• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ankle flexion

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
the girl at 4:12 mentions it...

my favorite on fore/aft is River Radamus dissing all coaches that talk about "get to the front of the skis" or "flex ankles" at 3:08 below... that guy is one smart cookie, has probably one of the best mental models for tech skiing I've seen in a while... and he can crank some wicked turns :golfclap:

It's like he can't stop talking about pulling the skis back :rolleyes:

Good to see you posting A-man, it's been a while!

:toast
I wasn't commenting on the concept of pulling the feet back, no problem with that at all! I was just saying the 2nd dude in the video didn't mention it. But what I find way more interesting and I have been saying this with a lot of push back. River says he starts from the bottom up .....from his BIG TOE!!! Turn starts with new OUTSIDE ski not THE INSIDE SKI. ;)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
But what I find way more interesting and I have been saying this with a lot of push back. River says he starts from the bottom up .....from his BIG TOE!!! Turn starts with new OUTSIDE ski not THE INSIDE SKI. ;)
I picked up on that too. In reality I'm sure he's tipping both at the same time but thinks about that big toe. As long as the cue doesn't conflict with the correct movement it's all good - especially at his level.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I picked up on that too. In reality I'm sure he's tipping both at the same time but thinks about that big toe. As long as the cue doesn't conflict with the correct movement it's all good - especially at his level.
Might be tipping together but engaging is different story. I submit, you get up on the little toe edge of the old inside ski early (before fall line) and roll that ski to the big toe edge first and then add inside ski progressively as needed. Starting/initiating with the Inside ski first usually creates diverging skis. Additionally, if you are using inclination at the top of the turn (as you should; most get to much angulation and hip too early ) starting the turn with the inside ski will cause you to lean in and hit the deck. Shiffrin practices this very move in the Get Over it Drill, I have also shown examples of Ligety!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Might be tipping together but engaging is different story. I submit, you get up on the little toe edge of the old inside ski early (before fall line) and roll that ski to the big toe edge first and then add inside ski progressively as needed. Starting/initiating with the Inside ski first usually creates diverging skis. Additionally, if you are using inclination at the top of the turn (as you should; most get to much angulation and hip too early ) starting the turn with the inside ski will cause you to lean in and hit the deck. Shiffrin practices this very move in the Get Over it Drill, I have also shown examples of Ligety!
Couldn't agree more. Just wondering who is advocating starting the turn with the inside ski? Other than a drill.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It gets muddled. People talk incessantly about pinky toes and toes and feet in general and about lightening the inside ski. It’s like the processor is connect to the drive; even more muddled.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here is just one post!
Start the turn with the inside ski and finish with the outside ski.

Lay'n trenches
Like Quote Reply
Select for moderation Report
Reactions:UGASkiDawg And this guy gave it a thumbs up....lots more too!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
and Oh boy.......MOre, these are just a couple I found randomly....many more

trange....are we are talking about the opposite skis? I do not worry about the old inside ski / new DH at all. Not one bit. I worry about the NEW inside ski and tilting/inclining it to start the turn. As soon as my skis come under me and go flat, I start thinking about inclining/tipping the new inside ski. The only way I can do this is ankle dorsiflex a bit, and feel the right side of inside foot on the boot footbed. This is consistent with what I have heard FIS skiers/coaches do. They are always focusing on maintaining pressure on the shovel and inside edge of their new inside ski early in the turn. I never hear them talk or worry about the new DH ski. Are you doing a solid low transition where your legs are both bent 90s degrees at transition?..Because doing high level turns, you HAVE to do that, which means you are ALWAYS in a crappy backseat position for a moment, and you have to recover from this. It is part of the game. Watch TriggerBoy62 How to CARVE LOW.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wasn't commenting on the concept of pulling the feet back, no problem with that at all! I was just saying the 2nd dude in the video didn't mention it. But what I find way more interesting and I have been saying this with a lot of push back. River says he starts from the bottom up .....from his BIG TOE!!! Turn starts with new OUTSIDE ski not THE INSIDE SKI. ;)
well of course, unless you're doing storks or white pass or uhh weighted release things.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I am glad the someone finally brought the big toe into this discussion. I would like to know how you can apply pressure with the big toe and actively dorsiflex (lift toes) the ankle simultaneously? I have my method but would like to hear from the experts first.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Let toes relax. Lift the top of the foot to the top on the boot.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
6 pages and the only conclusion I can come to is; t-rex would definitely be best. If you don’t agree with someone’s which toe where comments, you just bite their head off and go carve some turns.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am glad the someone finally brought the big toe into this discussion. I would like to know how you can apply pressure with the big toe and actively dorsiflex (lift toes) the ankle simultaneously? I have my method but would like to hear from the experts first.
You don't do anything with your big toe. In a turn, you have more then 1g of force, do is like 200 pounds on one leg, do you think you can support this on your toe?
You resist the force under your tibia.