winter, probably wanted to see if we would be profitable during a COVID season (which we were, very!). Andy told us at the start of the season that we were under offer but wouldn't tell us about who the buyers were as they wanted to remain anonymous. These people were frequent visitors in prior seasons and were regular visitors this past season. That's about all I know..... not very exciting!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We drove around there last weekend. I was amazed at how much has changed.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
@Mattadvproject Thanks for sharing this video

No worries Tricia. Yes, exciting times at the Ranch, things are changing. I'm very excited for all the new snowmaking they've been putting in. That means most of East Mtn is now covered and that will allow for better, early season conditions. After last season's slow start where we were skiing on a minimal base with plenty of rocks sticking out, this will be a welcome change. Last season we only had the double chair open with 2 really short runs at the start of the season for instructor training; this year we should have more options.

The other exciting change that I know of that isn't talked about in the video and is easily viewable if you are at the resort, is the change to West Mtn, with snowmaking on a couple of runs there and then the realignment of the lower part of Desperado. The large compression at the bottom of Desperado has been flattened out and now you have a FIS sanctioned slalom run on it and there will be lights on it for racing and training at night. Off the skier's right side of Desperado there will be a mogul course set up with manufactured bumps. Expect some announcements soon about some high-level events being run at Granby Ranch this winter.

All in all, I think the slogan "Granby Ranch Rising" carries some weight. Things are a changin' here at the Ranch!

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
A new video from Granby Ranch was released today and it highlights the new $4m in upgrades to the snowmaking system on East and West Mountain. We also have the exciting announcement of the Pro Ski Tour hosting a stop at GR in December (Ted Ligety should be competing) and then the US Freestyle Team training here before heading to the Olympics. There's some pretty cool things happening at GR this season. Check out the video for more information -

Hoping for some new snow this week! Fingers crossed.....

- Matt

James

Out There
Instructor
Is the snow making system an autonatic type or requires workers to operate?

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Is the snow making system an autonatic type or requires workers to operate?
I believe it's automated. There's some new tower fan guns and they are pretty self-sufficient and then mobile fan guns which need to be placed. Snowmaking was cranking out today.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
No worries Tricia. Yes, exciting times at the Ranch, things are changing. I'm very excited for all the new snowmaking they've been putting in. That means most of East Mtn is now covered and that will allow for better, early season conditions. After last season's slow start where we were skiing on a minimal base with plenty of rocks sticking out, this will be a welcome change. Last season we only had the double chair open with 2 really short runs at the start of the season for instructor training; this year we should have more options.

The other exciting change that I know of that isn't talked about in the video and is easily viewable if you are at the resort, is the change to West Mtn, with snowmaking on a couple of runs there and then the realignment of the lower part of Desperado. The large compression at the bottom of Desperado has been flattened out and now you have a FIS sanctioned slalom run on it and there will be lights on it for racing and training at night. Off the skier's right side of Desperado there will be a mogul course set up with manufactured bumps. Expect some announcements soon about some high-level events being run at Granby Ranch this winter.

All in all, I think the slogan "Granby Ranch Rising" carries some weight. Things are a changin' here at the Ranch!
Been shopping the Ranch for a couple years and really like what I see. Your timing was impeccable as the prices did go bonkers during the 'pandemic. Hopefully things will cool just a tad.

Skiing wise we went a spent a weekend there last season and had a fun time. They seemed to have more snow the year before when we visited but there was decent coverage. Biggest regret was that I didn't have my eastern boards as the surface was firm by western standards.

IMG_2062.JPG

East Mountain from West. As I get older I worry a little more on the lifts. West Mountain chair goes pretty high with no bar an that had me gripping the chair back pretty tightly on the way up lol.

This was a really fun run with good sun and decent bumps to rip

IMG_2050.JPG
Think its called Dragon Lady.

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG
Anything with Glade in the name is going to be checked out by me. This run called Deans Glade was entertaining.

IMG_2059.JPG

The quoted poster (Matt?) mentioned Desperado. Really missed my RTM 84's (my eastern skis) on this one. I think you can see the berm he was talking about in his post. Of course last year was the "pandemic" and all the assorted "precautions". Really kind of killed après ski, but 2 years ago we stopped by the Ranch after a day at "Winter Bark" (if you hang out in the Challanger parking lot you know why I call it that). A couple of drinks at this place and some nice conversation made for a really fun time. Hope its open this year. (name has to do with the elevation there but I don't remember the figure)
IMG_1090.JPG

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Wow, big news. The Ranch is really getting going.

Agreed @James big things are happening. I think they got their latest marketing slogan right when it says "Granby Ranch Rising." Tomorrow (27th Jan) the US Freestyle team is supposed to arrive for bump training before the Olympics. That would be great to see. We've been getting dumped on recently. 11 inches on Christmas Eve and then more in the last few days..... here's some recent shots from Chrimbo Eve:

269857024_10159385903886690_7297675145561440606_n.jpg

269911455_10159385903866690_7792169438545570974_n.jpg

269930003_10159385903871690_7576553248253644092_n.jpg

270010063_10159385903896690_2170835813603422258_n.jpg

- Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Noticed East Mountain is pretty much full on. What's going on with the west side

Not sure, haven't been to the Ranch in a couple of days. I was last there on the 24th and it (West) was looking like it was filling in nicely. I'm waiting on the results of a COVID test right now, so can't get back till Wednesday at the earliest. I did read today on the GR Facebook page that due to COVID, we are having to cancel the New Years Eve celebrations and now the US Freestyle team will not be coming to train at the Ranch. That's a bummer.... understand their decision though.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The bar was shaped like a giant "G".

I'm wondering if, when season pass sales resume, if they will finally resume the reciprocal agreements with other resorts on limited acceptance of each other's passes. That came to an end when all the ownership turmoil began, and has not been re-established so far.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The bar was shaped like a giant "G".

I'm wondering if, when season pass sales resume, if they will finally resume the reciprocal agreements with other resorts on limited acceptance of each other's passes. That came to an end when all the ownership turmoil began, and has not been re-established so far.
Started looking at the Ranch in 2018-19 when things were rough in the ownership department. Have visited 2 weekends at the resort the over the last 2 seasons and the new management seemed solid. The crowds were good and not overwhelming at the same time. Kids all over the place and a healthy contingent of Kansas people (ton of Jayhawk stuff) spring breaking there on my last visit. 2 seasons ago of course had the restrictions but last year things were more open and the place I thought the resort exhibited a healthy vibe. They had one of their Saturday Night sessions when we were there and the Bar at the lodge had a good crowd.

I do hope they get some of the reciprocal agreements going with the seasons pass again. Certainly plans in the future include an Ikon for WP/MJ, Steamboat, A Basin and Copper, all with in an easy drive from the Ranch. At the least get a Colorado Gems Card for places like Loveland, Cooper and Monarch. Have family connections in the Salt Lake area so anywhere between Denver and SLC will be explored.

Sponsor

Staff online