• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ankle strengthening without stressing knee, is it possible?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I severely sprained my ankle last year, with a bit of broken bone to go with it. Was immobilized for several weeks. It's now technically healed up. But I'm still feeling it being "weak" at various activities. When it comes to skiing, I noticed I'm not "closing my ankle" as normally as I used to. I have to think about it and focus on doing that. There're other minor differences too that I noticed...

There was the rehab protocol which includes strengthening of the ankle itself. But those were really for sedentary folks to get off the couch again. For example, there's no calf strengthening whilst my calf muscle is now visibly smaller on one leg vs the other.

In my younger days, I just let time do the trick. Eventually, I would build the muscle back up through doing the activities that requires ankle functions. And calf and quad muscles will eventually come back too. But as I'm now older, the time it takes for that to "eventually" happen is getting longer and longer. So there's more concern about developing compensating movement which may actually lead to other unwanted issues.

There're plenty of exercises I could find online to strengthening ankles, calf etc. But many of the sports oriented workouts involves weight, and are then stressful to the knee. I'm wondering if there're workouts that isolates the ankle/calk muscle groups and targets those without putting too much stress on the knee?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is Physical Therapy an option? They are good at putting together routines targeting specific areas without aggravating others. We had a good physical therapist on the forums before you found us, I'm pretty sure his practice grew to the point where he no longer has the time for it.

Hiking helps (depending on where you are at with the rehab). I'd say start in a mid high "light" hiking boot (not the big heavy high things used when carrying loaded backpacks), then moving on to sneaker type hiking and or trail running shoe which will be even better for strengthening ankles ... can also break an ankle too, be careful.

Inline skating is also good one, very easy on the joints and knees - until you fall. IMO, you'll want to start with a "Marathon skate" which will have cuff height somewhat lower than being in a cast like recreational, street and urban X-games type skate but not as low cut as an all out speed skate boot. And then there are the various strengthening and skating technique exercises speed skaters do. Paging @cantunamunch to the curtesy phone...

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Hiking helps (depending on where you are at with the rehab). I'd say start in a mid high "light" hiking boot (not the big heavy high things used when carrying loaded backpacks), then moving on to sneaker type hiking and or trail running shoe which will be even better for strengthening ankles ... can also break an ankle too, be careful.
That's what I loosely put into the category of "stressful for the knee" generic exercises that I know would help the ankle for sure "eventually". But I'm looking for "safer" exercises to get my ankle & calf to a better state before taking on the activities that would ultimately get them back to pre-injury level of athletic activities.

I do nordic skate. So I'll perhaps wait for @cantunamunch for more skate specific exercises.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Achilles stretches, yoga, walking. Balance board… ymmv

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Achilles stretches, yoga, walking.
The walking is great although it may take a little longer. Also if you start to feel pressure on the knees you just take shorter strides. Walking is the fitness method I use and the long strides can put pressure on the knees if it starts just backs off with shorter strides and you will feel better.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
The walking is great although it may take a little longer. Also if you start to feel pressure on the knees you just take shorter strides. Walking is the fitness method I use and the long strides can put pressure on the knees if it starts just backs off with shorter strides and you will feel better.
I'm beyond that.

Also, I live in a city setting. I walk plenty without having to do it purposely

I can even run, and am tempted to do some of that. But that's when I worry about doing my knees in...

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Without weight, seated in a recliner or similar, a bit of surgical tubing wrapped around the ball of the foot and the other end held in various positions for resistance from various directions, then draw the alphabet etc with your toes.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm beyond that.

Also, I live in a city setting. I walk plenty without having to do it purposely

I can even run, and am tempted to do some of that. But that's when I worry about doing my knees in...
I definitely would not run, too much impact on the body.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I severely sprained my ankle last year, with a bit of broken bone to go with it. Was immobilized for several weeks. It's now technically healed up. But I'm still feeling it being "weak" at various activities. When it comes to skiing, I noticed I'm not "closing my ankle" as normally as I used to. I have to think about it and focus on doing that. There're other minor differences too that I noticed...

There was the rehab protocol which includes strengthening of the ankle itself. But those were really for sedentary folks to get off the couch again. For example, there's no calf strengthening whilst my calf muscle is now visibly smaller on one leg vs the other.

In my younger days, I just let time do the trick. Eventually, I would build the muscle back up through doing the activities that requires ankle functions. And calf and quad muscles will eventually come back too. But as I'm now older, the time it takes for that to "eventually" happen is getting longer and longer. So there's more concern about developing compensating movement which may actually lead to other unwanted issues.

There're plenty of exercises I could find online to strengthening ankles, calf etc. But many of the sports oriented workouts involves weight, and are then stressful to the knee. I'm wondering if there're workouts that isolates the ankle/calk muscle groups and targets those without putting too much stress on the knee?
They others may not be visibly different but I'm better all the major muscle groups of that leg are noticeably weaker than pre-injury. If so then the cause of your lack of ankle closure may extend out further than the lower leg. My suggestion would be to start with gentle exercises that work on the entire leg.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You really need to a see a PT who works with high-performance outcomes. One who ideally has their Phd and / or Fellowship No one here is qualified to suggest a protocol. And if they were, they would not do so because it would not be prudent to do so without an assessment. There is a well-know and proven protocol for Achilles tendinopathy that will probably help you. However it does involve progressively adapting to heavy weights. If you want to stress the muscle and stimulate it into growing, you need that overload.

Yes, weights are stressful to your knees. And that is good. It stimulates cell division and the creation of a more robust structure. However providing the optimal environment for cell division is on you. If you have knee pain... that is an indication that somewhere you have a structural issue that may or may not have to do with your "knees".. Again, go see a PT.

I believe that SkiTalk Podcast is going to feature a PT in May. It may be worth checking out. His gig was as a PT in the Army, and returning soldiers to the field stronger than pre-injury condition. He is also a certified strength and conditioning coach.

Best to you.

Last edited:
TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
They others may not be visibly different but I'm better all the major muscle groups of that leg are noticeably weaker than pre-injury. If so then the cause of your lack of ankle closure may extend out further than the lower leg. My suggestion would be to start with gentle exercises that work on the entire leg.
That's a valid point. Clearly, my calf had weakened due to lack of "normal" use for several weeks. It wouldn't be too much a stretch to think similar had happen to the upper leg, if to a lessor degree.

That said, I've biked all summer since the injury. There's no discernable difference when climbing. So I think a lot of the rest of the legs has recovered from any such mild under-use related weakening. It's just the ankle itself needing to return to full strength. By that, I felt it's mostly the specific groups of muscles to do with the ankle function. Like jumping, twisting, stabilizing muscles.

My problem is, much of my recreation are high impact activities. Mountain biking, hiking, backpacking (and skiing). I've stayed away from those last summer while I was recovering from the injury. Skiing was what I thought the least affected as ankles are encased in a stiff boot. Still, I can SENSE the weakness.

Now I'm trying to build those muscles back up so I can do the more "high risk, high impact" summer activities. Naturally, I should ease into those activities. It's just that I feel the more I target some work on the ankle, the quicker (and safer) that process would be.

(I don't actually have any knee issues at the moment. But I also don't want to introduce any in the process of rehabbing my ankles)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's a valid point. Clearly, my calf had weakened due to lack of "normal" use for several weeks. It wouldn't be too much a stretch to think similar had happen to the upper leg, if to a lessor degree.

That said, I've biked all summer since the injury. There's no discernable difference when climbing. So I think a lot of the rest of the legs has recovered from any such mild under-use related weakening. It's just the ankle itself needing to return to full strength. By that, I felt it's mostly the specific groups of muscles to do with the ankle function. Like jumping, twisting, stabilizing muscles.

My problem is, much of my recreation are high impact activities. Mountain biking, hiking, backpacking (and skiing). I've stayed away from those last summer while I was recovering from the injury. Skiing was what I thought the least affected as ankles are encased in a stiff boot. Still, I can SENSE the weakness.

Now I'm trying to build those muscles back up so I can do the more "high risk, high impact" summer activities. Naturally, I should ease into those activities. It's just that I feel the more I target some work on the ankle, the quicker (and safer) that process would be.

(I don't actually have any knee issues at the moment. But I also don't want to introduce any in the process of rehabbing my ankles)

Have a somewhat similar issue with my right wrist broken 10 weeks ago.

Like the wrist the ankle is too confined to have much muscle located in it. So it's a matter of strengthening the muscles that articulate the joint but reside mostly outside it. And especially the ones we use in skiing - like the Tibialis Anterior, Extensor Digitorum Longus and Peroneus Longus. Isometrics for the feet probably a good start.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Have a somewhat similar issue with my right wrist broken 10 weeks ago.

Like the wrist the ankle is too confined to have much muscle located in it. So it's a matter of strengthening the muscles that articulate the joint but reside mostly outside it. And especially the ones we use in skiing - like the Tibialis Anterior, Extensor Digitorum Longus and Peroneus Longus. Isometrics for the feet probably a good start.
True.

But skiing is just the tip of the iceberg, and is the least important.

Backpacking and hiking in rough terrain is far more of a concern than skiing.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ruptured my achilles a little over a year ago. After surgery and my cast coming off a lot of my PT involved heel raises and resistance bands. My girlfriend is a physical therapist. She came up with this for you.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i had a calf strain a year back.
Besides the more static exercises that you can lookup; I feel what helped me improve the most was more of the dynamic footwork /agility type exercises.
All without any resistances or weights.

e.g.
jogging for 10yards, forward and backwards
sidesteps and crossovers
jogging in both big and small circles and figure 8s as strength improves
jogging/moving in box pattern.

Of course you can ramp up from mellow jog, to running, to explosive quickness as your body allows.

There is often an agility ladder marked out on the floor in many gyms. You can look up footwork/agility drills that utilize that as well

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I NEVER thought I'd ever hear that walking in heels could be good for you :roflmao:
But I'm going to try some of those, thanks!
I think the reference was to walking ON heels, with toes lifted. Barefoot. Or standing that way for some length of time.

It strengthens the anterior tibialis muscle, which is primarily responsible for dorsiflexion.

Sponsor