• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ankle flexion

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have heard it on "here" plenty of times. I took note not names.

James

Out There
Instructor
It has been said that Plantar Flexion is not used much in skiing. I use it in the bumps, also when steering on low angle.
I have heard it on "here" plenty of times. I took note not names.
Yeah it seems to some that the only reason for plantarflexion is to reload the dorsiflexion function. Never mind you can't balance without it.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
It wasn't combative. He said one thing in one post and another more "descriptive" explanation in another post.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing is for sure-her brother is 100% right saying great many things/concepts in skiing are very easy to understand and incredibly hard to actually do.

Last edited:

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Yeah it seems to some that the only reason for plantarflexion is to reload the dorsiflexion function. Never mind you can't balance without it.

Is dorsiflexion and plantarflexion truly defined by a simple closing/opening of the ankle? To me, there is a huge difference in anatomical feeling between closing my ankle from the top down vs pulling my foot up. Same goes for plantar flexion when walking/running etc. and simply extending my foot in a downward motion.

By invoking dorsiflexion I can balance through my heels. By invoking plantarflexion, I can balance through my toes.
In a ski boot however, I can invoke dorsiflexion by raising my toes and foot to the top of the shell, but the design of the boot liner is to capture and hold my heel to the sole thus thwarting plantarflexion.

There is a saying in bump skiing that "tips go in first" and to that extent, I agree that a pointing down of the foot is necessary, but it is an initiation redirection of the skis not a pressure move. IMO.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
One thing is for sure-her brother is 100% right saying great many things/concepts in skiing is very easy to understand and incredibly hard to actually do.
It is also non intuitive in many instances. Who would have thunk that you build outside edge angle by shortening your inside leg?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is dorsiflexion and plantarflexion truly defined by a simple closing/opening of the ankle? To me, there is a huge difference in anatomical feeling between closing my ankle from the top down vs pulling my foot up. Same goes for plantar flexion when walking/running etc. and simply extending my foot in a downward motion.

By invoking dorsiflexion I can balance through my heels. By invoking plantarflexion, I can balance through my toes.
In a ski boot however, I can invoke dorsiflexion by raising my toes and foot to the top of the shell, but the design of the boot liner is to capture and hold my heel to the sole thus thwarting plantarflexion.

There is a saying in bump skiing that "tips go in first" and to that extent, I agree that a pointing down of the foot is necessary, but it is an initiation redirection of the skis not a pressure move. IMO.
Actually, if you point your toes down, you'll end up in the back seat.
Once you crest the bump, pull your feet back forcefully, this will bring your ski tips back in contact with the snow and get you forward.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That’s because Mother Nature never designed our bodies for going mach looney down icy slopes strapped onto a pair of planks. :ogbiggrin:

Not sure how to interpret this claim.....

Do you mean that, if given a blank slate, you'd change our design? (And if so, what changes would you want?)

Or...

That the problem is a pair of planks.... and that MN intended us to be snowboarders?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how to interpret this claim.....

Do you mean that, if given a blank slate, you'd change our design? (And if so, what changes would you want?)

Or...

That the problem is a pair of planks.... and that MN intended us to be snowboarders?

A TRex would have been much better starting point than a monkey, just think about it.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A TRex would have been much better starting point than a monkey, just think about it.

Don't know much about TRex physiology - so why a better starting point? Would have thought a limited cognitive capacity would be a problem for starters. Also, how would they buckle their ski boots and tune their skis with those short "arms"?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know much about TRex physiology - so why a better starting point? Would have thought a limited cognitive capacity would be a problem for starters. Also, how would they buckle their ski boots and tune their skis with those short "arms"?

Focus on “starting point” Cognitive capacity comes later, longer arms ditto.
The fore-aft balance would be amazing and natural, quad power-almost unlimited and that tail would help bigly in the sharp turns. But no, it had to be apes. That apart from being smart are good for not much at all.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Focus on “starting point” Cognitive capacity comes later, longer arms ditto.
The fore-aft balance would be amazing and natural, quad power-almost unlimited and that tail would help bigly in the sharp turns. But no, it had to be apes. That apart from being smart are good for not much at all.

How would it go with short/long legs? Does it have a subtalar joint for edging? Can it vary stance width to adjust for terrain, conditions and the trade-off between agility and stability? Can it angulate? Pretty wide feet - how would it deal with boot-out?

You sure you are not suffering from greener grass syndrome? (Yeah, I know - grasses hadn't evolved when trex was about.)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How would it go with short/long legs? Does it have a subtalar joint for edging? Can it vary stance width to adjust for terrain, conditions and the trade-off between agility and stability? Can it angulate? Pretty wide feet - how would it deal with boot-out?

You sure you are not suffering from greener grass syndrome? (Yeah, I know - grasses hadn't evolved when trex was about.)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Man please, just admit a TRex would have been better and stop with that monkeyism for Christ’s sake…:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought some of the interviews were very telling. Mabey not as detailed as some would like however.

First athlete talks about using ankle flexion to create movement in turn - being dynamic in the turn, not static, which we talk a lot about here.

Second athlete talks about it allowing him to be in a position where he can react to the terrain - be reactive- meaning have some suspension - you ski the ski - don't let the ski ski you. He also talks about pulling the new outside foot back at the top of the turn- key racing move - not talked about here much - lots of folks here talk about tipping and pulling back the new inside ski.
Nowhere did the 2nd athlete mention pulling the new outside ski back. What he said is he he thinks about ankle flexion at the very top of the turn and ABSOLUTELYY Crushes it.....NO MENTION OF PULL BACK ANYWHERE IN HIS EXPLANATION!

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nowhere did the 2nd athlete mention pulling the new outside ski back. What he said is he he thinks about ankle flexion at the very top of the turn and ABSOLUTELYY Crushes it.....NO MENTION OF PULL BACK ANYWHERE IN HIS EXPLANATION!
the girl at 4:12 mentions it...

my favorite on fore/aft is River Radamus dissing all coaches that talk about "get to the front of the skis" or "flex ankles" at 3:08 below... that guy is one smart cookie, has probably one of the best mental models for tech skiing I've seen in a while... and he can crank some wicked turns :golfclap:

It's like he can't stop talking about pulling the skis back :rolleyes:

Good to see you posting A-man, it's been a while!

:toast

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid