• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Anon M2 goggles. quick review

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good point. I'm the same way, but I just carry a second goggle in my pocket, not much more space that a spare lens. Actually I used to carry a second goggle, as I said, I now just use the NXT. It's supposedly photo chromatic, so it adjusts, but I honestly don't see a huge difference in light transmission. But the clarity I definitely see.
I have a hard time carrying two sets of goggles, mostly because "the girls" take up the extra space in my jacket. :)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I wish I knew more about the materials you're talking about. This is an area that I will be doing some better research and would love to talk to you more about.

I was fortunate enough to get the POC Fovea which has a Zeiss lens (actually the goggles in my avatar)
I'm really impressed with the optics and see that POC is using Zeiss lens' in more of their models.

As for Anon M2, I haven't skied in it but I like the features and had hoped to get some snow time with it, but it was one of the products that was sent back after writing our guide information.
Look behind the optics brand. Even a crappy race ski will have better edge hold than a consumer carver, it's just made differently. Same thing with goggle lenses. I am only familiar with POC regular lenses pre-Zeiss. They were, frankly, garbage compared to Smith or even Oakley. I fully expect that an NXT Smith lens, if such thing existed, would be stellar. I wish I could buy that for the IOX, that would be my dream goggle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Good point. I'm the same way, but I just carry a second goggle in my pocket, not much more space that a spare lens. Actually I used to carry a second goggle, as I said, I now just use the NXT. It's supposedly photo chromatic, so it adjusts, but I honestly don't see a huge difference in light transmission. But the clarity I definitely see.

A lens that adjusts for light conditions does sound handy. It would be interesting to compare for clarity. Will you be at Mother's Day perchance?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's in Colorado? Unfortunately not...

It is. A Basin is the only place I know of that can have decent (last season, stellar) skiing in late May.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Apropos of nothing:

I just ordered the Silver Amber lenses for my Anon goggles. The shop guy at Craniologie in Breck seemed pretty knowledgeable, and that's the lens he recommended for me - last spring you couldn't find one anywhere for love or money. The Anon site describes it as "Amber base lens with a Silver Mirror for the best all around lens from low, flat to brighter light." If it's the best all-around lens, why didn't it come with the goggle in the first place??? Now I've bought super expensive goggles, plus a meh all-around lens because this one was out of stock, and now this one.

I shall report on whether the Silver Amber lens is truly an improvement.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife has some real eye problems. Her retina is partially detached and she has retina floaters. Even subtle Low light conditions for her are crazy, all she sees is a whiteout when I can see almost every nuance of the snow. She uses low light lenses, but they only help so much. And when the sun comes out midway down the slope, she's blind from too much light. So she needs a quick change lens, since I can't convince her to carry two goggles - no pockets big enough in her shapely ski jacket ;) If we're skiing together, I'll wind up swapping my sun lense goggles with her midway down if the sun pops out. So these M2's sound intriguing, but what Alexn is say about the NXT lenes has me thinking that might be a better option for her. Is POC the only manufacturer that uses NXT lenses?

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
I have Silver Amber and it covers a really wide range... which is great for touring days in particular.

As for POC - I wasn't crazy about the fit and they were a little tall against my helmet, pushing them down on my nose more than I'd like. Same deal for the Oakley Flightdecks.

I'd much rather not carry around another pair of goggles, either.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have Silver Amber and it covers a really wide range... which is great for touring days in particular.

Thanks! That helps a lot when I've just dropped almost $100 on a hope. That is, assuming they really have it in stock ... unlike last season, when it took them several days after I ordered them to let me know that they weren't available =/

*fingers crossed*

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
As far as I know POC may be the only one brand with NXT goggle lens nnow. Rumor has it that Smith will release Trivex (NXT) google lenses next year. Smith version is called ChromaPop (yes, you heard it first time here on PugSki;-). Smith feeds you a lot of stuff about color filtering and such when they talk about ChromaPop, but the real reason these lenses are noticeably better is Trivex. So my dream of NXT Smith, is becoming reality next year;-).

Yes I'm not crazy about POC fit as well. The damn goggle even clanks against the helmet (also POC!). But the NXT lens made up for all that for me. Keep in mind that NXT is different and much more expensive than regular POC (about $80-100 premium on MSRP).

Btw, I don't know for sure what Anon uses for their lenses, but by all accounts it's regular polycarbonate.

Also, in case you are curious, Blisters' write up on CromaPop is uncharacteristically full of BS.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
With regard to Anon, I went to the FAQ (looking for lens info) and saw this. It hadn't even occurred to me to worry about beacon interactions!

WILL THE MAGNETS IN THE MAGNA-TECH GOGGLES OR MFI GOGGLE FRAME/CARRIER AFFECT MY MEDICAL DEVICE OR AVALANCHE TRANSCEIVER?
SMALL HIGH-POWERED MAGNETS ARE EMBEDDED IN THE FRAME, LENS AND / OR FACE MASK OF THE FOLLOWING GOGGLE MODELS: M3, M2, WM1, M1, MIG, SELECT COLORS OF THE RELAPSE, DERINGER, AND RELAPSE JR.

These magnets are intended to remain embedded in the product and must not be pried out or otherwise removed, as loose magnets can pose a risk of injury or death to children if the magnets are swallowed or inhaled.

IF YOU HAVE AN IMPLANTED CARDIAC DEVICE: This product may be harmful.
 Keep this product at least 30cm away.

IF YOU USE AVALANCHE TRANSCEIVERS: Know the devices you are using and understand the effects magnets may have on your device. If applicable know the safe distance from such device.

INSULIN PUMPS AND GLUCOSE MONITORS: Do not expose to this product.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Chromapop is pretty much a green filter isn't it?

The Anon Green Solex lens is fantastic. Great glare reduction. I would like to try that Pink Cobalt though

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
unless you hold your beacon right in front of your goggles, it will have little effect. FAR less than your Ipod or cell phone.

The interference is on the receiving end, not the transmitting end.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They're fine. Just don't stash your beacon in your goggle strap.

Well, GREAT. There goes my WHOLE PLAN to dangle my beacon from my goggles. I was going to start a whole new fashion movement. Super secure, too!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Chromapop is pretty much a green filter isn't it?

Not really. The main reason why they work is that they are made of Trivex instead of polycarbonate. The filter is no better or worse than a lot of other brands. The only other sunglasses brand that I know that used Trivex is Costa del Mar. Not sure about Kaenon. They claim some proprietary plastic, but you know it's either polycarbonate or Trivex, as nothing else is approved for sports eyewear. (Correction: Kaenon is Trivex)

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The value of this thread is a lot of real on-the-mountain experiences with goggles exchanged. A friend who is great at HR team building has a saying "We all have the truth", said a different way " Your mileage may vary", both speak to the need to experience a goggle on your own.
Last year, I believed my eyes to be light sensitive, after reading some of the above, I'm sure not as sensitive as some.

I did my first real goggle upgrade to the Smith IO/X, a lens that set the standard for many years for low light performance with the various sensor lenses, mine happened to be red. The major reason for the purchase was the proven track record of the sensor lens, did not want to get caught up in marketing hype. To-date, been very pleased, and surprised, by how well using the red sensor works as a full range lens, I did not have to change to the darker lens even in the sunny eastern spring conditions. I ski a trail that goes from full sunlight to total shade and remain impressed with how well the lens works in both. Ron spoke to the need to get a goggle that fits your face, I lucked out, no fogging, but I don't get to ski the powder he does. While I did my best to keep the lens from getting scratched, the daily wear and tear is visible.

Would love to try the Anon in low light or near white out as that's when we need all the help we can get. And, yup, a fast easy lens change is far better than the Smith system.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My Silver Amber lenses arrived shockingly fast - apparently Anon distributes their sales out to local shops, which is cool - and I'll be able to test them today!

@Living Proof - my sensitivity to light is definitely the result of eye surgery. It was most profound with the first surgery. The second didn't help.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The value of this thread is a lot of real on-the-mountain experiences with goggles exchanged. A friend who is great at HR team building has a saying "We all have the truth", said a different way " Your mileage may vary", both speak to the need to experience a goggle on your own.
Last year, I believed my eyes to be light sensitive, after reading some of the above, I'm sure not as sensitive as some.

I did my first real goggle upgrade to the Smith IO/X, a lens that set the standard for many years for low light performance with the various sensor lenses, mine happened to be red. The major reason for the purchase was the proven track record of the sensor lens, did not want to get caught up in marketing hype. To-date, been very pleased, and surprised, by how well using the red sensor works as a full range lens, I did not have to change to the darker lens even in the sunny eastern spring conditions. I ski a trail that goes from full sunlight to total shade and remain impressed with how well the lens works in both. Ron spoke to the need to get a goggle that fits your face, I lucked out, no fogging, but I don't get to ski the powder he does. While I did my best to keep the lens from getting scratched, the daily wear and tear is visible.

Would love to try the Anon in low light or near white out as that's when we need all the help we can get. And, yup, a fast easy lens change is far better than the Smith system.

Ymmv cannot be stressed enough when testing goggle lens Second of course is fit. Again, ymmv.

The truth "is" Mike, it is constant. perception of events may vary by individuals but never the truth. (Zen moment of the day).

Sponsor